Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

World of Warcraft high latency

This is a discussion on World of Warcraft high latency within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; been using sky for a very long time now and always been happy, for the last year or so ive ...

TheHaro is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

World of Warcraft high latency

been using sky for a very long time now and always been happy, for the last year or so ive been getting around 50-100 latency while playing world of warcraft but in the last 3 days or so ive been getting spikes of 500-1000 and random disconnects,At first I restarted the router because i thought it could need it to refresh or something but that didnt work at all, still same latency and alot of lagg, then I thought it was the game servers and nothing to do with my end, I asked a few friends who live locally who also play warcraft but arent on Sky to check their latency, I ask 5 friends, 4 of them had 50-100 and the other had 35ms latency, they are on VirginBE and 1 i forgot, so it couldnt be the game servers with them kinda numbers, they all use vista like me with anti virus and firewalls all enabled and exceptions for the game itself...

So i determined it was my end, something to do with Sky or my computer, I diabled all anti virus and windows firewall, everything, opened WoW and STILL high latency and lagg, so enabled all that again, then tried the faster ping trick : World of Warcraft: Smart fix allows you to drop your ping by 150 | SK Gaming
      but that also seemed to do nothing just constant high latency and insane lagging, Ive then called Sky about it and they have said eveything looks fine on their end, ive even got faster upload and download speeds apparently.....

The game servers i connect to are in paris so I did a speed check with them and this is what i got:

says 34 ms on that test but in the game over 500-1000 and lagg...

I just dont know what to do next im pulling my hair out :P please help.

2. Advertisement
      Andy17 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Woodhouse (SLWD)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fiber Max
      Router: Sky Q Hub
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: World of Warcraft high latency

Could you post your stats first.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks

There is nothing wrong with those stats, they look fine.

It may not do anything but you could try TCPOptimizer, it may help it may not. It is really for slow throughput but try it.

Thanks

Alos you could try.
      Go to start Run and type cmd, then in the window type ping bbc.co.uk, this will give a ping time to the bbc servers.

Exchange:
      Thanks

wow that TCPOptimizer seemed to fix it....now hanging around 200ms latency which is perfect, asked my friends in the game what they are getting and they are also getting around 200 at the moment so it seems its normal....

so for 1 year ive used it and always had good latency what could of caused it to suddenly go bad? :S

Thanks

Not really sure why it was o.k then and not now, but the main thing is than TCPOptimizer has fix the problem, maybe luck who knows.

Glad your problem is sorted.

GuvnerUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208 421
      Thanks

This is odd. I too am a regular player of WoW using the Max package for the last year at least. About a week (maybe two) ago I noticed my connection started to drop and my latency went from a fairly consist 200ms to spikes of up to 1000 / 2000 and often settles around the 400ms mark. I have also noticed problems with browsing the web, streaming vids too and last night my connection just kept halting and starting again although the routers connection never actually disconnected. It would burst to full speed then just grind to a halt every minute or two.

I have reset my white netgear to factory settings and reconfigured, checked all connections and made sure I was only running the one pc for a while to see if this was effecting it, all to no avail.

I will do more tests tonight (check some more cables, plug directly into the test socket on the wall although I use wireless phones and have no extensions in the house.)

Right now I am convinced that something has happened somewhere between my exchange and Sky although I want to do more local tests at home to be sure before I head off to sky and chase. I will try the optimiser you have suggested although i find it odd that I would need to alter settings on my end when I have changed nothing (but you never know).

GuvnerUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 0208 421
      Thanks

Hmmm I have tried isolating the fault everywhere from network drivers to the socket into the wall and tonight I was getting pings of over 1000ms in game and lots of random dc's. Of oucrse its unplayable like this too.

System Up Time 00:03:51
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 1412 3250 0 2104 10105 00:02:58
      LAN 10M/100M 602 8 0 535 6 00:03:48
      WLAN 11M/54M 4210 2295 0 9771 2516 00:03:42

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 3488 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 61.0 db 31.5 db
      Noise Margin 7.1 db 7.0 db

Above is my current status figures. Am I right in thinking I am getting ridiculous line noise? I have always only had a 3.5mbps connection so the actual download speeds are fine its purely the ridiculous latency thats the problem

Truegrace is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Ive had exactly the same problem since late sunday evening, after trying pretty much everything with no luck im about to give up and go with another isp.

Had no troubles at all up until now, dont normally even lag in dalaran.

Managed to get a few hours lag spike free last night, so thought it was fixed, only to log on today to find my latency in the 10000 range, and dc'ing every min or so.

Luckily im not tied to my contract any more, as far as I'm aware, will give sky til the weekend, if its still like this im gonna have to go elsewhere.

QQ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast