Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Netgear (Black) Router & Xbox Live

This is a discussion on Netgear (Black) Router & Xbox Live within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I was unfortunately with AOL before. It was a messy situation but I have escaped. LOL But the DG834G router ...

mj_asylum is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carrickfergus
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Red face Netgear (Black) Router & Xbox Live

I was unfortunately with AOL before. It was a messy situation but I have escaped. LOL

But the DG834G router supplied had to have the Xbox hard-wired. Recommended as I've found out here. But to get it working you did have to set up or use a hotmail email account to get the Xbox live working. Set up ports etc.

Now that THAT broadband is off. And I've now received a black Netgear router DB934G (dunno which version that is...if someone knows tell me). I'm aware it must be a second generation router as the 1st ones were SKY logoed white Netgear ones.

2nd gen are either Sagem (one that SKY sent my dad) or the Netgear one in a sexy new black "mini sky box" design.

I'm aware now that on the day (or three days after that) of activation you should be able to plug in and go. My laptop is wireless. So that's ok.

I don't have to put the SKY disc in my to get the broadband to work.

But what I don't know is.....when I plug in the 10m cat5 to wire my router to Xbox 360. Is the Xbox going to run on it straight away? Or will it refuse and I will have to set up the Xbox with THIS new router all over again.

No settings in the Xbox have changed. Someone casualy told me before that the Xbox should work on the new router straight away as it only recognises the broadband signal etc. But surely since even the router name is different surely the Xbox will refuse to work through it?

Please put my wee paranoid brain to rest folks. This is only me trying to help a spouse who's gone without COD4 for 3 weeks since AOL ceased us instead of giving us a MAC. Tsk! LOL

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: Netgear (Black) Router & Xbox Live

If it needed ports opening in the old router, it will more than likely need them on the new one. The new one is a Netgear DG934G.

Mine works wothout opening any ports, but I have yet to play online with it.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

x LAGER LOUT x is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aldershot:THAD
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Yes it will work just by plugging the cable in. Port forwarding should not be needed as UPnP will do the job perfectly well on Netgear routers.

mj_asylum is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Carrickfergus
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks guys. If I need to do anything I will. I doubt it tho. No amount of a guy cheesily grinning and telling me playing offline is fun will convince me that he is NOT weeping inside for the C.O.D4 Modern Warfare with all his pals online. LOL
      Sammy Davis Jr: "When God made me He took one step back and hit me up the face with a shovel."

StarmanUK is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: EASTF
      Broadband ISP: O2 Home Broadband Standard
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Personally I don't use UPnP its far too insecure for my liking.

Opening the required ports is quite easy on the Sky router. Details of ports required can be found here - Xbox 360: Port settings for Xbox Live

grumpycloud is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01923
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Can get connection for xbox 360 with new black router but the signal is too weak. Only 1 red bar. Any ideas please?