Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

another max delay ping question!

This is a discussion on another max delay ping question! within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi there I contacted sky via the website last night (23rd sept) in order to get max delays reduced I ...

Sibling Chris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leabrooks
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

another max delay ping question!

Hi there

I contacted sky via the website last night (23rd sept) in order to get max delays reduced

I got a message today (24th sept) which was a text sent to my landline

it wasn't the easiest thing to hear but it sounded like they said they had "recon-secured" my connection....whatever that is?!?! anyone know what that means?

I'm not sure they've done it - if anything ping time reported by speedtest.net against maidenhead server has gone up 30ms +

I think the number given to call them was 0844 2410515...again it was not so clear on the read out text message!

should I wait or give them a call?
      looking at the evidence max delays has not been reduced

any advice appreciated

cheers all

2. Advertisement
      PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: another max delay ping question!

Reconfigured and it 08442 410 515 but unfortunately a lot of tier 1 staff have still not been trained on max delay requests as Sky seem to have stopped briefing out on it. Oh and ping responses depend on how busy the server is, have you tried at a different time of day to see if it changes?

Thanks

cheers for the response

I tested both times late in the evening - so would have expected similar results - but will try again later to see what happens

one thing I noticed is that speedtest.net does seem to give considerably slower ping responses than if you do a ping from the command line

I was getting 100+ on speednet.test and consistently in the 80s from the command line

I'm certainly not getting the ping responses I see others reporting for bbc.co.uk and jolt.co.uk rather than 30ms ish I'm getting 80ms ish (from the command line)

Anyway I am remaining patient for the time being, probably I will leave it another 24hrs or so to see what happens then give them a call if I see no improvement

doom is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aberdeen/Kinkorth
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Sorry post in wrong place

Thanks

Finally I got there in the end, and my pings are now dramatically reduced.

I thought it worth posting my experiences since there are some things that I've read on this forum and elsewhere that lead me down the garden path a little and I'm not sure are accurate

1. the key with sky is perseverance! don't give up, despite what they may tell you on the tech support line

2. Tier 3 support does exist

3. CST and Tier 3 support are not the same thing. From my expereince I believe that CST are the first line of support and will try to not pass you on to other people (I assume it looks bad on their stats if they don't resolve your problem)

4. Using the Kana form (online via web site) may have worked for some, but made things worse for me despite clearly stating what it was I needed help with (max delays). The key is talking to the right person on the phone in person.

5. Don't tell them you have a slow connection when you first speak with CST. Despite repeatedly telling the person on the phone I was not concerned about download speed, this is how my request was interpreted...they think that slow pings must equal slow connection, connection is set to max advised possible on the line via BT therefore errors on the line must be causing slow down, therefore they cap the download speed to see if errors are reduced and therefore hope pings response get better.
      ....but they don't, you just end up with a slower connection than you started with

6. So my line got capped in terms of download speed, despite CST telling me they had not done this. I rang back to talk to them becasue I had seen no improvement and they told me the incident had been closed and there was no ticket open! Thanks!

They logged me a new ticket and told me someone would call me back, because at the time there was a 30 minute wait.

Don't worry about this or that they might do the wrong thing and make your connection worse (my connection got capped a second time even lower!)
      Just make sure you get a ticket number and they do not close the incident.

7. When you don't see any improvement call back. Don't tell them what the issue is! Just give them the ticket number and tell them that you have not seen any improvement and they should put you through to a Tier 3 engineer without prompting. The recorder message on the phone informed me I was being routed to tier 3 tech support.

8. Finally Tier 3 understand about max delays, see that the line has been incorrectly capped and sort things out in a matter of seconds!

Looking at detailed router stats (netgear dg834gt) and in the G.dmt and ADSL2 framing details there is a setting that indicates what maxdelays have been set. "D: 64 8" for example.

I have read the second figure should be an 8, but I do not believe this is correct. during the process of getting my download speeds capped incorrectly I have seen it changed from "64 8" to "32 8" apparently making no difference.

Once the Tier 3 engineer sorted things out the setting on my router now reads "D: 16 2" for both G.dmt and ADSL2

He also uncapped the line and tested it to ensure I was not getting lots of errors.

ping to bbc.co.uk is now 30ms and TTL=121
      jolt.co.uk is similar

Sorted

so be patient and persevere until you get through to Tier 3, that'll get you sorted
      Last edited by Sibling Chris; 12-10-08 at 07:27 PM.

googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

^^^ Sorry tier 3 do not exist. We merged with T2 to create CST.
      Last edited by googleme; 12-10-08 at 08:01 PM.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

tier 1 do still say tier 2/3 from time to time but as said - tier 3 do NOT officially exist (although we do )
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

you see this is just what confuses things!

It wasn't someone on the phone that said to me they were putting me through to Tier 3!....it was a recorded message!

anyway, the guy seemed to know what he was doing, thats the main thing

PaulSky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Aye some agents, IVR indents and documentation still give incorrect names for the different department. Annoying, confusing and a pain in the.... proverbial

noikz is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSky View Post
      Aye some agents, IVR indents and documentation still give incorrect names for the different department. Annoying, confusing and a pain in the.... proverbial
      Annoying, incorrect, confusing and a pain? Surely that's not Sky you're talking about?
      Dbox DM7020/Skystar HD + 1.1M Motor (57E-61W) | Dbox DM500 + 90CM Multi-LNB (13/16/19.2/28.2E) | SKY HD 500GB | SKY+ 250GB | Intel C2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.8Ghz | 8GB Geil | 148GB RAID0 Raptors + 4TB RAID5 Seagates | 8800GTX SLI | Dell 2405FPW

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast