Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

surround sound systems

This is a discussion on surround sound systems within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Probably the wrong forum but as im gaming on sky can anyone recommend a good suround sound system for use ...

james. is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

surround sound systems

Probably the wrong forum but as im gaming on sky can anyone recommend a good suround sound system for use with an xbox360? sony do one with golfball size speakers which would be what Im looking for. I dont want any big floor standing speakers just little discreet wireless ones. I dont need a dvd player with it either although the sony DAVIS50 in argos page 375 no 14 comes with one. Anyone got any experience of these? Would I get the same quality sound if I connect it to the optical output on the tv and not straight from the xbox?
      Cheers for any opinions

2. Advertisement
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Re: surround sound systems

Obviously the wrong forum seen as no one answered my first thread but cant find the right forum to put this in-
      I've just ordered an onkyo amp and kef speakers for surround sound but does anyone know what is the best way to wire my dvd player, my xbox 360 and my sky+ to it? I thought I'd connect the xbox and dvd by hdmi and the sky box by optical cable but should I connect the xbox through optical too? what gives the best sound? my xbox is my main priority!

joss is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Adwick-le-Street
      Sky TV: Sky+HDmultiroom
      Thanks

For me, Optical wins hands down every time for quality sound.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Not sure about the xbox, but the sky boxes dont output dolby digital etc via hdmi, just stereo so you would need to output from the + box via optical.
      Which Onkyo amp you got ? I've been looking at the 507 which seems to have 2 optical in and 2 coaxial type digital in.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Its the onkyo 507 I bought, it does me fine! I connected the xbox to amp through hdmi which does give true 5.1 sound. The sky+ to the amp through optical but I've yet to listen to anything in 5.1 through it as most films I watch are through the xbox oh and the dvd players connected through hdmi but I dont know if the dvd player outputs 5.1 sound through hdmi because I havent watched anything through that either! All I can say is I bought the surround sound mainly for xbox and I absolutely love it theres not that many people who run up and knife me in the back on cod before I hear them spin round and drill them first, then laugh!
      And yes the 507 does have the inputs you say as I've recently found out my tv outputs 5.1 sound so I need another optical lead and the amp definately takes 2 optical in.