Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

World of Warcraft lag spikes.

This is a discussion on World of Warcraft lag spikes. within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Ok, so i know this topic has probably been made before but i really don't have time today to troll ...

Kings is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01554
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

World of Warcraft lag spikes.

Ok, so i know this topic has probably been made before but i really don't have time today to troll through all the threads and look for it.

Ive been a player of World of Warcraft for a few years now and haven't had a problem with it before but recently I've started to get huge lag spikes while playing.

I log on and ping seems fine at around 40-100ms, but randoms throughout the day it will spike as high as 3000ms then drops back down to a normal ping. Its really hard to catch the lag spikes as they happen so my trace route results cant be to accurate but i think it should give some idea as to whats going on.

Here is a trace route for you to look at.

Tracing route to 62.67.45.19 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms www.routerlogin.com [192.168.0.1]

2 * 28 ms 29 ms cr1.swlj.uk.easynet.net [87.87.253.66]

3 24 ms 24 ms 23 ms ip-87-87-159-161.easynet.co.uk [87.87.159.161]

4 31 ms 31 ms 30 ms 67.17.198.202

5 31 ms 31 ms 30 ms 67.17.198.201

6 31 ms 32 ms 31 ms level3-2.ar2.LON3.gblx.net [208.50.13.194]

7 43 ms 36 ms 35 ms ae-31-53.ebr1.London1.Level3.net [4.68.116.94]

8 34 ms 35 ms 35 ms ae-1-100.ebr2.London1.Level3.net [4.69.132.118]

9 51 ms 53 ms 53 ms ae-2.ebr2.Amsterdam1.Level3.net [4.69.132.134]

10 44 ms 49 ms 53 ms ae-47-107.ebr1.Amsterdam1.Level3.net [4.69.141.101]

11 52 ms 53 ms 53 ms ae-44.ebr2.Dusseldorf1.Level3.net [4.69.141.73]

12 47 ms 47 ms 46 ms ae-21-52.car1.Dusseldorf1.Level3.net [4.68.119.47]

13 * * * Request timed out.

14 * * * Request timed out.

15 * * * Request timed out.

16 * * * Request timed out.

17 * * * Request timed out.

18 * * * Request timed out.

19 * * * Request timed out.

20 * * * Request timed out.

21 * * * Request timed out.

22 * * * Request timed out.

23 * * * Request timed out.

24 * * * Request timed out.

25 * * * Request timed out.

26 * * * Request timed out.

27 * * * Request timed out.

28 * * * Request timed out.

29 * * * Request timed out.

30 * * * Request timed out.

Trace complete.

at the second set of hops it seems the reply times out for the first hop, i dont know if that has any significance but hey any info would help.

Ive seen some reports on the WoW latency forums, seems a few sky broadband users are having this problem.

Ive tried to contact Sky Tech support about this problem and they really don't seem to know what I'm talking about then i say "lag spikes", and no this is not front end I'm talking to this is the actual technicians. I'm lost, i don't know what i should do from here on.

Any help would be appreciated

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

re: World of Warcraft lag spikes.

it looks like your on the German Data center for your server and not the one in France.

Every now and again this happens ever since WoW came out, it seems to be worse at the French datacenter as that uses Telia as their ISP and can last for a few days to months.

But it does occur at time and it seems to be a routing issue and it seems when it does occur a particular ISP is hit, most likely due to it's route in, Virgin customers have had a terrible time ever since the game came out due to the Virgin-Telia link and neither company taking responsibity.

Sorry I can't be any help but I think it's one of those wait and see things, although if you can catch a traceroute of when it's happening and post on the offical forums it may help.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

Thanks

yea this trace route is from the realm Karazhan which is on a different ISP from the rest, but it still happens on different server, the ones that are being routed through Telia. God knows, it happened before and i contacted sky and ported trace routes on the official wow forums and it seemed to sort itself out, but because i contacted them both at the same time i couldn't find out who was at fault or if the problem just phased itself out.

Guess ill just have to wait and see.

Thanks

i don't know if this might have anything to do with it, but whilst playing Call of Duty 2 i sometimes get kicked by Punk Buster for loosing key packets, don't know that that's anything to do with Sky Broadband or just the connection between Sky and the server.

thanks for the previous post btw

krysis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: BT
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

doesn't look like it's on skys end. looks like a routing issue with the server.

But I ain't very good at understanding the Trace routes - I could be wrong but pings seem to be fine through sky.

Thanks

hmm Ive seen a few people with this problem now, beginning to think its a problem on blizzards side.

DTfan is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Portadown
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: World of Warcraft lag spikes.

I just quit wow tonight woohoo finally free :O)(been there from beta), my reason/s are the flakey servers and bad networks that Blizzard are using add that to lack of content and easy progression sofar. The lag spikes youre seeing could be the same I have been seeing on the AP server, Blizzard are dragging their feet and its not good enough and to be honest the money is to much for a game.

I kept getting the blame from blizzard be it a computer problem or my ISP, if Zen(sky changeover hopfully happening tomorrow) said its not their side I believe them they have bent over backwards for us wow players before(when Bliz should have got it sorted) and have no reason to lie to us/me.

Blizzard seem to be a victim of their own success, taking months to fix problems that have been there from launch of Wrath is not good enough.

Sorry for the rant but Blizzard do not deserve any money with the shoddy service thay are offering at the moment.

Ed

matzy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Base
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: World of Warcraft lag spikes.

I too am having lag spikes that were never there when I was with a different ISP. Other than this, my sky connection has been ok, so perhaps it is something at Blizzard's end after all? Its just strange that one week I am with a different ISP and its great - the next I am with Sky and it sucks.

The lag spikes are far worse during busy times (5pm to 10pm) which is unfortunate because thats when I raid. Last time I raided I had to log 4 times in a 3 hour fight and got D/Cd 2 times, once at a vital point which nearly caused a wipe.

Its completely unpredictable as well, which doesnt help. Some days are better or worse than others.