Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Help needed with game ports

This is a discussion on Help needed with game ports within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, I'm a complete newbie to messing with routers so please forgive my ignorance. I'm trying to play Links ...

Goldwinger is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01268
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid/Everyday
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Help needed with game ports

Hi all, I'm a complete newbie to messing with routers so please forgive my ignorance. I'm trying to play Links 2003 golf online. My sagem router died and Sky sent me a new one on Saturday last. I went online and played using the direct connection option via an ip addy. We played again Sunday with no problems but when I tried again on Monday, I got connection failed. Under advice, I installed GameRanger, an online gaming area where peeps can play all sorts of games by opening rooms. GR didn't work so looking at their help section I needed to set up port forwarding. I duly set up 9 ports as per instructions using 192.168.0.1 (the default) under the firewall lan server ip addy. failed. Then I changed the lan server ip to 192.168.0.2 (the addy for my pc) failed. ok, the known anomalies are if my mate pings me, np but if I ping him, fails. if we make a room with direct con, he can see us both in room but I only see me. If i send a wav file while in room he can hear it but if he sends, I can't. If I start a game with GR he gets booted back to room but if he starts a game there, I get "con failed". I tried setting up a static ip (192.168.0.13)using windows (Vista) but ip given from router was nothing like that. Does any of this make sense ? I've spent about 10 hours now trying everything I can find on internet but nothing works, where am I going wrong? Thanks in advance. Ian

2. Advertisement
      Thanks

Re: Help needed with game ports

I just tried running BsUPnp an automatic port forwarding prog and it says my Upnp is turned off but I checked and it's ticked as turned on...............
      BTW I have no idea as to the model of my modem, it's Sky & Sagem but there are no model numbers.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Try following the instructions given here-
      Port Forwarding Links on the Sagem Fast2504

Don't skip any steps or it will fail.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Thanks for that but I've done that already. All the correct ports are open and I've checked them with PFchecker. It says to use a static ip so I followed the instructions and set it as 192.168.0.13 but the router ignored that and gave me a different ip. I know the router uses DHCP so I called Sky (please dont laugh) and a very nice lady in Mumbai said that I must not use a static ip, my router was correctly set up and I need to speak to Sagem but they don't have a number for them. I did find out the model after a long wait, it's a Sagemf@st 2504, but you all knew that. I looked on the Sagem website but of course, as they make that model for Sky, there's nowt about it on there. HELP.

Thanks

a very nice lady in Mumbai said that I must not use a static ip, my router was correctly set up and I need to speak to Sagem
      Rubbish, you can use a fixed IP address if you want to.

If you have set the fixed IP up properly in the LAN Properties of your PC, the router should be accepting it, even if it is set to DHCP. To ensure it does not give the address out to another machine, you can use the Address Reservation list in the LAN IP settings of the router. In fact that may be the best thing for you to try. Do this- go to the LAN Properties of your PC and set them to 'Obtain an IP address automatically'. Now reboot your PC and go to the router settings. Click the LAN IP setup link and where it says Address Reservation List, click Add. All the machines currently connected to the router will be shown. Choose yours by clicking the radio button then click Add to put it on the list. Each time your PC connects it will be given this address. Remember to click apply when you have made the changes.

Make the neccessary changes to your port addresses and that should be it.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Now it gets really weird. Having tried everything possible, I was chatting on GameRanger and a guy said "I bet you're using Sky" He said he's been trying for months to get the game to work and as usual, the Mumbai Muppets are useless.
      So he gives me his number, I call him and we start all over again.We both did the following: Reset router, try game, fail. Add 5 ports used for game, try game, SUCCESS! Great, problem sorted with no static ip or anything else complicated. 2 hours later, I open a game with a friend in NJ and guess what? Yup, no connection. I ended up resetting router to factory defaults, then adding the ports and it worked. Now, during all my messing about I found that when I pinged my friend in NJ, I get a full fail, no packets returned. I assumed this was stopping the connection but after reset it worked even with no ping? The second strange thing is I ran BaPNuP (a free port forwarding prog) and it told me that it couldn't find a upnp router, try turning p&p on. It was turned on? So although I can play the game I think I'm going to be resetting every day which is surely not right. I'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks

Did you take my advice above about reserving your PC IP address? Port forwarding will not work correctly if you don't.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Thanks

Actually no, but i will try that. I think I did so much messing about that when it worked, I thought it wasn't neccessary, I'll do it now.

Thanks

Final update. Met a guy in GameRanger yesterday, who offered advice as he had also spent many fun hours trying to configure his router. As you correctly pointed out Isitme, I needed the lan ip reserved. The final piece to this jigsaw was to turn OFF upnp. Sods law at work again as I went out and bought another router yesterday at 16.40, when I returned home this chap had messaged me about helping and we got it sorted. Many thanks for your advice Isitme.