Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

PS3 Connects wireless but not wired!

This is a discussion on PS3 Connects wireless but not wired! within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Bit of a weird one. I have recently moved from Wanadoo to Sky BB . I previously had no problems ...

Hixxy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01278
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

PS3 Connects wireless but not wired!

Bit of a weird one. I have recently moved from Wanadoo to Sky BB. I previously had no problems with my Wanadoo router and when my Sky router came (Netgear DG834G) I set it up with no problems. Connected my PS3 and both laptops wirelessly with no issues apart from my PS3 was saying UPnP not enabled. It never did this with the Wanadoo router, though I have since discovered this is more than likely an issue with the way the PS3 and Sky router communicate (I've never actually had any problems with online gameplay, so this is probably right). I decide to connect using ethernet to try and resolve the 'no upnp' issue. This has created another issue where the PS3 sometimes cannot connect. It will always connect wireless and is intermittent when wired. I've no idea why this would happen. I've set a static ip on the PS3 and allowed it full inbound/outbound access. I've tried setting up as DMZ and a number of different things, but none seem to resolve it. The fact that it can sometimes connect wired and always wirelessly, leads me to believe it is not a PS3 fault. There is never a problem connecting to the internet so it's not an ISP thing. I can only assume it is a router issue (though I'm not sure of this!). At first I thought it might be to do with TVersity as I was getting DLNA error messages, but it is not always when the laptop is on.

In short, if anyone has had issues where they can connect wirelessly but not wired and managed to resolve it - please help!

2. Advertisement
      dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: PS3 Connects wireless but not wired!

Quote Originally Posted by Hixxy View Post
      I decide to connect using ethernet to try and resolve the 'no upnp' issue.
      I'm pretty sure that if upnp is turned on in the router settings it would effect both a wired and a wireless connection. Did you try turning it off in the router as it has been known to cause problems with the V1 router.

I've set a static ip on the PS3 and allowed it full inbound/outbound access.
      Have you also set up a static address for the PS3 in the router itself ?

Sorry not very helpful that was it

Sky TV:
      Thanks

I'm pretty sure that if upnp is turned on in the router settings it would effect both a wired and a wireless connection. Did you try turning it off in the router as it has been known to cause problems with the V1 router.
      Will try this but do I not need upnp turned on for devices to connect properly?

Have you also set up a static address for the PS3 in the router itself ?
      Yes, set up as a reserved ip in router settings for the PS3 and the laptop that I usually use.

dholdi is offline Sky User Beta tester
      Exchange: LCRIB
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Thanks

Will try this but do I not need upnp turned on for devices to connect properly?
      Most people seem to turn it off, the only thing i've noticed that it effects is utorrent. I had to manually set the port in router settings. Everything else seems to work fine.

x LAGER LOUT x is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aldershot:THAD
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

I find it never says "UPnP Enabled", I found that games connect better (for me anyway) if I assign my PS3 to the DMZ. After doing this though, I left UPnP enabled in the router settings (for the benefit of various other applications), and unlike some other routers, there does not seem to be any problem between having both DMZ and UPnP enabled.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Tried disabling UPNP in the router settings but this gives me NAT Type 3. I originally had the Firewall rule for Inbound Services set as allow all for the PS3's IP. Tried to manually set up the ports that the PS3 requires and realised that they weren't all in the list. I added these ports to the list and opened them for the PS3's IP. Re-set up the network connection and it seems to be working ok. Gotta admit though, I'm not filled with confidence. I've got a feeling I'll turn the PS3 on later and it won't connect.

2 questions:
      1. If the PS3's IP was added as DMZ, shouldn't all firewall restrictions be invalid?

2. If the PS3 was set up for allow all in the firewall rules, does this only add the ports that are in the list or does it literally open it up for everything (kinda like DMZ)?

edit: I was right! Booted up PS3 and it's not connecting, though later it did connect again then drop the connection about 5 minutes later! I'm thinking maybe a new router...?
      Last edited by Hixxy; 18-03-08 at 09:56 PM.

dbmica is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i am having the same problem m8. i hve tried everything i can think of. static ip, dmz, static routes, cant work it out. wirlessly it connects no problem but wired i cant find my pc

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Dunno if anyone still reads this or even if they can help...

So I decided to bite the bullet and phone Sky. They didn't seem too interested in resolving the issue and sent me a 'new' router the V1 version (I had V2 previously). Connected by ethernet and it worked. Turned PS3 off then on again and it didn't work. Same problems as before except now the error codes are more consistent (always 80710102). The PS3 tells me this is a DNS error. If I try connecting automatically the PS3 cannot obtain an IP address. If I set up the IP manually I get the lovely 80710102 error message when testing Internet connection. Most the time. Every now and then it will connect. I should mention that I have no problems connecting wirelessly ever. And I have 2 laptops connected to the router with no problems. Some people suggest using Open DNS, but I cannot change this in the router settings and it doesn't seem to make a difference if I enter manually in connection setup on the PS3.

This is driving me nuts. If there is anyone who can help please do!! This must be a Sky router issue and there must be someone out there who has Sky BB and a PS3 connected by ethernet.....

Double B is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01438
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

My ps3 is conected wirelessly, but aint tried it with ethernet....but i get that error a LOT, but my whole connection seems dodgy. not much help i know.