Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Wireless Bridging

This is a discussion on Wireless Bridging within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi there, this is my very first post so go easy on me if I'm unfamiliar with forum posting protocols ...

bharat411 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Wireless Bridging

Hi there, this is my very first post so go easy on me if I'm unfamiliar with forum posting protocols etc. Thanks!

So here's my problem... I currently have two wireless routers, one is a 'Sky' Netgear DG934G wireless router, which means all the important stuff is not included in the firmware. My second router is a Sitecom WL-536, and this, is where I think all the potential for this 'operation' lies. I am currently using my Sky router to connect to the internet, since I am not allowed to use any other router.

I have a PS2 downstairs in the living room, and I need to connect it to the internet (to play games, yes, but maybe this is just to see whether I can do it... I'm just infected that way), and while I can't run an ethernet cable all the way down the stairs, I read somewhere that I could just bridge the second router to make it pick up the signal from my Sky router, and send it through to a wired ethernet cable that will plug into the PS2.

Now that you've got a gist of the situation, I need to know what settings I have to input into my Sitecom router to make that act as the wireless bridge? More specifically, what exactly do I have to change to convert it from a router to a bridge. I think these are some of the settings I will need to change, but please tell me if I miss any out:

1. ATM VC (VPI and VCI) they are currently set to 8 and 35 respectively.
      2. QoS (I'm really not sure about this one)
      3. Encapsulation (I have static, dynamic, PPPoA/E and Bridge), I'm guessing it needs to be Bridge?
      4. If bridge, then do I chose LLC or VC-MUX
      5. DHCP (Disabled/Enabled/Relay), if relay, should I put the LAN IP of the Sky router or the Sky router's ADSL IP or do I have to put something else as the DHCP Server IP for Relay Agent

Have I missed out on anything? Any other setting or anything? Please let me know if I have, and please try to explain what some of this stuff means? It's not just about connecting the PS2 And Sorry I've written an epic here, it's just that I mailed the Sitecom people, and they don't seem like they're going to reply anytime soon.

Please Help! Thanks a ton... really... in advance

2. Advertisement
      GRM
      GRM is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Oadby
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Re: Wireless Bridging

I'm pretty confident your Sitecom cannot act as a Wireless Bridge. It is an ADSL2+ Modem Router and it is designed to obtain its IP address via ADSL. From reading the manual on the Sitecom site, there is no way to configure it as a Wireless Bridge.

The mention of Bridge you've found is to do with how it can connect to an ISP - (a method not supported in the UK AIUI).

You need to buy something else that is a Bridge - Belkin F5D7330, D-Link DWL-G810, Linksys WET54G etc. etc.

bharat411 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Wireless Bridging

Hey GRM,

well, I guess that does clear it up. Thanks so much for the reply... Now I can stop driving myself crazy I was actually hoping to not have to purchase any of those because well, they're as expensive as a router (I guess they are routers themselves)

Anyway, Thanks again!!