Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

wireless gaming ok?

This is a discussion on wireless gaming ok? within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi Previously used ethernet, but relocated the router to hopefully get the best connection after DLM . So now looking ...

joe pineapples is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLBAL. (Balby)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

wireless gaming ok?

Hi

Previously used ethernet, but relocated the router to hopefully get the best connection after DLM. So now looking at needing a wireless USB or PCI adaptor for the main pc. Assuming i get a god signal, what i wanted to know is if anyone else has compared their online gaming experience, between wired and wireless?, are there performance overheads through USB?, worse pings or the same in general?.

Using a V1 (sky) Netgear router (flashed with netgear firmware), so would be llooking at the best possible adaptor to get the most out of that. I play mostly driving games, so close racing + least lag is paramount.

thanks
      joe

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: wireless gaming ok?

wireless and gaming are not recomended, interferrence from other radio sources can be very high and even though the PC says good signal there can still be a lot of lag associated with the wireless connection.

You can still game on ethernet by getting powerline homeplugs, these things turn your electrical system into ethernet wires and I have been using them for months and had no problems.

I am getting somewhere in the region of 70-75 meg/sec on the home network.

Amazon do a set for around 40 for the basic 85 meg/sec variety.

Max Value 85 Mbps Home Plug Double Unit Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

I have been using these since the Netgear ones went poof and have been great.

As they are ethernet ports they can be attached to your router at one end and either straight into your PC wherever it is or into a switch if you need to connect more stuff up to it.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

joe pineapples is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SLBAL. (Balby)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Freesat
      Thanks

Thanks Adrian, i thought i had read of similar opinions on wireless gaming, (so looks like i did). Funny you should mention the homeplug devices, as that was my first idea, - a pair of comtrend powerline adaptors. However, a mate of mine reckons they can be problematic through extension sockets, rather than plugged straight into the wall -something where the router end one would have to be located, so that put me off those too .

I think the solution is to persuade my mate to bring his own set around and i can test

joss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Adwick-le-Street
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+HDmultiroom
      Thanks

You just can not better Ethernet wired connection. Period.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Or depending on the route from router to pc a nice long cheap as chips ethernet cable.
      I know this is not practical for some. I was in the fortunate position of having just moved in to my house and so ran it under the floorboards while they were up for other works. It really is the best option, with homeplugs coming a close second. No need to comment on the wireless as you seem to have got the message

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

I have got the homeplugs on extentions and they run ok, they are cheap extentions from ASDA with no power surge protection, but I even tried it with the UPS to see and they worked well.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!