Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another disconnects / drop in speed problem thread

This is a discussion on Another disconnects / drop in speed problem thread within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, new here, not sure if this should have gone in another similar thread or whether starting a new thread ...

kovacs77 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: St Annes
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Another disconnects / drop in speed problem thread

Hi, new here, not sure if this should have gone in another similar thread or whether starting a new thread is the done thing?

Over the last week, my Sky Unlimited connection has been dropping off for a few minutes here and there, but quite regularly. I can still connect to my Netgear DG834GT, all the lights stay on and nothing in the router's menus seem to indicate that it's offline, but the little planet icon on the newtork status icon at the bottom right disappears.

Also, my sync rate has dropped with each disconnection, my SNR has dropped, my speedtest results are all over the place, from 13.65Mb/s down to less than half a Mb/s. Got weird problems with Grabit and Giganews as well, but that may not be related (full speeds until there's only one or two files left in the queue, then a drop down to barely 10 KB/s).

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could see anything in these stats that might have caused this. I've had a rocksolid connection with Sky for a few years now, I'm guessing DLM may be playing a part in this but I'm not sure how and why...

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 17533 kbps 780 kbps
      Line Attenuation 22.5 db 21.0 db
      Noise Margin 6.8 db 7.4 db

That Downstream Noise Margin has been fluctuating around 7.0 db for the last week, I'm sure it used to be better that that.

I've got the results from the Ping Test from Mels' Notes as well if that's any use, but I didn't want my first post to exceed 1,000 lines of text haha!

Cheers,
      Jamie
      Last edited by kovacs77; 25-10-09 at 11:31 AM. Reason: typos galore..

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Another disconnects / drop in speed problem thread

wired or wireless?
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Wireless or wired really, I've checked it out with the Ethernet connected.

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Your upstream noise margin is a bit low for your present sync. How are you connected, through an extension, direct to the master socket etc? Can you plug into your test socket and take the stats from there? Also try changing your filters, these are sometimes the cause of a poor upstream performance.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

I'm connected directly to the master socket, no extensions etc. Unfortunately, I've got no test socket, the master socket is one of the old ones (with the 'T' BT Logo http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...x-LJ_Front.jpg ). I've nothing else connected anywhere in the house, just master socket > filter > router. I'll give the suggestion of a new filter a go, I'm sure I've got one lying around somewhere...

Could this be caused by DLM then? Up to a week or two ago, I was synching at 19050 kpps downstream. During these connection drops, the downstream sync rate changes but the upstream has stayed the same, about 780 kbps. I thought my upstream rate should have increased to over 1mbps?

thanks for the responses, by the way!

Thanks

You do not have enough noise margin to increase your up load speed, you are gettig as much as possible under the present circumstances.

If your Master socket is not a BT Openreach one, take the faceplate of and pull the wire off the No 3 terminal. This is the ring wire, is not required when using filters and can cause interference. Openreach sockets have a ring filter fitted, so there is nothing to be gained from removing the ring wire.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

There's only two wires connected inside the socket, 2 and 5, I guess this is as good as I'm going to get... annoying as I can see the exchange from my top bedroom!

The wiring into my house is all in a pretty poor condition, the master socket faceplate is actually upside down because the wires inside are too short for it to be put on the right way up! I think the previous owners may have done a bit of DIY wiring, can't see a BT engineer doing that? It's also all scratched, scuffed and splattered in plaster.

I've moved my line rental over to Sky, if I wanted someone to come out and replace the master socket with an nte5 socket (I know I'd have to pay, annoyingly), would it be Sky or is it still BT Openreach?

Thanks

If your rental is with Sky you will have to call them, although it will still be BT Openreach who do the actual work.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Got a reply from Sky saying "I have reconfigured your line to accept 20Mbps. However your line is only training in at 17260Kbps" and telling me to try changing the microfilter.

This may have absolutely no bearing on anything but, I was speaking to my neighbour last night about our broadband speeds and we compared line stats, these are his:

Down Up
      Data rate (Kbps)
      7680 448
      Noise margin (dB)
      11.5 24.0
      Output power (dBm)
      19.8 11.9
      Attenuation (dB)
      25.0 15.0

compared to mine at the exact same time
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 17804 kbps 784 kbps
      Line Attenuation 22.5 db 20.9 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 7.3 db

we both plug into our master sockets.

he's on BT and I'm on Sky but we both connect to the same exchange. Why would there be such a difference in attenuation and SNR, we connect to the same pole. Would a recent drop in my SNR point to problems with my drop cable?

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

You are connected at a much faster sync rate, as the sync speed goes up, the noise margin goes down. Also you will be on ADSL2 which is Sky's LLU and he is still on G.DMT with BT.

He is syncing at 8mb you are at 17mb if he were to go onto the Sky LLU then chances are your stats would be similar, he would get a much faster speed than he currently gets (over double) it would be unlimited and no traffic shaping.

No brainer really!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast