Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Get 2 Xbox's 'OPEN' NAT with Sky?

This is a discussion on Get 2 Xbox's 'OPEN' NAT with Sky? within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Is this impossible? I have stressed every idea, and none of them work. Tried putting all to automatic, and uPnP ...

seaninfrared is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gorseinon, South Wales
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Get 2 Xbox's 'OPEN' NAT with Sky?

Is this impossible? I have stressed every idea, and none of them work. Tried putting all to automatic, and uPnP on. Tried portforwarding each Xbox with the correct ports with and without static IP's set. Tried about everything possible. V1 router, anyone else tried?

Ok pings. (24/05/08)

2. Advertisement
      MrWhippy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01926
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Get 2 Xbox's 'OPEN' NAT with Sky?

You cannot forward the same ports to 2 distinct devices, I believe you will find this is true for all Network Address Translation routers. The router would have no way of knowing which traffic is for which device.

You will be able to get one Xbox working, as I have done for a number of years now, but I cannot see a way for you to get both as Open while behind the same NAT router.

Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It is very unclear (perhaps because I don't own an XBox) as to what you are trying to achieve precisely but if you are hosting two XBoxes behind your firewall and you want to allow access to them from the outside world then you have a problem if they both use the same ports.

For example, if your external IP address is 81.43.124.89 and you have inbound traffic on port 2345 which you would want routed to one of your xboxes, there can be no indication from the packet itself as to which of the XBoxes it was meant for. If you wanted to do this with another ISP, that ISP could give you multiple external addresses. You can then tell a firewall (Not the locked down Sky Firewall however) that if the call on port 2345 has been aimed at IP 81.43.124.89 then forward that port to XBox #1 on internal IP 192.168.0.10. If you receive a call on the same port 2345 aimed at IP adddress 81.43.124.90 then a firewall can know from the inbound IP address that this is intended to be forwarded to the second XBox on 192.168.0.11 and not the first. In this way both boxes can coexist i=on the same LAN.

I don't believe that Sky will allocate two external IP addresses to you (and usually this is in the context of Fixed IP addresses which Sky also don't do) and the Sky Firewall isn't capable of implementing these rules either. Basically you are stuffed IMHO. If you must do this then look for another ISP who will give you multiple fixed IP addresses and let you use your own router/firewall.

If I have misunderstood what you need then apologies.

bazz007 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The only way i think this can be done is to forward the xbox live ports to one console, set the other console as a DMZ..... could be worth a try

Hairy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle West
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bazz007 View Post
      The only way i think this can be done is to forward the xbox live ports to one console, set the other console as a DMZ..... could be worth a try
      Thanks for the suggestion bazz,I've tried it but the Xbox in the DMZ is still getting various NAT settings.Mostly moderate or strict but occasionally open.

Shadow Ninja,did you find a solution?

Did you look at the sticky by Andrewjr,did it help?

Let me know mate,I'm still struggling with the same problem.

Ratcliffes is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I don't think putting one box in the DMZ will help. The problem remains that with both XBoxes using the same inbound ports, you have no way of automatically deciding which box to route packets to.

You will need to find a different ISP who will allow you to use a smarter router/firewall and have multiple fixed IP addresses on the same line, using the inbound IP address to differentiate between the two Xboxes (Whether inside the DMZ or not). These kinds of functions are more usually required by busineses hosting web facing servers which is why Sky (a 100% domestic ISP) don't offer them.

seaninfrared is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Gorseinon, South Wales
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I have not found a way around this. The best I can get with 2 Xbox's is one on OPEN and the other on MODERATE.

Ok pings. (24/05/08)

zooks is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Thanks

I found the only way I could get 2 xboxes on open nat was to bin the sky router and use something else. A dlink dsl-2640b does the job nicely, no issues at all.

Do a search on here.
      URL=http://www.speedtest.net][/URL]

Hairy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Newcastle West
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zooks View Post
      I found the only way I could get 2 xboxes on open nat was to bin the sky router and use something else. A dlink dsl-2640b does the job nicely, no issues at all.

Do a search on here.
      I can confirm this,months of frustration went out the window when I got the D-Link router.