Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Counter-strike:Source ping question

This is a discussion on Counter-strike:Source ping question within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; OK, I have had some recent issues with my connection which seemed have settled down and it's been stable. My ...

Macca88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Counter-strike:Source ping question

OK, I have had some recent issues with my connection which seemed have settled down and it's been stable.

My ping has become unplayable in CSS, have been trying to play some matches and my ping has been 150ms constant ingame. It's not been fluctuating, just stuck at this.

However when i ping the server I get a lower ping, heres a tracert;

Tracing route to vandaag.net [82.94.255.222]
      over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 1 ms 2 ms 2 ms myrouter.home [192.168.0.1]
      2 57 ms 57 ms 55 ms dr10.bllon.ov.easynet.net [89.200.128.192]
      3 63 ms 67 ms 69 ms 5acf0006.bb.sky.com [90.207.238.6]
      4 68 ms 66 ms 61 ms bu4.er10.txlon.ov.easynet.net [89.200.135.142]
      5 80 ms 65 ms 68 ms bu4.gr10.bllon.uk.easynet.net [89.200.135.143]
      6 277 ms 72 ms 64 ms te2-0-0.gr11.saams.nl.easynet.net [87.86.77.69]

7 69 ms 68 ms 68 ms ams-ix.sara.xs4all.net [195.69.144.48]
      8 74 ms 77 ms 72 ms 0.so-1-0-0.xr3.3d12.xs4all.net [194.109.5.5]
      9 67 ms 70 ms 71 ms te5-4.swcolo1.3d12.xs4all.net [194.109.12.30]
      10 68 ms 70 ms 77 ms high5-3-1.xs4all.net [194.109.11.158]
      11 68 ms 72 ms 79 ms vandaag.net [82.94.255.222]

Any idea why my ping doubles ingame?

2. Advertisement
      Steven_Belfast is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Virgin
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Counter-strike:Source ping question

Hello there ,

First off i am guessing you are using the cable to connect and not wireless ,
      Also where is the server hosted from ?

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Belfast View Post
      Hello there ,

First off i am guessing you are using the cable to connect and not wireless ,
      Also where is the server hosted from ?
      I had been using ethernet until recently. This was using wireless, I however had the same issue using cable too. Server was hosted in the Netherlands, UK based servers in London give me the same issue but a lower ping of 120 constant, but pinging for 60-70.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

you're on Connect - says it all...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      you're on Connect - says it all...
      I can appreciate connect is a pile of crap but why do I ping at 60-80ms then when ingame get 120-150ms constant. It doesn't make sense. (using both cable and wireless).

krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Macca88 View Post
      I can appreciate connect is a pile of crap but why do I ping at 60-80ms then when ingame get 120-150ms constant. It doesn't make sense. (using both cable and wireless).
      Have you tried using a Gaming Config?

You do know that there are some settings you can change which should help reduce ping.

One game I play for example:
      /Rate 25000 = The higher the rate, the more packets are being passed around. Most default punkbuster configs will kick if the rate is over 25000 (On the game I play avg is 25000 so CSS might be different, I don't know).

/cl_maxpackets 100 = The cl_maxpackets setting restricts the number of packets being sent to the server by your client and can be used to help connection bandwidth related problems for those with low upload bandwidth. The default setting for cl_maxpackets is 30, usable range is 15 to 100 on the Internet, maximum 125 under point release 132 or above.
      As your FPS increases so does the data size of each packet sent to the server. In extreme cases with a very high FPS you could saturate your upstream connection.
      n all cases try to set cl_maxpackets to equal your average framerate or your com_maxfps setting or a divisor of it without saturating your upstream bandwidth. Use the FPS figure displayed using cg_drawFPS "1"
      as a guideline for actual FPS.

For Example if you are currently at com_maxfps "76" then try a value of 38 or 76 for cl_maxpackets. If you have set your FPS above 100 then use a divisor of your FPS, for example if you are currently capped at 125 FPS then try 31/32 or 62/63 as a cl_maxpackets setting.

When playing on a Punkbuster enabled server you may need to reduce cl_maxpackets and/or adjust pb_sleep to reduce lag spikes.

(Note this is information on how to set this - Also not 100% Sure if CSS uses PB or something in Steam engine...??)

/Snaps 20 or 40 - how well your PC & Connection is keeping up with the reception of Snapshot Data,
      it also tells you if your PC is rendering in time with the reception. If you find some Graphic lag try increase it.. will help smooth out gameplay...

Like I said this is just some things you can try.. Just look for similar settings for CSS...

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by krysis View Post
      Have you tried using a Gaming Config?

You do know that there are some settings you can change which should help reduce ping.

One game I play for example:
      /Rate 25000 = The higher the rate, the more packets are being passed around. Most default punkbuster configs will kick if the rate is over 25000 (On the game I play avg is 25000 so CSS might be different, I don't know).

/cl_maxpackets 100 = The cl_maxpackets setting restricts the number of packets being sent to the server by your client and can be used to help connection bandwidth related problems for those with low upload bandwidth. The default setting for cl_maxpackets is 30, usable range is 15 to 100 on the Internet, maximum 125 under point release 132 or above.
      As your FPS increases so does the data size of each packet sent to the server. In extreme cases with a very high FPS you could saturate your upstream connection.
      n all cases try to set cl_maxpackets to equal your average framerate or your com_maxfps setting or a divisor of it without saturating your upstream bandwidth. Use the FPS figure displayed using cg_drawFPS "1"
      as a guideline for actual FPS.

For Example if you are currently at com_maxfps "76" then try a value of 38 or 76 for cl_maxpackets. If you have set your FPS above 100 then use a divisor of your FPS, for example if you are currently capped at 125 FPS then try 31/32 or 62/63 as a cl_maxpackets setting.

When playing on a Punkbuster enabled server you may need to reduce cl_maxpackets and/or adjust pb_sleep to reduce lag spikes.

(Note this is information on how to set this - Also not 100% Sure if CSS uses PB or something in Steam engine...??)

/Snaps 20 or 40 - how well your PC & Connection is keeping up with the reception of Snapshot Data,
      it also tells you if your PC is rendering in time with the reception. If you find some Graphic lag try increase it.. will help smooth out gameplay...

Like I said this is just some things you can try.. Just look for similar settings for CSS...
      I know all about the settings in CSS, I've played it since release used to play in some top UK teams before I went traveling and now I have Sky as my connection so getting back into the game won't happen. All my settings are fine. Some of the later things you mentioned I've never used the commands before I'll try them out. Cheers

Exchange:
      Thanks

Try this also ,

If you log in to the router and look for MTU size change this to 1458 and apply that ,

Other than that as you are on connect there is not much sky can do for you ,
      You MITE be able to get them to log a fault for some thing like end user poor performance or some thing like that but i would not hold your breath .

Exchange:
      Thanks

A good command for Css
      Cl_crosshair scale 3500 makes the cross hair tiny good for head shots ,

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Belfast View Post
      A good command for Css
      Cl_crosshair scale 3500 makes the cross hair tiny good for head shots ,
      I prefer a bigger crosshair . Ok cheers, I can see that sky connect is a pile of ****! But I just got back from traveling and it's not my house to choose the connection, but I am hoping I can persuade them to change ISP soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast