Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Extream Letancy problems with WoW US. But fault lies here.

This is a discussion on Extream Letancy problems with WoW US. But fault lies here. within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I have been getting a ping average of 500-800 in game on the WoW US servers, Pining the WoW Us ...

briggsy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Extream Letancy problems with WoW US. But fault lies here.

I have been getting a ping average of 500-800 in game on the WoW US servers, Pining the WoW Us Authentication servers results in a normal ping, but pinging the server directly it shows a more sinister problem.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>tracert 72.5.213.78

Code:
      Tracing route to 72.5.213.78 over a maximum of 30 hops

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.168.0.1
        2    44 ms    64 ms    43 ms  cr0.newhp.uk.easynet.net [87.87.251.73]
        3    44 ms    39 ms    39 ms  ip-87-87-160-33.easynet.co.uk [87.87.160.33]
        4    59 ms    58 ms    58 ms  easynet-1.r00.londen05.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net [83.231
      .146.74]
        5    58 ms    63 ms    58 ms  te-3-4.r00.londen05.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net [83.231.14
      6.73]
        6   228 ms   229 ms   229 ms  xe-3-2.r00.londen03.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.3
      .46]
        7    58 ms    58 ms    58 ms  xe-2-3-0.r23.londen03.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250
      .4.133]
        8   127 ms   127 ms   126 ms  p64-1-0-0.r20.nycmny01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.25
      0.3.254]
        9   228 ms   229 ms   228 ms  as-2.r21.sttlwa01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.3.1
      90]
       10     *      228 ms   228 ms  po-1.r01.sttlwa01.us.bb.gin.ntt.net [129.250.3.3
      7]
       11   211 ms   211 ms   211 ms  xe-3-3.r01.sttlwa01.us.ce.gin.ntt.net [209.168.9
      4.242]
       12   228 ms   229 ms   228 ms  border9.t7-1-bbnet1.sef.pnap.net [63.251.160.19]
      as you can see on Hop 6 xe-3-2.r00.londen03.uk.bb.gin.ntt.net seems to be giving em a ping of 229, this is obviously some kind of problem in the network. how would i go around solving this, since my previous attempts of getting support from sky have not left me with confidence they can fix a complicated network problem.

PS im on LLU
      Last edited by briggsy; 12-12-07 at 07:44 AM.

2. Advertisement
      Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Extream Letancy problems with WoW US. But fault lies here.

it's just not hop 6, hop 10 is even worse one of the 3 pings that were sent out timed out with no response (as marked with the star) and that is a US server.

Trouble is the problems with all the high pings on the traceroute are not on the easynet network but on the gin.ntt.net part and as they have UK and US connections this looks to be over the transatlantic hop where the problem lies.

I have had problems beofre when I was on BT where I couldn't connect due to a server on the net being down. At that time BT were uninterested in reporting somebody elses's server fault and I had to wait about 10 hours beofre it was fixed.

If the problem keeps on like this place the traceroute in the official US WoW technical forums and Blizzard moderators read them and perhaps they can get something sorted out at their end.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Ah thank you, i will make a post on wow US forum but i dont hope for a reply anytime soon, Would there be any way for me personally to get around this by somehow using a proxy or something?

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well i contacted blizzard, they said there was nothign they can do, i have traced all there other East cost servers and they trace percetly with no lag.

is there anythign else i can do? would contactign sky help in any way?

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

not at all...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

my contract is coming to an end, would changing ISP change the routing at all?

kpax88 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max/Unlimited
      Thanks

Changing your ISP for a one particular game?

Why do you need to play on US Servers... Surely the UK/EUROPE ones are a lot faster.

Maybe its a patch problem with the game? Did you recently patch it or anything?

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Thanks

Nah anybody who has played WoW on the European servers knows that Vivendi (who are french) decided to base the EU servers in France and use Telia as their ISP.

If you thought UK based ISP's are bad they are nothing compared to how bad Telia was.

When the regionisation was dropped I got a trial of the US version and I was getting lower pings and latency to the East coast US than Paris.

As for changing ISP's, if the problem you are getting is still in the transatlantic hop/US side there is only so many of these connections and anybody you move to may still use that route.

You mention that pinging other WoW servers are ok, have you tried creating a character and playing on another server to see if you are still getting the bad latency? If those servers are ok then it's definately an issue with that server. (Arathor in the EU cluster was one of the worst performing servers and which server you pick can make a huge difference.)