Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Xbox Live woes.

This is a discussion on Xbox Live woes. within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi! I really REALLY need some help with xbox live. Recently, we switched to sky broadband and are now using ...

cgjuk is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Base
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Xbox Live woes.

Hi! I really REALLY need some help with xbox live.
      Recently, we switched to sky broadband and are now using a Netgear 834GT.
      Now, my xbox connects for about 10 minutes and then disconnects every time. I run the connection test and it tells me that the DNS has failed, and I cannot reconnect for about an hour. I really don't know what to do. I have trawled the internet for a solution but to no avail.

I am using ICS.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Advertisement
      x LAGER LOUT x is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aldershot:THAD
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

Re: Xbox Live woes.

ICS is by far the worst method you can use for Xbox live. At best you will be left with a MODERATE NAT. You could always buy either the Wireless Network Adapter (pricey but great bit of kit), or a cable long enough to reach your router.
      If neither of these options are possible and you still want to use your current setup then take a look here.
      XBox Live The Guide : Help and advice plus Xbox games news, chat and more

If possible though try the Bridging method mentioned on the link.

If you still get a DNS failure after this then check this link out.
      XBox Live The Guide : Help and advice plus Xbox games news, chat and more

Hope this gets it sorted for you.

Mr No It All is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Not on Sky
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Hi LAGER LOUT, just wondering if you can help me?
      I advance...Im havng a eeribly Annoying and stressful problem.
      Im not on sky im on VirginMedia. Im using a Beling54g Router, Never had a Problem With it, But, Ever since i had my new laptop, My pings on my XBOX360 were High.
      In the Afternoon SAy...About 12:00 - 19:00, Everything is Running smoothly like it should..Yes.
      Seeing as im on wireless you expect it too have a fault or too..But no, ive never had a ''Glitch' problem ever with my router or XBOX360 Wireless Adpter.
      As i thought it was a Common Router Problem, and so i Brought a New on, Same Router,Model and setup. As this didnt solve the problem i Went and brought a new XBOX360 Wireless Adaper.But no didn solve my problem.
      As i was mentioning before....After 19:00, on Gears of War All the servers I Find are at the lowest Connect. '' = 3 white bars for excelent, 2 yellow bars for moderate and 1 red bar for poor ''
      ive read all along the threads and even went through step by step and put a
      WEP key on my router, being i thought someone was using it....I out a 16 letter/number password init.
      Come 2 hours ago, Same problem happened again, worked fne for a couple of hours, then come 19:00 everything started ging wrong, me recognising the symptoms, I got of my Stressful A** and Rang up Virgin, they incresed the speed from too meg to 8 meg for free as they thought it was their Fault and not mine and paying for the 8 meg monthly charge for 6 months.
      Ive searchd the web and nothing helped me, tought you was the guy too talk to.
      Thanks in advance
      Mr No It All

x LAGER LOUT x is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aldershot:THAD
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

It would appear that Virgin Media are the problem. Look here to see that you are not alone, you may be better off switching providers if possible.