Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Optimum Router Setup for Gaming on Sky

This is a discussion on Optimum Router Setup for Gaming on Sky within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have been paging through this forum for a few days now, as i have been getting really lousy pings ...

Jarvgrimr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Question Optimum Router Setup for Gaming on Sky

I have been paging through this forum for a few days now, as i have been getting really lousy pings on Steam based games. I haven't opened any specific ports or given my router a static IP as i was not sure if it was necessary.

Now i know that as a gamer with lousy ping i should contact the T3 and get my Max Delays sorted out. Though i want to get my router to it's optimum setup before i do that. I have not been able to find a good guide on which ports to open and how. As the Sky software on the router is diff to the one referenced in the portforarding.com website.

So as a Sky user should i get my computer on a static IP? Which ports should i be opening? Is there a site that lists all these kind of details?

Thanks
      Jarvgrimr

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Optimum Router Setup for Gaming on Sky

I use the V1 netgear and to be honest the only program I've opened a port for manually is utorrent. I play a couple of Steam games online plus one or two others and dont have a problem ping wise. Reducing your max delays is the way forward to reduce ping.

Jarvgrimr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
      I use the V1 netgear and to be honest the only program I've opened a port for manually is utorrent. I play a couple of Steam games online plus one or two others and dont have a problem ping wise. Reducing your max delays is the way forward to reduce ping.
      Would the fact we're using diff routers mean much?

Also i got my modem statistics here

DownStream Connection Speed 3488 kbps
      UpStream Connection Speed 384 kbps
      VPI 0
      VCI 38

Dunno if what i'm reading there is good or bad. I mean it's not 8Mb but that's why they say 'Up to 8Mb'. As in there's no way you'll get over that, but anything under is acceptable

So would my best plan of action be to give 'em a call?

Isitme is online now Sky User Moderator
      Exchange: Bannockburn
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks
      Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,602 Posts

You would be better to optimise your connection and your PC, there is not much you can do with the router. Have a look here for the former-
      Cabling and faceplate help

and download TCPOptimiser or DrTCP(links below), both are good, and use one of them to optimise your PC.

TomD

Please note the views and recommendations in my posts are my own and in no way reflect the views of SkyUser.

Useful Utilites

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wifi_information_view.html/ TCPOptimiser /Test Socket

Note - When downloading always select the Custom install or you will end up with stuff you don't want.

DDonnachie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WSARD
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Well I use the Sagem, and I play on Steam DoD Source and some TF2 occasionally. When I switched to Sky my base ping went up about 20 to 30, after getting the Max Delay thingy sorted it reduced this by about 15 to 20. It looks like ur getting a similar performance as me interms of Download.
      If you haven't used the TCP Optimiser yet, then I would would definitely recommend it. Before I used it I was only getting about 2 - 2.5 download, afterwards it went to more like 3.5 - 4 and Skys own estimate of what I should expect is still around 2.5 MB