Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Connecting a Nintendo Wii to the internet

This is a discussion on Connecting a Nintendo Wii to the internet within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Just out of interest, what is the range extender that you have ordered? I have moved most of our "remote" ...

speedyrite is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WMDRO
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101 + Huawei HG612
      Sky TV: NOW TV
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Connecting a Nintendo Wii to the internet

Just out of interest, what is the range extender that you have ordered?

I have moved most of our "remote" kit over from wireless to powerline ethernet equipment from Devolo. A bit expensive but very much worth it!

2. Advertisement
      AlisonPG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

It's a Belkin Wireless G Universal Range Extender/Access Point (Model F5D7132UK). It's been well rated on most websites (4.5/5 average from 38 reviews on Ebuyer for example).

We'll see how good it is next week

Cheers,
      Alison

Ki113r 7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I was hoping you could help me too. I discovered that the Wii and DS cant connect to a router that carries WPA encryption, which my Sky router does. I changed the routers encryption to WEP and the Wii and DS both connected, but then my internet connection to laptop went completely pants, kept disconnecting every minute or so. I decided to change it back as I thought it wasnt worth it, I then invested in this

This devices creates a AOSS access point for your DS whilst retaining your WPA encryption, the main selling point is that it works at the touch of a button. Everyone I knew who had WPA encryption used this device to get their DS/Wii online, and yet it doesnt work for me. I really dont know what the problem could be, the error codes on my DS and Wii both prompt me to check if the device is powered on or to move my consoles closer to the access point, when infact their in the same room. I really dont know what the problem is, any advice people?

Alternatively, is their anyway I can alter my encryption to WEP and keep my connection stable? I know WEP isnt advisable seeing as its not safe, but I'm kinda desperate now heh.
      Last edited by Ki113r 7; 12-04-08 at 12:10 AM.

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The Wii does handle WPA encryption so I'm not sure why you need to change to WEP in the first place. I don't know anything about AOSS, maybe start a new thread to get help on that specific issue?

Exchange:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Update on the Range Extender

Quote Originally Posted by AlisonPG View Post
      It's a Belkin Wireless G Universal Range Extender/Access Point (Model F5D7132UK). It's been well rated on most websites (4.5/5 average from 38 reviews on Ebuyer for example).

We'll see how good it is next week

Cheers,
      Alison
      I've got the range extender now and after a false start I've got it working. I thought I'd share the settings here in case anyone else finds the setup tricky.

The one-button setup does not work with secured networks.
      Attach the device to your router
      Install the Belkin Utility software
      Click "Set IP Address" and set to something within the range of your network. If your SKY router is still on the same settings out-of-the-box then setting it to something like 192.168.0.50 would be ideal. The other setting is 255.255.255.0
      Then click "Web Management"
      In basic settings make sure the settings are as follows:
      Wireless Channel: AUTO
      SSID: same as the Sky router
      Wireless Mode: 54G ONLY or use AUTO if using a mix of B&G
      Broadcast SSID ticked
      Protected mode: off
      Repeater/AP mode: Wireless Repeated selected
      Parent SSID: same as Sky router. If you press site survey it will find the Sky router. Select the network and it will prompt you for security settings etc. Match the same settings as the Sky router.
      Press connect and Belkin will reboot saving changes.

Disconnect from the router, unplug and put in the location in the house where you want it to broadcast. When plugged, wait a few seconds for it to power up properly in the new location and press and hold the auto connect for 10 seconds. This should now be connected and working!

Hope this helps someone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12