Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

broadband speeds for gaming

This is a discussion on broadband speeds for gaming within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; cheers isitme, i got no technical knowlege you see, gonna get one of them filtered faceplates and have a go ...

james. is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: broadband speeds for gaming

cheers isitme, i got no technical knowlege you see, gonna get one of them filtered faceplates and have a go fitting it then.
      whats the best speedtest to do before and after is it the router stats one?
      the speedtest.net one seems unreliable my dl speeds range from under one mbps up to 13 when im only supposed to be able to get 4.5 in my area!

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

The stats is the only way to compare. For a speed tester use the Sky User - Broadband Speed Tester

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

cheers isitme here are my results from the sky speed test to compare with once i recieved the filtered faceplate and fitted it.

Test taken
      (up to) Download
      Speed (Kbps) Upload
      Speed (Kbps)
      16 April, 2009 20:00:29 3840 Kbps 300 Kbps
      16 April, 2009 19:57:53 3832 Kbps 296 Kbps
      16 April, 2009 19:50:05 3832 Kbps 304 Kbps
      16 April, 2009 19:47:32 3888 Kbps 243 Kbps
      Router StatisticsSystem Up Time: 10:35:21

Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 73623 100902 0 0 0 10:34:01
      LAN 15 0 0 0 0 10:35:21
      WLAN 118335 88119 0 0 0 10:34:59
      ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5110 kbps 412 kbps
      Line Attenuation 52.0 db 27.6 db
      Noise Margin 5.3 db 21.0 db
      http://www.speedtest.net/result/453675468.png
      http://www.speedtest.net/result/453666651.png
      Last edited by james.; 16-04-09 at 08:19 PM.

Thanks

Your download speed could be a wee bit better. If you are not running Vista, go to DrTCP(link below) and run the Tweak test. If it advises you to make changes, download and use DrTCP to make them.

Incidentally if you are doing a speed test make sure nothing is running in the background, especially P2Ps like Sky player. If you have anything running, stop them and try again.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just looked at the tweak test saying what it does and doesn't fix, it doesn't fix multiplyer gaming which is what i mostly use the internet for, i think sky said id lose a bit on the download because i told them i wanted my connection for gaming with maximum delays reduced so im not really concerned about the download speed, all i download is films on the xbox and that does it overnight when its switched off. I must say though this pc seems slow connecting to websites but it is connected wirelessly, would this have any effect on the download speed? and would doing that tweak test have any bad effect on my internet gaming capabilites or does it only do something to my pc?
      thanks for all your replies so far though, they've been very helpful!
      Last edited by james.; 17-04-09 at 11:27 AM.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

wireless is a whole different kettle of fish and should be avoided if you plan to game.

not only does wireless get interferrence from other routers but all other wireless devices that run in the 2.4 GHz spectrum, including bluetooth devices.

If you really want to game with the best connection I'd suggest going for a pair of powerline homeplugs, they turn your mains wiring into ethernet cables and you should then see maximum speed

here's some at amazon

Max Value 85 Mbps Home Plug Double Unit Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

and a bargain at under 40.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

and would doing that tweak test have any bad effect on my internet gaming capabilites or does it only do something to my pc?
      It will not help if you are using a console, it optimises the PCs settings for broadband. For some reason MS optimised XP for a dial up connection, broadband requires different settings. Vista is already optimised, so cannot be improved much.

TomD

Useful Utilites

davedarave01uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin + Vivaciti
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Undecided Adrian View Post
      wireless is a whole different kettle of fish and should be avoided if you plan to game.

not only does wireless get interferrence from other routers but all other wireless devices that run in the 2.4 GHz spectrum, including bluetooth devices.

If you really want to game with the best connection I'd suggest going for a pair of powerline homeplugs, they turn your mains wiring into ethernet cables and you should then see maximum speed

here's some at amazon

Max Value 85 Mbps Home Plug Double Unit Pack: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

and a bargain at under 40.
      Homeplugs will only work well if your internel wiring is fine.
      I have two connected downstairs (1 to router 1 to G/F's Xbxo360) and when I tried them on my 360 upstairs the internet speed was lower then my Wireless adaptor also the latency was actually worse then using wireless.

Thanks

I tried them on my 360 upstairs the internet speed was lower then my Wireless adaptor also the latency was actually worse then using wireless.
      That is probably down to some interference on your power wiring. Some have found that having a PSU plugged into the same socket, or even using a short extension causes problems.

The speed of your internal network has little to do with the speed of your internet connection. With ethernet, even Homeplug assisted, it will be far faster than any internet connection. There are very few who find wireless better than Homeplugs.

TomD

Useful Utilites

Exchange:
      Thanks

cheers for the replys
      I ve only got the pc wireless i tried the xbox wireless adapter but kept getting signed out of xbox live, I dont think it was the adaptor, i think it was interference from my phone lines being so bad,(so my router stats seemed to prove being so much better in the test socket) my master sockets in my attic so i ve run a 10 metre router cable direct from microfilter in test socket to router right next to my xbox and bought a wireless thing for my pc.The connection seems much more stable but i still feel like i ve shot someone then watched the replay and i havent even pulled the trigger, which was why i was wondering about upgrading to sky max to increase upload speed. I ve ordered the filtered faceplate and even the pro fitting tool(no dispossable ones left) but haven't got round to phoning sky to see how much upload they'll give on max. does anyone think they'll give anymore upload than normal because i cant utilize any of the extra download speed?
      http://www.speedtest.net/result/454248741.png
      the sky speed test seem pretty close each time but speedtest.net vary quite a bit is this because of the wireless pc connection?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast