Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Xbox 360 and PS3 Gaming on Sky Broadband - COD4 and Halo 3 Problems

This is a discussion on Xbox 360 and PS3 Gaming on Sky Broadband - COD4 and Halo 3 Problems within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi there, this is my first post. So Hello I'm Hamza, and I'm having a few problems gaming online with ...

HamZa is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Xbox 360 and PS3 Gaming on Sky Broadband - COD4 and Halo 3 Problems

Hi there, this is my first post. So Hello

I'm Hamza, and I'm having a few problems gaming online with my Xbox 360, particularly the games Call of Duty 4 and Halo 3.

In Call of Duty, it takes me forever to join games. Once I eventually get into a game, I lag. It's weird, because sometimes, in games such as COD, it will say I have a '4 bar connection' but I'll randomly jump all over the place Also, I'll shoot an enemy and it doesn't seem to 'detect' it.

Another problem I have is on Halo 3. It takes me even longer to join a game, and says something about a 'Strict NAT. I tried something called port forwarding once, but I don't think I did it properly. My Xbox said the NAT was open. But a day later it went back to strict

ANOTHER problem I have is when I play on my PS3. My playstation 3 is in another room to my router, which means I have to play on wireless (My xbox is wired through ethernet). When I play on wireless, it randomly times out. About once every hour The PS3 is still only one room away from the router on the same floor, about 10 metres away, so I don't understand the problem.

What I don't understand, is the fact that my download speeds on my computer are quite good. I'm on the Sky Max/unlimited package, and I can sometimes download files at 1.0-1.5 mbps, which is good I think. So why am I having these problems when gaming ?

If it helps at all, when I play on COD2. It tells you your 'ping'. I don't know what that is, but its usually about 250 on COD2. And when I do a speedtest on that speedtest website, it usually comes at like 55-60 ms. Those numbers mean nothing to me, but they might be useful for whoever can solve my problem.

Sorry if I wrote a little too much, but I really do want this problem sorted. Thanks for your help

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Xbox 360 and PS3 Gaming on Sky Broadband - COD4 and Halo 3 Problems

Ping, this is the time it takes for the data you send to get where it's going, when gaming, the quicker it get's there the better, otherwise when you press the button to shoot, the other player will have moved before it gets there.

You should fill in the online KANA form on the Sky website and ask for your Max Delays to be reduced to 8 to improve gaming. This normally takes around 3 days and should see you pring nearly halved.

Second, you need to wire in the PS3 or buy a couple of homeplugs, wireless is to slow for gaming.

Third, you need to get your NAT to open again, there are many tutorials around to do this, it can take a bit of messing around but will mean that you can join games a lot quicker.