Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Connecting a second xbox360

This is a discussion on Connecting a second xbox360 within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, my son went out today to buy himself an xbox360 to play along with his brothers, we have sky ...

speedloafer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Connecting a second xbox360

Hi, my son went out today to buy himself an xbox360 to play along with his brothers, we have sky BB but there seems to be a problem, when the second xbox is connected (wired or wireless) its nat settings are moderate, making it impossible to find a game online.
      Anybody have any ideas? Dont want to think the son wasted 300+.
      Last edited by speedloafer; 12-11-07 at 01:13 AM.

2. Advertisement
      terrorvis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Draytek 2830n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Connecting a second xbox360

This is a tricky one. Xboxes use the same fixed ports for live, and that confuses routers if using more than one at a time.

This page XBox Live The Guide : Help and advice plus Xbox games news, chat and more has some advice, but not much.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

If I recall correctly there was a recent post to the forum where the poster said that the Sky router won't support what you are trying to do. I don't have two xboxes so can't test but I'm guessing that there may be a problem with the UPnP implementation?

If that's so then one option would be to buy a new router which will or maybe a firmware that will. Note that using a non Sky router or firmware is against Sky's T&Cs though many customers do this - so far without repercussion.

Edit: just did a quick Google and there seem to be a few posts reporting success with a DG834GT (the Sky router model), so it could be a firmware issue. However, there are also plenty of posts saying it can't be done. Before you play around with firmware changes or a new router, try the following:
      • make sure UPnP is on in the router (if it isn't turn it on and reboot the router)
      • don't have portforwarding or DMZ on/active for either xboxes

Now try. If still no go then it probably is a Sky firmware/UPnP problem.

Next thing to try would be to turn UPnP off, give both xboxes fixed IPs, put one xbox in DMZ and set up portforwarding to the other. If still no go then try a firewall rule to allow all traffic to the other xbox.

Hope this helps.
      Last edited by Saturday; 12-11-07 at 12:46 PM.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

yes I looked and it seemds to be a router problem, I think its a trip to pc world to try and find a Belkin F5D7633uk4A router, I shall report back with my findings

reluctant networker is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blackburn
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile Re: Connecting a second xbox360

Quote Originally Posted by speedloafer View Post
      yes I looked and it seemds to be a router problem, I think its a trip to pc world to try and find a Belkin F5D7633uk4A router, I shall report back with my findings
      Hi,

I think Saturday & yourself may be referring to my recent (long!) thread regarding this exact same problem I had. I was tearing my hair out because with my previous ISP and using a Belkin router, both of the Xbox 360s in our house always had 'open NAT' once I had turned on the UPnP in the Belkin router web management interface.

I spent hours playing round with the UPnP settings in the 834GT web management interface. By increasing the 'advertisement to live' digit, I could get the NAT open on one 360 but this was always at the expense of the NAT on the other. The best I achieved was an open NAT on one 360 and moderate on the other.

I was ready to bin Sky bband even though I had just joined.

Since switching back to my belkin router, however, I have had no problems whatsoever. The NATs on both 360s are always open allowing both of my boys to play in the same Halo3 and COD4 multiplayer games. Also, we now have a PS3 and access to online gaming with that is unfettered to.

As Saturday says, if there is a way is opening the NATS on multiple games consoles with the 834GT router then that would be great because it would save the expense of a belkin router (about 60) but just to let you know that in my particular instance, changing the sky router to my belkin has been the complete solution and I'm now a happy bunny again!

x LAGER LOUT x is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aldershot:THAD
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Apparently the one to go for now is a D-Link, works with two xboxs out of the box and costs around 35. Read the review here.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

35 - thats even better!

'Flash' the sky router, ebay it for 20 and the solution then only costs 15!

I think that post xmas there are going to be a lot of posts re NATs on 2nd xbox 360s & routers - I've read SKY now have a million BB subscribers and I would bet that of that million, there are going to be a good few thousand homes where people will be trying to get open NAT access to xbox live with a 2nd xbox 360 with the consequent stress and aggro I had.

I was lucky in that although I only joined last month, I got a V.1 router so I was able with help from this site to extract my adsl username & password from the SKY 834GT router and revert to my old belkin router but anyone getting a V.2 router is either going to have to wait for a workaround to be devised (to extract the adsl username & password) or alternatively, sack SKY BB and get their MAC code (assuming it isn't possible to configure a V.2 router to give open NAT access to 2 or more xbox 360s).

Maybe worth posting a sticky?
      Last edited by reluctant networker; 13-11-07 at 11:41 PM.

HELGHAST is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

all i done was enter the routor code in both 360's and sorted! to get a open NAT setting i have to either go onto th pc turn off the unpn thing (spelling) then turn it on again. and 8/10 it works is a pain doin this. or i found a port forward thing and that worked very well for a while untill i reset the routor and couldnt find the site. but 9/10 its allways open for both 360's only thing were both get is lag due to a bad connection (phone line) and Mb

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

well pc world wanted 80 for the router, and it was on ebay for 55 so i went for that one, should arrive tomorrow, I bought it before i saw the d-link one, ah well, what does "flash" mean? As in flash the router before ebay.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by speedloafer View Post
      well pc world wanted 80 for the router, and it was on ebay for 55 so i went for that one, should arrive tomorrow, I bought it before i saw the d-link one, ah well, what does "flash" mean? As in flash the router before ebay.
      I'm no 'techie' but I understand 'Flashing' the router is a process whereby you can revert the router to Netgear firmware rather than Sky's bespoke firmware which locks in the adsl username & password, etc. I've seen instructions on how to do it on this site. I understand that with Netgear's firmware, the 834GT router can be used for other ISPs (although I stand to be corrected!)

Anyway, configuring the Belkin is quite straightforward (I managed it!) but give me a shout if you have any probs. but you should be ok if you've got your adsl username & password.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast