Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

High latency and an odd capping of my downstream

This is a discussion on High latency and an odd capping of my downstream within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello, first of all I'd like to apologize as there does seem to be rather a lot of posts concerning ...

DMessenger is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

High latency and an odd capping of my downstream

Hello, first of all I'd like to apologize as there does seem to be rather a lot of posts concerning this around but a personalized approach should hopefully get me the answers I need.

Basically I am sick and tired of my latency times being so high, i will frequently play games online where my ping is 100+ and considering I'm paying for up to 16mb I just don't think that's acceptable. Here are the stats from my router:

Downstream: 2784kbps - Line attenuation: 56.0db - Noise Margin: 14.1db

Upstream: 768kbps - Line attenuation: 31.5db - Noise Margin: 9.0db

and here are my speed test results from speedtest.net:

To give a little more background to the story I rang up tech support 2 weeks ago to complain about my high ping and the man I spoke to ran me through some tests and told me the line was capable of 4mbps. I currently run the router through an extension but I tested it in the master socket whilst speaking to tech support and i wasn't losing much through the extension (0.1mbps I believe he said) and was told it would make no difference to leave it on the extension. So seeing as it could support 4mbps he told me that an engineer would get in touch with me about increasing the speed. A few hours later I got a phone call from said engineer telling me that he had increased the speed to 3.8mbps and he also mentioned that the noise margin on the line was about 9.0db so it should be pretty stable. Few hours later I disconnected a couple of times only to find my downstream wouldn't go above 2784kbps.

Needless to say my latency has not improved even after using the TCPoptimizer and I'm feeling rather let down by the company, so I would gladly take your advice on what I should do to resolve this issue since I mostly have this connection so I can play games online (my World of Warcraft latency is usually 250ms+ and Left 4 Dead ping is around 130+). Thank you in advance.

P.S I do not use wireless.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: High latency and an odd capping of my downstream

You need to ask for you max delays to be set to 8, this will reduce you ping times but may also reduce your speed to compensate.

You are getting noise on you line from somewhere, I would expect the extension so I would remove it, put the router into the master socket via a filter and run an ethernet cable instead.

Also remove the faceplate and disconnect any wires connected to terminal 3, you don't need it and it can cripple your stats.

If you also have more telephone extensions in the house, get a filtered faceplate aswell, this will give you your best case senario for speeds etc.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I rang up asking to have the max delays to be set to 8 and they took me through the usual stuff (replace the filters etc etc) and the woman I was speaking to said I was already set at 8 but she knew less about this than I do it seems so I don't exactly believe her. I'll try ringing again in half an hour and asking again.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well after running through the usual stuff again I asked (over the course of 20 minutes) to be put through to someone higher up who could help me in tier 3 and the man would not respond and would not let me speak to his supervisor. This is not the service I expect and it is disgraceful that even though I told him my connection worked, it did not work as I wanted it to that he just kept repeating the same lines read off a computer screen. A machine would of been more helpful. And to top it all off these phone calls are incredibly expensive and my max delay still hasn't been set to 8.

what would be the next course of action? ring up again and hope I speak to someone who will actually put me through to tier 3 and just hope I'm not wasting another 6+?

EDIT: I think I'd rather get this done through e-mail, what address am I looking to e-mail to and will I have to use my sky e-mail account to do so or can I use a third party one with all my details provided?
      Last edited by DMessenger; 08-06-09 at 11:50 AM.

Donaldson2121 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMNEW
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

i believe most people have had good success with using the online kana form to ask for max delays to be set to 8.

https://mysky.sky.com/portal/site/sk...contactus/kana

looks like its usually done within a day or 2.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

The problem with the KANA form in your case is that they may also cap the line down to keep it stable, it would be better if you did this over the phone so you could keep an eye on it whislt they do it.

Ring again tonight but do it after 10:30pm, usually you get through to CST (tier3) without the hassle of speaking to first line support.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Managed to get through and get it sorted, much better now:

Thanks for the help.