Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

PS3/uTorrent Issue

This is a discussion on PS3/uTorrent Issue within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi there guys. I`m sorry of this is rather long winded but i find it will be only way to ...

Mogdog is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

PS3/uTorrent Issue

Hi there guys.

I`m sorry of this is rather long winded but i find it will be only way to explain.

I have had this problem for a while now and have been trolling forums for a while but cant find specific solutions, and i run into a dead end on most solutions that are available.

Firstly i live in a flat with 5 other people.. ouch i know. We had Sky Mid and it was ok but speeds were not great as you can imagine, now being silly i went and bought a D-LINK ADSL Modem and D-Link Wireless Router only to realise that you cannot 3rd Party Sky. I have Netgear DG834GT on Firmware V1.03.87. We then got the Landlord to upgrade to Sky Max.

I wanted to keep the D-Link wireless router because of all the extra options it has (QOS and so on) as i game alot on the PS3. The phone line i have in my room i beleive is not the master socket, but that is connected into the Sky netgear router anyway and from there ive connected an ethernet cable to the D-LINK wireless router. Now my PC and PS3 are connected via ethernet cable to the D-Link wireless and not into the back of the Netgear router. And my flatemate thats causing the main issue his PC is connected to the D-LINK via wireless, having the Netgear Wireless Turned off. whew.

Apologies again.. Main issue is that when my flatmate is downloading in uTorrent my pings in online games are VERY high and lag is also bad online. Although when im on my PC and downloading files (not in uTorrent) the speeds are fast. Port forwarding is set in the D-LINK router for uTorrent. So question is would uTorrent be affected by settings and config in the D-LINK router over Wireless if the Line is in the Netgear Router.

I think i have confused myself to no end with this, and if no one replies i will understand why. here is some additional info.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 2976 kbps 768 kbps
      Line Attenuation 43.0 db 28.0 db
      Noise Margin 12.9 db 14.0 db

Namesco BroadbandMax Bandwidth speedtest | Test your ADSL connection speed
      BBMax gives me a weird result each time

http://www.speedtest.net/result/482856858.png
      80% of the time Speedtest crashes for me in Firefox and wont load in IE

When the SkyMax was first installed over the Mid i did a test and was get way more than tripple and in Sky router info the downstream was 8000+ kbps but has gone down to what it is now and stayed there.

any help greatly appreciated.

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: PS3/uTorrent Issue

utorrent will use as much bandwidth as you allow it to. You aint got a lot to start with so for starters limit the ammount utorrent uses in the settings. I refuse to let anyone else even use the network when I'm gaming, bit selfish I know but the pings are important.
      Having said that you should be syncing much higher than you are doing, try taking a set of stats from your test socket for comparison as a starter and we can take it from there.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ok i will try and look for the Test Socket, as i know its not in my room, and the room that i think it will be in is another flatemates bedroom ( used to be living room) so its difficult to get my PC in there.

Will the test socket look any different to the other ones in the other rooms? I take it it will be the one with a dual socket under the plate right?

Thanks

Sky User - How to test your Master Socket
      For the best results your router needs to be in the master socket or an extension socket from the master that has been hardwired specifically for use with the router with cat5e or similar cable.
      From your brief description it doesnt sound like this is the case and you have the router plugged into an extension socket designed primarily for a telephone.
      This may be ok but not the best way of doing things. The main thing to do is to get the sky router into the test socket and see what it syncs at there. You also need to ensure that every phone outlet in the property that has anything plugged into it has a filter fitted.
      Have a read of this thread also - Cabling and faceplate help
      This does smack of a cabling issue and I'm sure we can help you get to the bottom of it.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thanks for trying to help me with this issue dholdi

Unfortunately my flatemate is a complete philistine and does not beleive anything is wrong, so cant really get into his room to try and see if he has the Test Socket to get accurate readings.(As i have checked all other rooms and i cant find it) He is as selfish as they come, works for him OK, so he does not really care.

I been fiddling arround with QoS setting tho and made the PS 1st priority, seems to have worked out ok-ish, better than what it was before anyway. Call of Duty I suppose is bareable.

Mog.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mogdog View Post
      He is as selfish as they come, works for him OK, so he does not really care.
      If he was my flatmate and the router was in my room I know what I would be doing - turning off his wireless

When he comes knocking on your door tell him its working fine for you and maybe he should be checking the mastersocket