Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problems With PS3 Headset with Sky Router

This is a discussion on Problems With PS3 Headset with Sky Router within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Good evening all, hoping for a little assistance from someone with a larger brain than mine. I use my Broadband ...

Craig8718 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ryhope
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Question Problems With PS3 Headset with Sky Router

Good evening all, hoping for a little assistance from someone with a larger brain than mine.

I use my Broadband mainly for playing PS3 online and haven't had any problems with it what so ever in the 10 months or so of using it - very easy to set up and connect etc etc.

Last week I bought a bluetooth headset to use when online and am having some diificulties with it. It pairs with my Ps3 fine and when I go to audio settings the speaker and mic work fine and I can hear myself testing it - great!

However as soon as I'm online I have difficulties. Again online I can go to audio settings and its working fine. However when 'in game' I can't speak or hear anyone apart from an occasional muffle. I've been looking round the net for solutions and tried many. The manufacturer indicates that it is a problem with my router/firewall/ports (probably need to open all my ports they say) etc.

I've browsed these forums and tried a few things suggested for simular problems (although not with headsets).

I've gave my PS3 a manual (static) IP address
      I've added it to the default DMZ Server (which I belive opens all ports??)
      I've tried setting my PS3 up both wired and wirelessly

Still not having any luck. Has any one else had problems with headsets and there Sky routers? Any suggestions? Any help will be greatly appretiated. If anyone needs any more info please ask.

Cheers,
      Craig

2. Advertisement
      gdeagle is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Problems With PS3 Headset with Sky Router

Hi, I set up mine ok and my freinds one so I may be able to help. what router do you have?

the first thing to test is the NAT settings. go to settings -> network settings -> internet connection test.

what are the results of the upnp and the nat test?

the nat should be type 2, if it is type 3 it won't work properly.
      if the upnp works then there should not really be a need for port forwarding.

If you have nat type 3 let me know your router type and I can give you some further instructions on port forwarding.

if you have nat type 2 turn on your headset and go to start new chat. when in new chat go to chat settings and turn the microphone on.
      then go to audio device settings, set the microphone level so that when you talk the volume level at the top does not go into the red.
      the output device is where you select where you want to hear other users voices, chose either your headset or sytem default device (TV), I chose the TV because I play with headphones on and also it eliminates hard feedback, the really loud sharp squeaks that can happen when the headset mic picks up it's own speaker.

If you choose the headset make sure you have turned the volume up on the headset!

after all that try it out, do you have a friend with a mic that you can test it with?

x LAGER LOUT x is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aldershot:THAD
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I very much doubt it has anything to do with your router. But, it wouldn't happen to be a Motorola heasdset by any chance would it?

gdeagle is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

I use a motorolla 350 headset, I did have to pair it a few times to begin with but now it is fine.
      I do find that I have to turn it all on before I load up games or it won't work.

Craig8718 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Ryhope
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Hi all, thanks for replies.

I've got it up and running now. It seems that adding my PS3's IP Address to the default DMZ server has worked because after booting both the PS3 and router up the following day all is working fine.

Apparently some headsets require certain ports open for them to work. If you look under Security>>Firewall settings on your router it is set as default to 'Block Always' inbound services. By adding my PS3 to the DMZ server it is now 'Allow always' to my PS3's IP address but still 'Block Always' to anything else I run off my router (i.e Laptop).

The only problem I'm now having with my PS3 online is if I turn my router on after my PS3 it often won't connect to matches online so I have to quit the game and then reload it.

Lager Lout - my headset is a Madcatz headset. Wish I researched more before I bought it now though because Ive read nothing but bad reviews on it since Ive got it. However it seems to be working fine for the time being...

Thanks.