Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2 lines to my house 1 good 1 bad, sky's the bad 1

This is a discussion on 2 lines to my house 1 good 1 bad, sky's the bad 1 within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi, Can anyone explain this, I have 2 separate phone lines from the street to my house. This is because ...

Coops is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: WNDEE
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

2 lines to my house 1 good 1 bad, sky's the bad 1

Hi,
      Can anyone explain this, I have 2 separate phone lines from the street to my house. This is because I switched from BT internet to Sky broadband, within a month my son who is an avid gamer (he plays cs for 4kings) couldnt play with the terrible ping so had his own phoneline installed up to the property (cost 120).He pays separately for this himself, My point is despite several calls and e-mails to customer service I cannot get a decent ping, my pings average 40-50 on games like css and battlefield 2142. My son, same distance from the exchange (albeit his bedroom is slightly closer.....lol) gets an awesome ping with BT, as I did before when I was with them. He gets around the 20 mark which is great, Sky Tier 3 have told me there is nothing else that they can do for me, they have lowered my line delay to 8, months ago, and in all fairness my ping did improve to what it is now because it was up around 70-80ms at first. I am aware that sky use ADSL2 equipment but I dont really know what difference that makes, all I can say is I know that if I went back to BT my pings would be around the 20 mark again. I dont want to leave sky TBH, I think the service is great value for money, I just cant understand why they cant offer the latencies that BT can??? any ideas?

2. Advertisement
      terrorvis is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router: Draytek 2830n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: 2 lines to my house 1 good 1 bad, sky's the bad 1

You have kind of answered your own question. Sky is great value, and as a result they have less money to invest in bandwidth and kit. This can lead to a higher ping.

To start with, Sky put their fingers in their ears when it came to latency, however things have improved. They now allow max delays to be reduced, which I see you have had done.

Yesterday(?) they announced they will also turn off interleaving at a users request. This could drop up to another 20ms off your ping. However remember, interleaving and max delays are there to make your connection more stable, not only could you lose speed as a result of these changes. If there are errors, your gaming experience could get worse when data has to be retransmitted.

Personally, with my max delays now set at the lowest level, I get a ping of about 24ms to jolt.

x LAGER LOUT x is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Aldershot:THAD
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by terrorvis View Post
      Yesterday(?) they announced they will also turn off interleaving at a users request.
      Really? First I've heard about it, anyone got a link to the source?

Exchange:
      Thanks

I have indeed... Sky User - The unofficial support forum for everything Sky!
      It's currently the first piece of news on this site. It's the last bit you'll be interested in.

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Erm, that last bit on the page does NOT say that they offer fast path, or that they will remove Interleaving. What it says is that there are measures in place, i.e. Max Delays, which will improve Pings.

Trust me, I work for Sky. They DO NOT offer Fastpath

Thanks

And unfortunately a reduction in max delays has done very little to reduce my pings. It has however, reduced my sync speed from 7600ish to 5400. Not exactly impressed as my line was stable as could be before.

Keiran2K8 is offline Skyuser Serial Spammer
      Exchange: Redditch
      Broadband ISP: Max & VM VIP-85 & Be* Pro
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV:
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      Erm, that last bit on the page does NOT say that they offer fast path, or that they will remove Interleaving. What it says is that there are measures in place, i.e. Max Delays, which will improve Pings.

Trust me, I work for Sky. They DO NOT offer Fastpath
      However we want to maximise satisfaction amongst all our customers which is why we now have measures in place, should you wish to change your settings to a fast leaving line.
      Its either FastPath or Interleave, Considering that Interleave is on from default, Changing, Would mean changing to the other, Which leaves FastPath.

If that isnt the case and they arent offering FastPath then they should confirm that, As it is pretty misleading.

Thanks

@FibreOptic
      You're right, it is misleading. I'm still unsure what exactly they're hinting at with that statement, and I'm not sure if I want to spend an hour on the phone trying clarify it.
      Hopefully, their position will become a little clearer over the next week or two.

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

I know what it says, however this has been going round our centre, and the person who wrote it made a mistake.

TBH we dont know what he was intending to write. it could have been a 'Fast INTERleaving line' but its anyones guess.

But it doesnt specifically say that they will swap you to fastpath, and I personally have had this confirmed by Tier 3 and certain high up members of staff, that Fast path will not be offered.

If this changes, i am sure there will be a statement released stating that it has, but the current statement does NOT say that fastpath will be offered.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      I know what it says, however this has been going round our centre, and the person who wrote it made a mistake.

TBH we dont know what he was intending to write. it could have been a 'Fast INTERleaving line' but its anyones guess.

But it doesnt specifically say that they will swap you to fastpath, and I personally have had this confirmed by Tier 3 and certain high up members of staff, that Fast path will not be offered.

If this changes, i am sure there will be a statement released stating that it has, but the current statement does NOT say that fastpath will be offered.
      Marketing people should not write technical statements. I still read it as allowing fastpath to be honest.

Either way, I've not been on the phone yet to try getting it switched on my own line. However I was pleased with the response to get my Max Delays (or depth?) reduced last week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast