Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

PS3 Online Gaming Connection

This is a discussion on PS3 Online Gaming Connection within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello, I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times- I did a search and found one similar problem, ...

SCFC_Messiah is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01792
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

PS3 Online Gaming Connection

Hello, I'm sorry if this has been asked a million times- I did a search and found one similar problem, but I didn't really understand the technical terms that were being used.... nor did the guy find a fix I don;t think! :/

I joined Sky broadband (as well as TV and phone) last week, and surfing the net has been fab!.... However, I've noticed that when playing Call of Duty 4 online, the connection is a lot weaker than with Virgin Media (even though I'm currently getting .5MB faster speeds.... Not sure if that's even relevant)

For those who don't know the game, you have 4 connection status icons:

4 bar green- excellent
      3 bar green- good
      2 bar yellow- poor
      1 bar red- very bad

I've found that for the majority of the time I'm only getting 2 bars on the connection, making lag unbearable! Don't get me wrong, on the odd occasion I get 3 bars, but it's becoming increasingly rare it seems.

Is there a known reason for this, and is there a way I can improve the the reliability of my connection to the PS3 servers?

I have a Sagem router- wired directly to PS3
      The connection travels through 3 sockets before reaching the PC (master included).... I presume this affects my speed? Would it also affect my connection to the PS3?

If there's any other information you need, then I'll do my best to give it too you!

Any help would be massively appreciated! (Note: I used to work for NTL so my knowledge of their system is pretty good.... But I haven't got a clue how SKY works, so please go easy on me)

Thanks a lot guys!

PS. I've noticed that the light next to the @ symbol flashes like mad when connected to the PS3- it's pretty stable with regular internet surfing though.... (again, not sure if it's relevant, just thought I should share)

2. Advertisement
      googleme is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Connect
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: PS3 Online Gaming Connection

Call tech support on 08442 410515, and ask for your max delays to be adjusted. Or email them using the kana form.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

On the to SKY now, and they haven't got a clue what I'm asking for!

They are trying to tell me the fault is with the PS3

I'm on hold at the moment- should I try and escalate it or something?

Ta

Exchange:
      Thanks

Who are you on hold to ? CST

Sky TV:
      Thanks

BB faults

Edit: Well that was a waste of time lol. The lady really wasn't interested and told me that because the internet is working on my PC, then the fault is with my Playstation and not them....

Should I be speaking to another department in Sky maybe? Or should I try and escalate it to another level?

Thanks for the replies googleme!

Exchange:
      Thanks

Just explain you want the delays changed from 32 to 8, as you are a gamer. Its a matter of 3 clicks to change it.

If you do not get is sorted click on the KANA link on my sig, then fill the form in. May take a little while for it to be done through the form though.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Thats one of the biggest problems, getting through to the right person. My best advice that I can give to anyone wanting to change there delays. Is to use the Kana form. There have been a fair few people on here now who have not been able to get them changed when calling support.

Unfortunate I think that you guys cannot get through to the agents who know what you guys want

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by googleme View Post
      Thats one of the biggest problems, getting through to the right person. My best advice that I can give to anyone wanting to change there delays. Is to use the Kana form. There have been a fair few people on here now who have not been able to get them changed when calling support.

Unfortunate I think that you guys cannot get through to the agents who know what you guys want
      Thankfully I tried again and got put through to a guy called Colin in the 2nd line (maybe 3rd, I don't know).... In all fairness he was a legend! He spent about 40 minutes running various tests and determining the best set up to gain the maximum speed.

He set the delay to 8 and the gaming issues seems to be resolved.

He then set about getting the best speed possible. I'm on 8MB connection, but I was only getting 2MB. It turns out that the way in which I set up the line was losing me about 5MB- I had 3 lines into the master socket- one of the lines ran to an extension up stairs, that socket then had a two way splitter with one cable running to a third socket, then finally that third socket had the cable running to the PS3. I guessed that set up would cost me speed (it was only temporary) but I never guessed it would be as much as 5MB.

Anyway, he's had to set the line back for the time being. I'm going to place the router close to the socket and run an Ethernet cable upstairs.... When I do that I've got to call them back and apparently if they adjust some settings my PC should get the full 8MBs I'm paying for!

Now, the only problem is getting the cable upstairs- this may seem like a strange question, but can Ethernet cables go outdoors? The reason I ask is because I have a hole in my wall both upstairs and downstairs where the NTL used to run.... It would be a lot easier if I could run the cable out through one hole, up the wall, then in through another- but I'm afraid this isn't a good idea with an Ethernet cable!?

So, would it be ok to run Ethernet cable outdoors (don't laugh if this is a really stupid question lol- I genuinely don't know)

(Thanks googleme- rep added )

Exchange:
      Thanks

Ethernet will be fine outside. I have ran loads of cables outside, Just need to make sure that They are clipped well against the wall, and any holes are water proofed.

It's the old tier 3 you got through to, as it's all CST now. Tier 2 and 3 merged.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

After a little Googling it would seem that the cable can attract lightning!?!?.... I'm not sure whether this is people overreacting, like they do, or whether this is a genuine problem.... I'd hate to fry my PS3

This seems my only option though- there's no way I can run a cable any other way, and without it it would seem I'm doomed to a life time of 2MB connections....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast