Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Slower pings when upgraded from mid to max

This is a discussion on Slower pings when upgraded from mid to max within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have been on sky mid for the last year or so and have been happy with my download and ...

Hesmo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Slower pings when upgraded from mid to max

I have been on sky mid for the last year or so and have been happy with my download and upload speeds. I donít use any more than 40gb so sky mid was the ideal package for my browsing needs. However I have recently got into online gaming and want to get my ping times as low as possible. My ping times at speedtest.net were a respectable 42ms but I thought (foolishly) this would be better on Sky Max so I upgraded a couple of weeks ago.

I am still connecting via g.dmt but my download times have improved slightly from ~ 3300Kbps to ~4000Kbps and my upload times have doubled to approx 600Kbps. I donít think these are too bad as I have a relatively high download attenuation of 56.5 db. However my ping times are now consistently up at 73ms, and I am now getting (even more) battered when playing online.

Does anyone have any idea why the pings would be slower on sky max? From reading through the forums it seems interleaving is enabled on both mid and max, and that the max delays default is the same on both so Iím a bit perplexed.

I have done all the things I have to improve the connection in my house. I have no extensions, the ring wire is removed, I have a short cat 5e RJ11 going straight into my router from the test socket.

I simply want the best ping times possible from my sky connection so what are my best options? Iím tempted to go back to sky mid and get max delays reduced to 8. Do I have any other options?

Thanks in advance.

2. Advertisement
      Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Re: Slower pings when upgraded from mid to max

If you changed you package you will have to ask Sky to reduce your delays. See this thread -
      Sky Have Listened To The Gamers

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Hesmo is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Shipley
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Isitme View Post
      If you changed you package you will have to ask Sky to reduce your delays. See this thread -
      Sky Have Listened To The Gamers
      Thanks Isitme. I did not have my max delays reduced when I was on mid either as I have only just come across this forum. That's why I'm confused as to why my pings are slower.

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Someone may have adjusted you're line when you where on max, Thats if you called in with a problem etc.

You can give them a call on 08442 410515, After the 22:30 busy period, or use the Kana form linky below.
      The hardest part is getting through to CST if you call , due to some 1st line agents not being briefed on ping times etc.

Fingers crossed all will be fine though whe you call/

james. is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: sky max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

Hesmo did you get your maximum delay reduced and is it better now for gaming I've been asking for advice wether to upgrade to max from mid for xbox live gaming, would you recommend it now or are you still having problems?