Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Xbox Live Connection Drops

This is a discussion on Xbox Live Connection Drops within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I had Sky Broadband activated yesterday using the Netgear V2 router and I went about setting it up, connection wise ...

NokkonWud is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Xbox Live Connection Drops

I had Sky Broadband activated yesterday using the Netgear V2 router and I went about setting it up, connection wise it was faultless on the laptops in the house as well as my Playstation 3, however from minute one I had problems getting the Xbox360 connected wirelessly via WPA, though connecting via WEP was no issue - bizarre.

Eventually, after many cursewords and slamming stuff about it finally connected to the wireless network, then through up the problem with getting an IP address. After a few goes I was given an IP address only for it to fail on "MTU", a restart of the tests and it passed the "MTU" only to fail on the "ICMP" test. Another restart and it failed on "IP Address" again. Another restart and it failed on "XboxLive"... see the pattern? Eventually it passed them all and I was happy. Briefly...

After about 10 minutes it 'disconnected from Xbox Live', yet the connection was still on the laptops. A restart of the tests and it's failing randomly again. I get back on and it, once again, disconnects after a short period of time. I don't have to do anything, even if I were to leave it standing it would disconnect, if it was to be active it also disconnected.

This has now happened for over 24 hours and it's really becoming a pain in the rectum. I phoned Sky Broadband support and what I got was absolutely incredible in terms of 'support'. Firstly I was told the 'Xbox Live' service was not supported by Sky and that only PC's and Mac's were. I informed her that I was connecting to the router, however the service was disconnected after a short period of time and that irregardless of what I was using, as long as it was Wi-Fi supported I could connect to the router as long as it supported WPA (as that's what set on the router), and my Wireless Adapter does (It's the official Microsoft adapter).
      I was then told that I should contact Xbox support regarding the issue, to which I informed her that there were no issues with Xbox Live and that the issue came down to either the router or the line that is being run. Now the physical side of the line is fine, it's a new house that's less than 2 years old and having just had BT removed, know it's perfectly good. Therefore I am left to assume it's either the router or the settings on the line.

Annoyingly the drops aren't noticed on this laptop but very much are on the Xbox360, so I can only assume that the Xbox Live connection areas (IP Address, DNS, MTU and ICMP) are much more sensitive to anything that doesn't sync correctly on a line.

It's really starting to wind me up, particuarly with the support being so poor, the woman on the end of the line didn't really understand what I was describing and was clearly only able to read from her monitor and because the service having issues was Xbox Live and not Windows she didn't know what to do. I asked for someone to ring me back, but was informed that 'Sky don't perform that service', so I have come here in the hope that someone else here has experienced the same issues and, hopefully, is able to give a solution,

Thank you,
      Karl.

2. Advertisement
      x LAGER LOUT x is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aldershot:THAD
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Thanks

Re: Xbox Live Connection Drops

First thing to try is change the wireless channel in the router settings, it should be on 6 by default so try 11 or 9 and see how that goes.

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

2nd run a cable from the router to the x-box, wireless stinks for gaming and especially on an x-box, the interference from all the electrics nearby cause umpteen problems.

I use homeplugs for mine and have had no dropouts since and I was getting them all the time with wireless.

x LAGER LOUT x is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aldershot:THAD
      Thanks

It all depends on the distance involved Smithy, I use wireless with no problems at all, but I've only got 15ft between Xbox and router.

Exchange:
      Thanks

I wouldn't use Wireless if I didn't have to. The Router is about 30m away (though less if going direct).

Smithy99 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Irby
      Thanks

You dont have to, get a couple of homeplugs and all youdo is plug them in, just like having a wired connection, that's it. Everything will be improve game wise, ping, dropouts etc.

Sibling Chris is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Leabrooks
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smithy99 View Post
      You dont have to, get a couple of homeplugs and all youdo is plug them in, just like having a wired connection, that's it. Everything will be improve game wise, ping, dropouts etc.
      I'd second that too

I've been a homeplug user since xbox 360 launch day

Originally I was on NTL (now virginmedia) and therefore bought a router with homeplug feature built in plugged this in upstaris for my PC, then I put a homeplug downstairs with my 360 and tv.

Now I've gone sky bb, all I've done is siwtch of the ADSL modem feature of my old router and plugged it into one the ports on the sky netgear router

....jobs a good'un as they say

I bought my homeplug gear from solwise, who I would recommend - at the time they were not so readily available at the usual outlets though

Get a twin pack of the 85mbps ones and you're sorted - that works out cheaper than the MS wireless adaptor doesn't it?
      http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline.htm
      Last edited by Sibling Chris; 25-09-08 at 11:31 AM.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Oh, I've heard about these. Completely forgot about them. They are a little steep in price for me at the moment (currently out of work), but if I had the cash I would definitely pick them up. I think these may be the way to go.

Other than that, it could actually be the quality of line because the laptop and Xbox360 are now dropping like flies ALL the time. It's becoming very annoying.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NokkonWud View Post
      Oh, I've heard about these. Completely forgot about them. They are a little steep in price for me at the moment (currently out of work), but if I had the cash I would definitely pick them up. I think these may be the way to go.

Other than that, it could actually be the quality of line because the laptop and Xbox360 are now dropping like flies ALL the time. It's becoming very annoying.

well you do have sky hd

I guess you have to prioritise these things though

Hope the work situation gets better for you soon

Maybe you could flog your MS wireless adaptor on ebay or something to help pay for a couple of homeplugs?

cheers
      sc

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast