Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

cant get Xbox 360 or PS3 to see PC

This is a discussion on cant get Xbox 360 or PS3 to see PC within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, Got a very strange problem in that both my consoles refuse to see my PC or any files. Setup ...

Ashcrapper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newton-le-willows - 01925
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

cant get Xbox 360 or PS3 to see PC

Hi,

Got a very strange problem in that both my consoles refuse to see my PC or any files.

Setup is as follows:

Xbox 360 Elite and PS3 wired connection to: Netgear DG834GT (Firmware Version: V1.03.87)

Wireless is enabled on the router as I have a laptop that connects no problems to it through wireless.

Both consoles work fine with the net, so xbox live connects no problem and it goes straight into the PSN network no probs either.

Xbox 360 goes through all the network tests fine and passes everything other than to see a PC. PS3 says there are no media servers available.

PC has Windows XP with service pack 3 on and ive enabled sharing for both consoles through Windows Media Player 11 and added just for now all my music files to the library. Firewall and AV software are both turned OFF to try to narrow whatever the problem could be down.

Its got to be something really obvious that ive overlooked but im on the verge of smashing something now hahaha!

I looked at this: Setting up Xbox 360 and Netgear V1 router for Xbox Live but my Xbox connects to live ok (do I still need to do what it says in the link?)

I would be eternally grateful if anyone could please help me.

Many thanks,
      Ash

2. Advertisement
      Ashcrapper is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newton-le-willows - 01925
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: cant get Xbox 360 or PS3 to see PC

Found the solution so thought I would post for anyone else having this problem:

Check Event viewer and look for errors on the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service

If you get the event error 14344 then you need to upgrade your DRM component.

You can upgrade the DRM component here:

Security component upgrade

Though you must be using IE as your browser.

If you encounter DRM issues, cannot upgrade/update your DRM component, or seen the grayed out 'Upgrade' buttons on the Security component upgrade page, it may be worth the while to check below link:

DRM Reset Utility - to download: http://www.netflix.com/pages/previews/resetdrm.exe

I had to run this the upgrade button was grayed out for me.

Remember to restart your computer after running the utility.

Once you have restarted your PC go back to the DRM component upgrade site:

Security component upgrade

You should now be able to run the upgrade. Once the upgrade is complete check your 360 and your PC should be there.

Run one of your videos and follow the prompts for installing the optional upgrade on your 360.