Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

broadband speeds for gaming

This is a discussion on broadband speeds for gaming within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hello everyone new to these forums and computers so bare with me! im on sky mid getting connection speed downstream ...

james. is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

broadband speeds for gaming

hello everyone new to these forums and computers so bare with me! im on sky mid getting connection speed downstream 5119 upstream 412
      line attentuation 51db 27.6db
      noise margin 3.2db 21db
      these are the router stats plugged into the test socket firstly are these any good?
      is it ok to leave a micro filter plugged into the test socket with the router and sky plus phone cable into it then the faceplate plugged into the sky plug? because if i connect to the master socket the results are way lower than these.
      i mainly use broadband for gaming on xbox360 so would it improve my gaming if i upgraded to sky bb max i know i wont get anymore download speed but is it worth an extra 5 to increase the upload speed will i see any difference?( i only play fps and im crap so i need all the help i can get) i have already had my maximum delay reduced, cheers to anyone who spends time to reply!

2. Advertisement
      davedarave01uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin + Vivaciti
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: broadband speeds for gaming

Seem ok to me and my connection is a lot worser. I'm always on Gears 2 on my 360.
      Only problem I ever has is when Epic's matchmaking puts me with a host in Japan.

I have Microfilter plugged straight into the test socket with phone in aswell and have no problems.

Exchange:
      Thanks

cheers dave! what do you think about me upgrading to the sky max then doesnt seem much point then?

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Up to you though doubt you will see an increase for better gaming as games really dont use up much of the connection.
      Maybe someone else could shed some more light on it for you

I use to have 6mb down and 448 up and that was more than enough for two people on xbox live sharing the connection.

Exchange:
      Thanks

its the upload speed i thought i needed to increase because i never seem able to host games mostly play call of duty so theres usually about 12-18players.Is it right that the host sees everything in sort of real time then the futher you are from them the longer it takes to recieve and send information,if that is correct i just thought if i had a faster upload speed then when i pull the trigger my bullet would get there quicker. I think im gonna have to just face it that im rubbish at shoting games and forget about upgrading to sky max, after reading a few forums with the speeds being slower after upgrading im afraid to risk it!

Exchange:
      Thanks

these are my router stats from the test socket today today can someone tell me
      what the line attentuation and noise margins mean are these ok im about 2.3 miles from the exchange by road 1.5 straight line if that means anything.

Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 4:08:14

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 23857 31768 0 0 0 4:06:54
      LAN 15 0 0 0 0 4:08:14
      WLAN 43076 33330 0 0 0 4:07:52
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5110 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 52.0 db 27.6 db
      Noise Margin 7.3 db 21.0 db

Poll Interval: (secs)
      http://www.speedtest.net/result/453426477.png

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

is it ok to leave a micro filter plugged into the test socket with the router and sky plus phone cable into it then the faceplate plugged into the sky plug? because if i connect to the master socket the results are way lower than these.
      You should really get a Filtered Faceplate rather than the Heath Robinson setup you have at the moment. It will be much tidier and give you less problems.

The stats from your Test socket are much better. You have a good connection speed and a good noise margin, a definite sign that you should fit a filtered faceplate. You appear to be on ADSL2+ which means you will get no more download speed from Max, only an improved upload and unlimited usage. Explanations of the various terms you will find here
      Common ADSL jargon and abbreviations

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The host as so much power in games that use Host side hit detection (Gears 1-2 is an good example) So host will see stuff in real time.

The problem with isp's is that they concentrate on giving you better download speeds as they think that is what we all want. When in reality most games want better download and upload speeds. I am not too sure if you can request to have your upload speed adjusted.

Exchange:
      Thanks

cheers for the advice guys
      dave, im gonna phone sky when i get a couple of free hours and see what they ll offer on the upload will post what they say once i ve phoned.

isitme: loking at the filtered faceplate on the link it shows the phone socket on the right and the adsl on the left how does it work does the phone side plug into the test socket so thats where the power comes from for both outputs? i ve got wires attatched to my face plate at the moment im guessing these are just telephone wires not what id connect to power the adsl if i bought a filtered face plate because thats when i get really bad dl and ul when i connect to the master socket. I cant understand why my telephone wires are so bad when its a new house and thet are all new although i dont think my elecictrition was any good!

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

It has nothing to do with power. The faceplate filters the phone line and allows you to plug a phone in without a filter. The router plugs into the ADSL socket and also does not need a filter. The filtered plate replaces the existing plate and the wires are swapped over, so that your extensions also do not need filters either.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast