Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Modding your Xbox gets you banned

This is a discussion on Modding your Xbox gets you banned within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; This may be of interest to Xboxers Modding Xbox...

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

Modding your Xbox gets you banned

This may be of interest to Xboxers
      Modding Xbox

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Thanks

Re: Modding your Xbox gets you banned

It's been well known for a while that successive updates for the Xbox will "brick" an Xbox if it has been chipped or modded.

We had a load of people bemoaning this on the Xbox forums that their console is now banned from Xbox Live as they played pirated games with modded consoles, and they didn't get much sympathy last time it happened.

I agree with this anti-piracy method, why should some people pay full whack for a game yet others go to shady websites and get knocked off versions of a game.

It's not like the games are particulary expensive, I went into CEX last weekend and there were a huge amount of 2nd hand games for 10-20 as they were over 3 months old and even the new Xmas releases were in the 20-30 price range.

Although the games manufacturers need to take a look at their products as currently a game is considered "long" if it lasts more than 10 hours, they need to put some longevity back into games otherwise people will just not buy them at all.
      I'm a PC, and Windows 7 Backup saved my sanity when BitDefender imploded !!!

KingOfKings is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quite right getting banned for modded consoles,

Just means owners to get knock off games for 5 when they can't pay the full prices of the games

spyhunter_uk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Modding the 360 does not get it banned! Its where the user gets their back-ups from that gets the unit banned.
      Playing unreleased versions of games and even the type of media (brand) will have an effect.

Isitme is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

I suppose you could be right and the Xbox Live's director of programming wrong when he says "You should know that modifying your Xbox 360 console is also a violation of the Xbox LIVE terms of use, will void your warranty and result in a ban from Xbox LIVE"

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

Thanks

Playing unrelesed games won't get you banned, in fact it's used as a marketing tool as beta testers have the said game on their gamer tag and generates interest, it also makes sure that the achievements etc all work.

Modding an Xbox will get that Xbox banned from Xbox live, I find it funny that when a new update comes out that all the modders come onto the official Xbox forums and bitch and whine about it with no sympathy from anybody.

iangilf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: kent
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

i love my modded xbox360 well my son does :P
      thing is microsoft are just to greedy so we have to do what we gotter do hehe
      and what annoys me is people who say they hate pirates , i think most of us have pirated in our life wether it be spectrum 48 comodore 64 games and so on we all have done some in the past and present, whoever says they havent well done to you but not everyone can afford how much these people charge for games and so on so ........ <- wrote in a drunken state but they say drunk is the best policy hehehe

Thanks

The reason why that console games are so expensive is that the hardware is heavily subsidised and the manufacturer takes 5-10 per game to make up this shortfall.

With consoles connected to the internet it is very easy to interrogate them and see if something has happened to them and it is well within their rights to ban them from the online services as you have broken the contract with them.

Piracy is now very unacceptable, the Bali bombings can be shown the flow of money from pirated DVD's in Australia to the bombers in Bali. In effects Australians paid for the bombings of their own people.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iangilf View Post
      i i think most of us have pirated in our life
      You are probably right, but that doesnt make it right and if Microsoft wish to take this stance to protect developers etc thats up to them.

Quote Originally Posted by iangilf View Post
      but not everyone can afford how much these people charge for games and so on so ........ <- wrote in a drunken state but they say drunk is the best policy hehehe
      Not everyone can afford a car, so is it ok for all those who cant to steal yours ?

iangilf is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: kent
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

for one i didnt say it was right im just saying everyone does it and stealing cars is a bit different to downloading games although i see ur point , theft is theft and i think there robbing sods when they sell the games for 50 quid a pop to us the consumer if they were reasonably priced im sure alot more people wouldnt have the need to pirate and would buy originals but because these software companies are so greedy then people pirate , the thing is they say it effects the sales of the games and so on but i wouldnt buy the game in the 1st place so how would it effect the sales if i wasnt gonna buy it ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast