Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Lower Pings on WoW - check this out!

This is a discussion on Lower Pings on WoW - check this out! within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I play a lot of WoW and run a Vista 32bit machine. Of late my pings are rather poor, 200 ...

norks27 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cheam, Surrey
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Lower Pings on WoW - check this out!

I play a lot of WoW and run a Vista 32bit machine. Of late my pings are rather poor, 200 to 300msec.

I did a spot of googling and the idea that the OS was throttling my performance kept coming up, in particular with Vista. I then stumbled across this:

FasterPing-v01beta.zip - FileFront.com - clicky

You must have Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 installed (XP with Service Pack and Vista alredy have it) to run this application.
      You can get it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...d-aab15c5e04f5

Also when you launch the programme you are instructed that for Vista users you must have a particular hotfix installed. It links you to this article with the appropriate links to the hotfix:
      http://mattgadient.com/2007/12/13/kb...packfrequency/

As it happens it appears that my OS already had the hotfix.

Ok so I tried it.
      Prior to this I had spent 2 hours in a raid with an average ping of around 250msec. The raid took a break and I then tried out this programme. My ping for the rest of the raid was now 60-80msec. I was online for a further 4 hours and my ping stayed very stable. I was hugely impressed, it is the best pings I've experienced.

I don't believe the programme is purely aimed at WoW, and my friend will be trying it on his XP system to see if his pings can be lowered.

WARNING - read the information as the programme does make changes to your registry and if you are unhappy with that then stear clear. However from all the reading I was doing it was necessary to make registry adjustments but I prefer to let this programme make the changes as opposed to manually hacking the registry.

If you try it then i hope it gives you the sort of great results I got.
      Last edited by norks27; 05-10-08 at 12:19 PM.

2. Advertisement
      norks27 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cheam, Surrey
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Lower Pings on WoW - check this out!

My friend running an XP system also tried out the faster ping application.

He is with Virgin and was getting around 200ms on average. After installing Faster Ping and running the optimisation he was getting around 60-80ms, again a huge improvement.

Anyone else tried it?