Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

4 Months of poor pings

This is a discussion on 4 Months of poor pings within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Since December 2008 I have been experiencing problems with my ping. This manifests itself during gaming and downloads. I will ...

SuperMoto is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Driffield
      Broadband ISP: Sky donkey speed
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

4 Months of poor pings

Since December 2008 I have been experiencing problems with my ping. This manifests itself during gaming and downloads. I will start a game with a ping of 80 and within 5 minutes be 150+. Download speeds are generally 24kbps.

According to BT my line will take up to 6 meg.

1. Nothing has changed from my original set up in 2007
      2. I have had my netgear router replaced with a Sagem one (no real difference).
      3. New microfilters fitted in the correct locations.
      4. I use an ethernet cable not wireless

To date I have been messed about by SKY customer services (contradiction in terms), on average it takes 45+ minutes to speak with anyone and then they tell me ticket has been closed. There is never anyone from tier 2 or 3 available whenever I phone. I have asked for them to call me back, to date nothing. I have sat in queues only to be disconnected after a few minutes.
      Sky can only seem to manage to get my personal details, the same ones every time and then have no idea about the issue, so we start again at the beginining and explain for the 30th time what should be on my records. Then it is the usual blame BT routine.

I pay 17 a month for non existent broadband, the only option I can see is taking this to the ombudsman or maybe trading standards.

2. Advertisement
      andykate is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: crossgates,leeds
      Broadband ISP: o2
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: 4 Months of poor pings

i have been having the same problems but my connect package is only costing me a fiver and my pings are 50 through to 70 on a night.you dont say which exchange your near but if you check to see if it has sky mid/max you could ask to be moved onto one of those packages.seems to me thats about the only way your going to get your ping down.unless your one of the VERY lucky few who manage to blag thier way onto fastpath.
      KEEP ON KEEPING ON
      checking punctuation

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Even fastpath on Connect wont help, the pings are being delayed on the Connect package because it is short of capacity and everything is being bottlenecked.

Only way you will get better pings is to either move ISP's or if you can get LLU Sky which I doubt get moved on to it.

SuperMoto is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Driffield
      Broadband ISP: Sky donkey speed
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

I am in East Yorkshire, unfortunately there is not an abundance of providers SKY or BT. There is no LLU for another couple of years. I was with NTL and Virgin in my old house, never had any issues for over 6 years.

My impressions are that SKY are happy to cut and run with the money, but don't provide any support or service. Time for escalation I think, this is no where near the service I should be getting.

steve16751 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: newas
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Thanks

SuperMoto
      Hi so your are on connect I have to agree with what you are saying 100 percent. Between 5pm and 12midnight throttle it seems to be happening every night now
      the only information is below

Connect 40GB & subject to Traffic Management Policy.