Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Problem with World of Warcraft - pls help!!!

This is a discussion on Problem with World of Warcraft - pls help!!! within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hello - I was wondering if anyone can throw any light on a problem my son is experiencing whilst trying ...

reluctant networker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blackburn
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Problem with World of Warcraft - pls help!!!

Hello - I was wondering if anyone can throw any light on a problem my son is experiencing whilst trying to play WoW and in particular, whether or not the problem is attributable to SKY BB.

We had a 2Mb service with our previous ISP and my son never experienced any problems with WoW on that. Since we changed to SKY Mid BB, however, his character cannot interact with other players and it soon disconnects him. Whenever his character approaches another character in the game, it just comes up, 'Unknown' instead of revealing the name of the other character. As such, it is now impossible for him to play the game even though he pays his 9 per month subscription for it.

I am aware that this problem may possibly have nothing to do with us changing to SKY BB but it just seems to be too much of a coincidence and I was wondering whether any other WoW players had experienced a similar situation after changing their ISP to SKY?

Any advice, tips, suggestions gratefully received.

Many thanks.

2. Advertisement
      Nebiroth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Problem with World of Warcraft - pls help!!!

If you have a look at the threads in this section you will see that I had this same problem. Not as badly as you, but it lead me to believe that the problem was World of Warcraft.

However, looking at the stats, a contributor who understands things more than I do was of the opinion that my line was rather noisy, and that whilst it coped perfectly well with the 2Mb maximum speeds of the Base package, the noise was causing problems on the higher speed Mid package, which was causing disconnects.

There are various things you can do, mostly involving the phone sockets - the easiest is to try attaching your router to the master socket, rather than an extension (I use an extension, which probably explains the noise as all our wiring is ancient and can't use the master socket as it is very badly placed).

What worked for me was to reboot the router several times during the busiest time of day - usually between 6pm and 11pm. They are (as I understand it) the noisiest times. The router will establish a connection as best it can with that noise level, which means it shouldn't disconnect at quieter times. The downside is that the stable connection is likely to be slower (but still better than Base's 2Mb). Although very close to the exchange, my maximum speed is around 5Mb)

I can confirm that World of Warcraft works perfectly well with Sky Broadband. Warcraft is very efficient, and actually does not generate much traffic so does not really require the higher speed or larger useage caps of Mid - it would work with Base. However, as you no doubt now know, the patch files for Wow can be gigantic, so you really need at least Mid, because the patches would fill up your useage cap on Base very quickly.

Hope this helps.

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I played WoW on NTL, then BT and finally Sky and I must say that the performance I got from Sky was by far the best, mostlikely due to the better upload speed back to the server.

I have also played Lord of The Rings online and have started playing Tabula Rasa last week. (which is a great game) with no issues on either of them.

As has already been said WoW is a fairly effecient bandwidth user, Blizzard state 23-30 meg per hour, of normal play.

What I can say that is that their choice of hosting the game in France and using the French version of BT (Telia) was a very strange one. No matter how bad or useless UK ISP's are, Telia is in a whole league of their own.

For almost 3 years now the offical boards have been full of people complaining about how bad their connection has been to the French servers.

Once the whole of Greece & Turkey complained that they couldn't connect and Blizzard stonewalled them and until people started cancelling on mass did they admit that there was a problem and that telia would look into it, and a few weeks later telia admitted the problem was theirs.

The NTL/Virgin-Telia connection has been a problem child with some users saying that the game has been unplayable since the start yet others are saying there is no problem and Telia and Virgin have been blaming each other for 3 years.

Occasionally the whole thing goes to hell and for 3-4 weeks everybody gets latencys of 5000+ms and Blizzard stick their head in the sand until they admit that Telia was to blame.

And I can go on with these, one thing to try is to change servers as not all WoW servers are equal. I was on Arathor which was the 2nd worse on the EU side for latency, crashes and generally being rubbish, the only reason I didn't move was that I was a guild officer and Blizzard wouldn't character transfer us as a guild and so we decided we couldn't do it as the chance of losing people was too much.

Also I had 7 level 60's (7 level 70's when the expansion came out) and so I really didn't want to lose all that time I had invested in those characters.

So start a new character on a new server (not Arathor though) and see if you get to play, if so it's the French side that is the problem.

Hely is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi

Not that I can be of any help but I play on The venture co without any problems. Although I did have max delays drop to 8 which did improve my latency.

reluctant networker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blackburn
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hey Guys,

Many thanks for taking the time & trouble to try and help me.

Unfortunately, I cannot try the master socket connection as this is in the living room and my son's PC is in his bedroom. I will, however, try re-booting the router.

My son tells me that he has tried other servers and apparently and as strange as this sounds, he can get a character upto a level 5 or so before the probs recur - it all seems very stange to me!!!

If he could just start again with a new character ,then that would be something although ideally, he really would like to use his main existing character. He's only a young boy and it took him hours & hours to get his character upto a level 45 which I understand is a very respectable status.

I'm just wondering if dropping the max delays as mentioned above may possibly help or resolve it. I understand that this would drop the 'pings' (which do seem very high on our line - speedtest.net usually shows them in the range of between about 120 - 150). Pls excuse my ignorance but is that what is meant by the reference to latency?

One concern I would have in this regard, however, is that I am using my own router (because of NAT issues with 2 x xbox 360s on the sky 834GT router) - I am just wondering whether putting in a request for a max delay drop would perhaps flag up the non-Sky router and cause me further probs!

Has anyone using their own router had their max delay dropped successfully
      without any probs from Sky?

Many thanks.

Nebiroth is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

AFAIK technically you are violating the terms and conditions of Sky Broadband if you don't use the router they supplied.

As regards the master socket - if you are using wireless, you should be able to put the router anywhere in the house you like and still access it upstairs.

I would do this but I couldn't trust to my parents not unplugging or switching off the "box with the green lights" whenever they felt inclined to!