Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slow-downs and minor disconnects on Max in WoW and other online games

This is a discussion on Slow-downs and minor disconnects on Max in WoW and other online games within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have Sky MAX, router plugged into main socket downstairs, then connected to main PC via PowerLAN sockets and wi-fi ...

SpiderJ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Finchley N3
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Angry Slow-downs and minor disconnects on Max in WoW and other online games

I have Sky MAX, router plugged into main socket downstairs, then connected to main PC via PowerLAN sockets and wi-fi to some laptops.

A couple of years ago I had a whole bunch of problems with my connection, T3 support eventually slowed down my connection a little and it seemed to work.

Now, I have problems again - but this time it's wierder than before. It mainly happens while playing WoW or World in Conflict, but occasionally while just doing any normal online activity such as uploading photos, browsing Facebook, etc.

The most common problem is a get a huge lag spike and everything slows down. If I'm lucky, I don't get kicked off the WoW/WiC server, but if the lag lasts long enough, I get booted. The odd thing is that I can still browse the web while this happens, and even the voice chat still seems to work in-game. While logged into the router, I can't see any changes in the settings.

This occurs once every 20-30 minutes, usually during peak hours, although sometimes during the day, too.

About 50% of the time, it does actually disconnect my FB, MSN and Yahoo Messenger connections, too.

And about 10% of the time, I actually lose ADSL connection completely.

Here are my top-line stats, let me know if you need me to get anything more detailed:

System Up Time 04:25:11
      Port Status TxPkts RxPkts Collisions Tx B/s Rx B/s Up Time
      WAN PPPoA 237559 272213 0 9013 17062 03:41:03
      LAN 10M/100M 278626 257281 0 14748 8144 04:25:08
      WLAN 11M/54M/108M 1969 0 0 152 0 00:52:01

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 12385 kbps 764 kbps
      Line Attenuation 27.0 db 15.2 db
      Noise Margin 6.6 db 14.5 db

cheers

S

2. Advertisement
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Exclamation Re: Slow-downs and minor disconnects on Max in WoW and other online games

OK - just played another game of WiC (and it's nearly 1.30am, so not a lot of traffic on the network). I got through one game ok, but then got kicked.

I had a quick peek at the Netgear Stats and it looked like the Downstream NM dipped down to about 3, and then came back up to 6.9 or so.

So I'm assuming that is the problem - what would cause my NM to dip like that? And why does it only happen when I'm playing online games?

cheers

S
      Last edited by SpiderJ; 01-04-09 at 02:43 AM.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Slow-downs and minor disconnects on Max in WoW and other online games

Do you have a test socket? Your SNR is dropping really low for some reason which is not helping your connection there.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No - I don't have a test socket (long story). But I don't understand why I should only get this problem while playing online games?

I'm currently doing a huge download (7GB worth) and haven't had any problems at all.

So why would my SNR drop just for playing online? I can't figure out the connection between the two.

cheers

S

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

There seems to be a problem as your attenuation of 27 should be giving you a lot more speed than that with a NR of 6.6.

It's either in your house wiring, from socket to router, or somewhere external.

When you use the phone do you hear pops and whistles on the line as that would suggest a problem as well?
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

No - no pops or whistles and I've run a Quiet Line Test.

So, forgive my ignorance - but surely if I had a wiring problem it would affect me all the time - not just when I play WoW and WiC? Why does it only happen then?

S

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

You originally posted that it sometimes also affected other apps such as browsing, MSN.

As the day goes on the noise margin begins to drop (noise increases during the afternoon into the night) when it gets too low the router can disconnect and boot you off the system.

If it gets low Games such as WoW etc may just time your connection out as it's not recieveing data anyways as the router is trying to hang onto a connection which is very poor and can't get the data to the game server.

What you can try as a stop gap is to reboot the router sometime between 10pm and midnight and get the router to synch at the noisyest time of the day, you sacrifice speed for stability.

Hopefully that speed can give you a better experience through out the day.

If it still happens then you really do need to work out why the line is so unstable for that speed on that attenuation.

I had an attenuation of 36 on Sky and got 9 meg/sec no problems all day and 11 meg/sec in the morning.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

So, if I understand you right - it's not that the games per se are the problem, merely that they are the most sensitive to short disturbances, while other apps are little more resistant?