Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Static IP's For Xbox Live

This is a discussion on Static IP's For Xbox Live within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Well i have gone to my router settings and edited my starting IP address and ending IP address. I was ...

Topkidben is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Thurnby - EMTHRNB
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Static IP's For Xbox Live

Well i have gone to my router settings and edited my starting IP address and ending IP address. I was wondering if now i have done this do i need to go onto my Xbox 360 and set a manual IP addres outside of this starting and ending IP address? Would this have set my Xbox 360 to a Static IP Address?

2. Advertisement
      andrewjr is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: NDSIT
      Broadband ISP: NowTV 40/10 & VM 200 Gamer
      Router: Netgear R7000 with XWRT-Vortex
      Sky TV: Other
      Thanks

Re: Static IP's For Xbox Live

to get the best xbl experience, you need to first open up ports on the router, as you have stated in your other thread titled 'annoyed' that if you have UPnP turn on you get disconnects.

to get an open nat status first set up port forwarding on you router for the following ports:

UDP 88
      UDP 3074
      TCP 3074

then set up a static ip address for your xbox i.e 192.168.0.101 within the router.

then set up an ip address on your xbox manually in the network blade.

this is how i have mine set up and it works great.

p.s i think that i might make a complete guide on this, as i have just looked and as far as i can tell there isn't a comprehensive one.

SeventySix is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: CMBIN
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V2 DG934G
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Hey guys - great site!

I thought I'd tried this using this guide but the Xbox was still reporting 'moderate' on the NAT status. That said, having re-read the last post I'm wondering if I set up the static IP address for my Xbox on the router - I definitely did it on the Xbox.

Will try it again tonight to see if I get an open status. Presumably, if this has worked for the previous poster, I must have done something wrong... :-P

Out of interest, if UPnP works for some Sky users and not for others (which is the impression I get from reading through other posts) has anyone who's had this problem managed to get a replacement router from Sky?

I'm assuming it's router based as my previous non-Sky router's UPnP (DG834) worked fine on my F2S connection...
      Last edited by SeventySix; 09-06-08 at 01:23 PM.

Thanks

Well, as expected, it was me!

I hadn't reserved an IP address on the router. Now I have, port-forwarding works fine and I'm getting an open NAT status.

All in, this experience has convinced me that I need to leave Sky as soon as my contract is up. Far too much BS with the locked down router, high pings, terrible U/L speed and an entirely un-addressed but well publicised problem with UPnP.

Should have researched all this before I switched but I was greedy and got sucked in by the cheap rate. With Sky BB it would seem that you really do get what you pay for.

At least Sky has spawned this community without whose help I'd have been lost, so thanks for all the advice.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SeventySix View Post
      Well, as expected, it was me!

I hadn't reserved an IP address on the router. Now I have, port-forwarding works fine and I'm getting an open NAT status.

All in, this experience has convinced me that I need to leave Sky as soon as my contract is up. Far too much BS with the locked down router, high pings, terrible U/L speed and an entirely un-addressed but well publicised problem with UPnP.

Should have researched all this before I switched but I was greedy and got sucked in by the cheap rate. With Sky BB it would seem that you really do get what you pay for.

At least Sky has spawned this community without whose help I'd have been lost, so thanks for all the advice.

this only applies to the old V1 FW - works fine in the V2s (well, for me and my mates anyway)...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      this only applies to the old V1 FW - works fine in the V2s (well, for me and my mates anyway)...
      I have V2.02.34 so presume that's the latest version of the firmware?

Oh, and in my interminable lament I forgot to mention the 5+ minutes it takes for the modem to sync after rebooting.

None of these problems with my old router on Freedom2Surf.

Thanks

Things are looking up and my faith in Sky has been partially restored.

Having experienced yet another DC despite disabling UPnP, I decided to ring Sky support. Although the phone call took over an hour (of which 30 minutes was on hold) I was got through to a very helpful support guy on the Customer Response Team.

He said there's a known fault on some of the 934's - main symptoms being the router re-sync'ing to 160kbps U/L speed (which mine was doing on occasion) and packet loss for short periods after reboots (which I was getting). The fix was to move me to an ADSL2 line and tweak a few settings (including max_delays and noise margin).

Now I seem to have a stable connection, upload is up from 160kbps to 413kbps and pings to the Beeb are down to < 20ms with no packet loss.

One happy customer for now - let's hope it lasts! A big THANKS to John at the CSR team - cheers mate...

ELWELL08 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 810412
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjr View Post
      Then set up a static ip address for your xbox i.e 192.168.0.101 within the router.
      How do you do this with a Netear V2 DG934G router as i have created the static ip on my xbox but dont know how to setup a static ip address within my router. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

1) Login to the router

http://192.168.0.1

Username: admin
      Password: sky

2) Click advanced

3) Click LAN IP Setup

4) Scroll down to Address Reservation

5) Click Add

6) Add your IP ie 192.168.0.3

7) Add the MAC Address of the XBOX

8) Call it XBOX

9) Click Apply

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser