Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Lagging at peak times

This is a discussion on Lagging at peak times within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi Guys, I have been suffering terrible pings to game servers at peek times over the last 3/4 weeks, it ...

fugly is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Hereford
      Broadband ISP: BT Option 3
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Lagging at peak times

Hi Guys, I have been suffering terrible pings to game servers at peek times over the last 3/4 weeks, it did for a little wile get better but this last week has been a nightmare.
      I have spent countless hours on the phone to sky but last night one of the tech guys(tier 3 I believe) phoned BT to try and get them to set my max delays to 8. BT told him that my line is at its best and they have a machine called r.a.m.b.o. that automatically adjusts my line to give me the max speed, so there was not a lot they could do. The gent at sky was do his best but as he said they can not do much as Hereford exchange has no sky hardware at it.

I have changed none of my cabling or set up at home and the speeds 3 weeks back were fine but now it is terrible.

Would I be better to find an ISP with LLU capabilities at the Hereford exchange? Samknows Broadband - Hereford (WNHR) Exchange
      Would changing my faceplate to a filtered one help at all?

Any advice greatfully welcome
      Thanks

2. Advertisement
      Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

re: Lagging at peak times

Quote Originally Posted by fugly View Post
      Would I be better to find an ISP with LLU capabilities at the Hereford exchange?
      Probably. Being on Connect, you're actually on BT's ADSL Max product - the same as every other ISP's non LLU product. Peak time slow-downs and high pings is the norm. Choose a good LLU ISP and that should be a thing of the past.

Quote Originally Posted by fugly View Post
      Would changing my faceplate to a filtered one help at all?
      No. May well improve your sync but would only improve lagging if your line was generating a very high level of errors. Being on Connect, their system will have dropped your sync/increased your noise margin to handle that if it was a problem.

Thanks

Sorry for late reply had to pop out of the country for a few days.

Shame it has got so bad, my time with sky has been good except for the last weeks so guess I will have to go to another ISP and try my luck.
      Have been trying to have a game today but at the time of posting it is that bad that I give up.

Thanks

Thanks

Is there a list of exchanges Sky plan to put there hardware into in the coming months/future? As my contract does not end to February and was thinking if they plan to put there equipment into the Hereford exchange then it would be worth staying and not having to cancel my contract early.

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Nope no list that is avail to staff that I know of, you could talk to cancellations though, they may know more or be able to offer some form of "retention deal". Other than that moving another ISP that definately has their own equipment in the exchange might help.

Thanks

Ok Thanks Paul

Thanks

Just to let other's know the state of things, spoke to a Sky techy 3 nights a go and he said sky would get BT to sort max delays to 8(yer right) Saturday night another tech guy call's and tells me its BT capping my connection as I'm a high bandwidth user, sky tech tells me I used 30gb in 10 days, erm 30 gb lol doing online gaming for a few hrs a day.
      before anyone asks yes my pc is clean and have checked netstat and no piggy backing on my wireless.
      After I carefully explained to the tech that gaming could not use 0.5gb a hr he sort of agreed with me but in the next breath he said well gaming does use a lot of bandwidth, starting to feel like I should sit in a corner and start rocking.

Going to doing some ringing around tomorrow and see if sky will release me from my contract early.

So frustrated by this.

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Have you had a look at how much you use(do you game on the PC) ? See the netmeter linky below ( you can only monitor the pc connected)
      Delays cannot be changed if you are on connect.
      I am going through the same things as you, but recently I have noticed a slight improvement to the connection.

Thanks

Have been using a similar on off think broadband and the amount used is nothing like sky claim, for instance last Wednesday I played for quite a few hrs and hosted a local server(Call of duty 5 (zombies) ) and only used 750mb.

But have not hardly used the internet for several days to to working over the weekend but the ping/connection tonight is terrible. Sky tech told me after a few days of little use it would be fine.

Would be nice if I could get a straight answer instead of techs saying yer we can sort it then nonsense like this about my bandwidth, would be good if sky would just say sry m8 we cant sort it.

Going to phone BT in the morning, did mean to today but had work issues, and see what they say and look to get sky to release me early from my contract(hopefully).

Thanks

Phone BT and they say they are not capping me as they would need to monitor my line and this would be illegal as they are not allowed to monitor a competitors customer lines, Sky seemed to give me the run around again after I phoned them with this info, I have now asked for my mac via feedback form code but still waiting for it(nearly a week)
      Contention ratio springs to mind.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast