Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Horrendously Slow Xbox Marketplace

This is a discussion on Horrendously Slow Xbox Marketplace within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, I have just recently moved out my parents house and into my own home. I was with NDO(Namesco) ...

fonz600 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Horrendously Slow Xbox Marketplace

Hi all,

I have just recently moved out my parents house and into my own home. I was with NDO(Namesco) for 5 years as my broadband provider and had faultless service. I am now with Sky Connect (because Max ain't available in my area) and my speeds are very very slow.

I was issued with a Sagem Router and having had a Netgear DG834GT previously I was outting my terrible speeds down to that so I switched routers to my Netgear and still the same.

When on Xbox Live and using the Marketplace I could be sitting for anything up to 5 mins a time while going through various menus before it will load up the screens. At my parents house everything was instant, no waiting on menu screens loading up.

Also when I eventually find a video or demo i want to download, the speeds are horrendously slow. I have manually opened ports 88 and 3074 and still no difference. At my parents all I did was plug the router in and enter my username and password and that was it.

If I do a speed check online it comes back with decent speeds, however when browsing the net and actually downloading files it is a different story. Is this a router issue or an issue I should be chasing Sky up with?

I live in a new build house where the lines were tested by BT in front of me when they activated the line and have also tried plugging the router straight into the main BT service plug to no difference.

Any ideas other than the phone number for the help desk for broadband?

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Horrendously Slow Xbox Marketplace

Are you using wireless, if so try a wire.

Also you shoul dbe aware that Sky Connect is not a very good service for gamers, in fact it is bloody awful. If you can move ISP now, I would.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

fonz600
      Hi have you had a look at
      In addition to the monthly Usage Cap, this Traffic Management Policy applies to you if you take Sky Broadband Connect.
      Excessive use during peak time

We will monitor your Sky Broadband usage during peak times from 5pm to 12am each day. This is when the majority of customers use the network and when speeds could be affected by the excessive usage of a minority. If we consider that your usage is excessive during peak times we may slow down your connection for the rest of the day so that it has less affect on others. Only a very small number of customers will be affected by this (less than 2%). If you are affected, we will only slow down the speed you can get during peak times for applications which use a lot of bandwidth (for example, streaming, peer-to-peer and newsgroups) and which have a negative effect on other customers. You will still be able to use Sky Broadband to do other things normally such as browsing, email, instant messaging and VOIP. There are no restrictions in place outside of peak times.

Traffic management of our Network

To ensure we provide a sustainable quality broadband service to our customers, we continuously monitor and efficiently manage the Sky Network as a whole. To do this, during peak times (from 5pm to 12am each day), we may slow down the speed that all Sky Broadband Connect customers can get on certain applications which we consider use up a lot of bandwidth (for example peer-to-peer and newsgroups) and which have a negative affect on other customers There are no restrictions in place for applications such as browsing, email, streaming, instant messaging and VOIP during peak times. We do not put restrictions on our network outside of peak times.
      Quote:
      at the moment connect Customers are having problems from 9am till 1am. Traffic Shaping seems to be running for 16 out of 24hrs there is a lot of connect Customers on Skyuser that are complaining with problems throughout the day
      I hope this explains some of the connect package problems

Exchange:
      Thanks

I am using wireless but i tried wired too and it's just as bad. I was only getting half a meg downloads the other day so called sky and after around 40 mins of trying everything i had already tried i was told that because in my router settings it stated i had connected at 8 meg then i have 8 meg.
      They just wouldn't listen when i tried to explain that even browsing isn't instant. I have to wait up to 10 secs a for a page on the net.

I doubt I'd come under excessive usage either as i work shifts so really ever only for an hour or so every couple of days and usually my downloads are video clips of upcoming games from xbox live.

Starting to get very annoyed with how poor the service is and speaking to someone from sky with very limited understanding of english didn't help.

I've been with them for 3 months now so can't just walk away from the service unfortunately.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

In theory you cannot just walk away without paying the remainder of the contract although you are entitled to request and use a MAC code, Sky will then have to chase you to pay the remainder of the contract, I'm sure if you kick up enough stink about how the service is unusable for you and that you don not feel you are getting the service you are paying and signed up for you can get them to agree an early termination.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks Smithy.

I think I will give them a call again tomorrow and see what they say and if i get the same crap I'll say what u mentioned about not getting the service I'm paying for. It's like being back on dial up.

Thanks

fonz600
      Hi a good idea is to have a look at (Unofficial) FAQ - Sky Connect Users explains about connect Customers who are having problems and what to do

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve16751 View Post
      fonz600
      explains about connect Customers who are having problems and what to do
      And the bottom line is you either put up with it or you leave.

It doesn't really matter how may speed tests you do and from where you do them, your still screwed.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just did a BTspeedtest i got thru the link provided in this thread.

Here is the results

Your DSL connection rate: - 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
      IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
      Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 721 kbps

Think it proves my thoughts about the slow speed then. Gonna call Sky again and see what I get this time.

Thanks

fonz600
      Hi Sky will not do anything it is the Traffic Shaping meant to be 5pm till midnight but it is happening at various times to different connect Customers as read on the Skyuser forum one of the main problems is the connect package is over subscribed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast