Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sky Connect and Gaming

This is a discussion on Sky Connect and Gaming within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Iím writing this because Iíve been through several months of annoyance that are finally at an end and maybe this ...

Debe2233 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Sky Connect and Gaming

Iím writing this because Iíve been through several months of annoyance that are finally at an end and maybe this will help people in the same situation.

In summary, Sky Connect and Gaming... just donít attempt it, donít even think about it. If your suffering from high pings, high latency, disconnects and your on Sky Connect your being throttled it wont get better. Leave as soon as.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Incase your interested in the saga of Debe2233 Vs Sky Connect read on...

I was on Sky Connect, Iím also a WoW gamer (donít hold it against me Iím an addict, I know I have a problem Iím just comfortable with it) although I also play other games online. We had been using Sky Connect for just over a year when in December 08 I started having problems.

During raids and busy times in WoW I would disconnect, I would suffer lag and then just drop. One minute fine... next at the login screen. At first I suspected WoW itself. So I used their tech support and talked to some people on their message boards suffering the same problems. I ran some path pings and trace routes to attempt to diagnose the issue.

It seemed I was dropping packets about 7-10% which is verging on horrific, hardly Wowís fault as 99% of people werenít suffering from my problem, so letís scratch them off the list of causes. Plus other games were suffering this problem so itís either the entire internet or me. I run some tests, Pingplotter and Wireshark to attempt to work out whets going on. By now its Christmas and my raiding is now a chore rather than something to be enjoyed because disconnecting every 10 seconds during a boss fight isnít really what I play WoW for... on the plus side I can now type my password in 0.2 seconds flat.

I donít really get anywhere with the tests but save the logs for evidence of my problem. Itís obvious Iím dropping packets but...where, traceroutes and pathpings say itís not to the router so itís not the wireless but still who knows so I put a wired connection in. That doesnít help so thatís when I first suspected Sky itself of causing my problems I hadnít yet called technical support... so I try.

2 attempts of waiting in a CS queue for an hour each and I still havenít got through. the third time though is the charm and Iím talking to someone in less than 20 minutes!

(I wonít rant about Indian call centers, nothing against the poor peeps they are only doing a job they're paid for but dear god itís hard to understand them sometimes)

No help there, flat out said there was no problem with Sky Connect speeds, I did not have a problem but would I mind logging into the router (which I already was) to check my settings. I sat their patiently as he went through the IP address and login and password (despite the fact I kept telling him I was already lo... sorry Iím ranting end of rant...) Ahem... anyhoo he said there was no problem, when I asked about packet loss he said he didnít know what that was, I gave up.

I work in an IT department and as such have access to a wealth of knowledge from my colleagues who know alot more than I do, so I prostrate myself infront of the oracles of all knowledge and ask about broadband connections and packet loss, queue sharp intakes of breath and lots of shaking of heads. But they give me some things and applications to try.

None of them work.

I go back to the drawing board. Our company has an outside telecommunications company that deals with the telephones and when one of their engineers is in the building, I corner him with a cup of tea and bacon buttie. I get a crash course in telephone stats, broadband connections and at one point quantum mechanics I think anyway... it seemed along the same lines of complexity... (I did glaze over after a while). I go back to my router, could that be causing the problem? or is it the phoneline?

My phone stats arenít great, at prime time my noise ratio is dropping to 1... and sometimes 0... according to phone quantum mechanics thatís classified as a very bad thing. Maybe thatís the cause...

A second bacon buttie for the engineer and I get given an I plate to fit to the front of my master socket free of charge, I take that as a profit as bacon butties only cost 2.50 and an I plate costs a tenner, so Iím £5 in profit. After some fiddling and managing to pull the blue wire out of the frontplate by mistake and 5 minutes trying to work out where it should go back into (trial and error are bed fellows) and Iím back in business, my noise ratio is much better!

Iím still disconnecting and expericing packet loss though.

Right so itís not my computer, itís not my computers connection to the router, my phoneline stats are looking alot healthier but Iím still having problems, next course of action is it the exchange? I call BT and query them about the line. As soon as I mention broadband the chap canít get me off the phone soon enough. I call again and be a bit sneakier, I tell them the phoneline cracks and pops when you listen down it, They check the line and exchange and report no faults.

At the end of my tether I come across Skyuser. And particularly the thread about sky connect. I had never realized that Sky Connect was just a repackaged BT product, that they didnít really have any control over it. I also came across the throttling possibility.

I call Sky again ( 1 hour on the phone, which is my cut off point for waiting in a queue, and then a 15 minute wait and I finally got through. I talked to the chap on the phone told him about my problems, and what I had tried. He asked me to log into the router... I humored him and did so he said he could see no problems with my connection and that my disconnections were problems with the number of people on the game and that they were all having that problem... bloody liar! I'd tested everything I could to find the problem, Iíd been around and around and around chasing everything trying everything, learning about broadband and phonelines and this outright fabrication was enough for me to make the decision.

I requested my MAC and got put through to a UK call centre... surprise surprise, they spent 5 minutes trying to convince me not to leave but my mind was made up, 3 phonecalls and 2 weeks later I finally got my MAC.

Signed up with a new ISP, I was more than a little nervous because what if this didnít change anything... I mean I know throttling would slow my speed down but I never had really had speed problems per say it was just packet loss...

Well two weeks of trouble free raiding later and I can happily say it was definitely Sky. Pathpings now show 0 packet loss and I havenít had a bit of lag since.

Now Iím sure there are people on Sky Connect that are having no problems what so ever and thatís brilliant, but if you ARE having problems and you are on Sky Connect... well hopefully this tale of woe will help you a little and you'll realize there are people in the same boat.

I'd also like to thank Skyuser for being an invaluable guide which really helped me get a handle on the inner workings of not only Skybroadband but also the router.

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Re: Sky Connect and Gaming

Did you read about Connect throttling or Max delay reduction prior to jumping ship? I know you mention it in your post but you seem to have realised you had line issues that the Iplate helped with but I'm not sure whether you jumped before or after checking out the rest of the Connect saga?

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I don't think that is the point Paul, Plusnet and other ISPs also throttle but do it properly. They even have packages specially for gamers and guarantee speeds will not drop below a certain level. They pay for the bandwidth they need and are able to keep users reasonably happy. Unlike Sky who will not increase their capacity, but continue to charge users for a dismal service.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Didn't say I agree with how Connect is being run, just wondered if all avenues were investigated and tried first. Personally if my exchange wasn't LLU I wouldn't touch be on ADSL, especially not via BT or a rebranded BTproduct.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Problem is that Sky is just after "easy" customers which want email and a bit of web surfing.

Anything else and they say that they don't support it, which Sky may pay for in the long run.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

That is my point Paul, other ISPs can rebrand the BT product and give a very good service. Sky cannot. When I was with Plusnet, if I had a problem they could not fix they were right on the phone to BT to get it sorted. Sky do not seem to have any kind of rapport with BT and would rather fob users off with stupid excuses. Don't get me wrong, I know this is not the fault of you and your fellow workers, the problem is further up the tree.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

well it does seem that you have had a problem with your service. However, as previously mentioned, Connect is traffic shaped during peak times, so that could have been the cause of your issue.

However, we get this more and more at Sky where World of Warcraft players are getting high ping times and packet loss whilst playing, no matter what time of day.

Some of us at Sky have done extensive testing and researc,h and we have found some interesting results.

When doing pathpings and tracerts to the WOW servers, we found that any point where packets are lost, or high response times, are outwith the UK. They are mainly in mainland europe, on a network called Telia.

Now Telia, according to several online sources, were commisioned to host several of WoWs european servers at the end of last year. And it has been since this time that issues have occured.

The issues you experienced are common, and not just with Sky customers. They are common with multiple ISPs around europe, not just the UK. It is widely believed that the issue is with Telia, not the ISP.

Telia deny that there is any issue with their servers. However, it wouldn't be the first time that a company has lied i.e. Microsoft, Apple, Sky etc...

But now that you've gone, i suppose it doesnt matter eh.

Debe2233 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Plusnet
      Thanks

Paul - I did realise i had connection problems prior to reading about the connect throttling. I didnt really think of throttling as a reason for my problems as my speed was generally fine.

I did query about max delay reduction before my fragile little mind snapped in twain like a dry and brittle twig and asked for my MAC, but got a "i do not know what that is" from the customer support.

Indefatigable - Indeed Teila are WoWEU's main line to its servers and i have read there are problems with them, and i've noted the packet loss on hops to them, but having said that its hard to distinguish whereabouts the packet loss is happening. As you say i had trouble even beyond the traffic shaped "primetime". Having said all that (and dont belive i think they are entirely blameless) since my change over my packet loss on those hops has been 0.

Possibly its a combination of things, Telia + Sky's approach to traffic shaping + general lack of bandwidth that just push the connection over the edge. Where as with Plusnet i have a connection that prioritises gaming traffic so i dont have the problem. I know people in my WoW guild who use Sky and have no problem and yet use the same path through Telia as i do, just without the packet loss.

Also i was having problems with other online games, which i do not have problems with anymore. (Sword of the stars, Sins of a solar empire, warcraft 3, ect)

Im actually on a gaming specific package with Plusnet, it costs more certainly but after Sky im just euphoric to be able to play games online again that i just dont care.
      Last edited by Debe2233; 17-04-09 at 02:41 PM.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Telia have been running the EU WoW servers in the French Data center since the game's launch and they are frankly useless.

You will get weeks roll by with terrible performance and after many complaints Telia will admit they found that they had a broken router and then finally fixed it.

Once they said that the whole of Greece and Turkey couldn't connect was their ISP's fault and not theirs.

Virgin and Telia have had a row for years over a poor connection between the 2 with no sign of it being resolved.

That's why I left, Blizzard Europe have no interest in solving these problems as long as they keep on getting their money rolling in from somebody.

You could try rolling a character on the German data center to see if there is a difference but I found that I got better performance from the US version of the Game than the EU.

And Warhammer Online is exactly the same with GOA (game arm of France Telecom) are just as clueless as Telia, I just hope that the next wave of games avoid France like the plague.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Nat562 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Is there absolutely no chance of anything being resolved with Sky Connect and gaming, whats all this delay talk?, It just seems to be getting worse every week from 5:20 til around 11/12
      Youtube doesn't even tell you how much time on the video there is, its super capped, try to download something, you get around 30kbs!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast