Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Gaming help stuffses..

This is a discussion on Gaming help stuffses.. within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; ..I've been with sky for a fair amount of time now, on the max package even though I know I'd ...

Snub is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: H'pool
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Unhappy Gaming help stuffses..

..I've been with sky for a fair amount of time now, on the max package even though I know I'd never get towards the top end of connections through the lines we have here.

Recently, I've had major problems regarding to lag with xbox 360, playing warcraft and to be honest, even browsing normal pages now (facebook apps are stupidly slow to load at the moment).

I've been told the line is clear from BT advisors, I attempted to shift routers from the sky's DG834GT to a cisco one, but couldnt get the username and password for the ASDL to accept (used a few guides and apps on how to get that) so gave in with that. I've shifted from using a netgear wireless usb dongle, to a belkin usb dongle, to a PCI onboard card, to even trailing a wire across the house (didn't go down well AT all ^^ ) and not seen any differences or improvements, on the PC or xbox.

I've done..all I can see to be done regarding the PC side, I've tested and been told to be kept connected through the master socket of the BT plug...

Stats for the connection are:

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
      Connection Speed 5952 kbps 320 kbps
      Line Attenuation 41.0 db 24.0 db
      Noise Margin 7.4 db 14.0 db

Line attenuation...seems stupidly high, but never goes down..upstream is really low too, especially for a max connection.

Is this the best I'm going to get out from sky from now on? No-one in BT's or Sky's tech support seemed to want/could help me to improve it either..

..back to virgins 10mb cable? :/

and a speedtest from other day is:

Last edited by Snub; 23-02-09 at 10:38 PM.

2. Advertisement
      Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Gaming help stuffses..

You need to get your stats from the test socket which is behind the front panel of the master socket.

You should see around 8mb with a good line but at the moment your line will not handle anymore that you have now, this may be because of the internal wiring in your house.

How many sockets do you have? are they all filtered.

If you want to improve piung times for gaming, you need to get Sky to reduce you max delays, fill in the kana form on the Sky website to request this, takes a few days normally, also get rid of wireless, you will get poorer speeds and lag using it, buy a couple of homeplugs to save running wires.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I've emailed sky approx fifteen minutes ago asking for the max delay to be reduced hopefully something will be done that side pretty fast, and the stats are from the test socket, has been plugged into that for a while now, as advised from their helpdesk...a long time ago.

Filters are placed on this socket and this is the only active socket within our household too.

Btcc22 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Other ISP
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

It'd be helpful to have some latency information.

If you play any games that you can get a ping time with, try that, and then compare it against a ping time taken through ICMP (ping through command prompt or some other utility) to the same server.

You can do this through WoW but it reports average latency rather than real time.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Snub View Post
      stats are from the test socket, has been plugged into that for a while now
      Without being a pain, are you sure that they are from the test socket? did you have to undo the two screws from the front and remove the faceplate, it is important, some people confuse the master socket with the test socket wich is underneath.

Even if it the other sockets are not in use the fact that they are wired into the master socket could still be causing issues. Have you checked that there are no connections to termonal 3 on the master socket? if there are, remove them, you don't need them and they can cause noise.

If your not in the test socket, get in it and post the stats again, if you are then obviously ignore the above, you must just have a noisey line and I don't think anyone can help.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'll have a check on the HD for another game other than wow to do a ping check on and against. With wow the latency, as you said is usually average latency and that flashes up at 220ms 99% of the time :/

With regards to the master/test socket, yupyup, two screws are off and connecting to the input there. There shouldnt be any other socket connected to this one either, as its from an entirely different "post" from our original BT line, as well as this, they only installed one socket when we came back across to the BT service, which isn't connected to any of the old old sockets from years ago.

Have bought a couple of homeplugs, which seem to have settled the spikes and intermittent stuff I used to get from wireless, just now trying to improve this connection speed overall

SkyCallCentreWorker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

BT now sell a product called the iPlate which you install into the master socket that (theoretically) reduces background noise (from other electrical equipment)

Can I get an I-Plate to improve my broadband speed? | Support & Advice | BT.com