Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Router with QOS

This is a discussion on Router with QOS within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, Since installing IE 8 (maybe just a coincidence) on all my PC's I’ve noticed my ping fluctuating in games ...

Focus2000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

Router with QOS

Hi,

Since installing IE 8 (maybe just a coincidence) on all my PC's I’ve noticed my ping fluctuating in games when other family members are browsing the net etc (didn’t happen before so dont know what IE 8 is doing, possibly the increased in allowable connections).

Question is (hopefully someone has already done this). If I get a router, e.g. Linksys WRT54GL and flash it with DD-WRT and connect to the Sky router (DG834GT, dont want to risk breaking conditions). Will QOS sort it out?

Cheers,
      Steve.

2. Advertisement
      slickric21 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Eacos
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet Fibre
      Router: Netgear 3800 DD-WRT
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Router with QOS

Quote Originally Posted by Focus2000 View Post
      Hi,

Since installing IE 8 (maybe just a coincidence) on all my PC's Iíve noticed my ping fluctuating in games when other family members are browsing the net etc (didnít happen before so dont know what IE 8 is doing, possibly the increased in allowable connections).

Question is (hopefully someone has already done this). If I get a router, e.g. Linksys WRT54GL and flash it with DD-WRT and connect to the Sky router (DG834GT, dont want to risk breaking conditions). Will QOS sort it out?

Cheers,
      Steve.
      I used a Dlink DGL-4300 router with "gamefuel" QoS very successfully for a few years on Virgin cable and then with a Linksy Am200 modem in half bridge with Ukonline ADSL.
      It did work very well yes.... giving me a nice stable ping regardless of what others were doing on my network.

At the moment i'm using a Billion 7402nx which also has QoS, but it has to be setup manually and not played with it yet.

What you are suggesting by still using the Skyrouter I think would work just as well, but bear in mind you would be doubled NAT'd and need to turn off the firewall features etc etc in the Netgear. It doens't do half bridge which is a shame.

Focus2000 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: FreeSat
      Thanks

Re: Router with QOS

Maybe i should get one of these: GS108T - ProSafeģ 8-Port Gigabit Smart Switch bit pricy though or ill look into what might be causing the lag a bit more first.