Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do max delays and ping backs have an affect on gaming?

This is a discussion on How do max delays and ping backs have an affect on gaming? within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi all, i am currently on Sky Max (4mb line), and aim to get a PS3 in the not to ...

Tryst is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01443
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

How do max delays and ping backs have an affect on gaming?

Hi all,

i am currently on Sky Max (4mb line), and aim to get a PS3 in the not to distant future for some solid online gaming

After reading some threads here, I am a little concerned about what the quality of the online gaming service will be like.

Can someone explain to me what max delays are and what lowering it from 32 - 8 helps? and also ping backs (how are they issued/triggered etc? I read that people have pings between 35-75, what does this mean?

(Actually, having read a post I can see that this is the time taken to responded to a ping. The lower the time the better)

How does ping backs and max delays apply to online gaming?

Sorry if this is repeating what is already asked previously, but I have searched and read this forum (thats why I have questions above because I see these words pop up ). if there is a thread with these already answered please direct me to it.

Thanks
      Last edited by Tryst; 13-10-07 at 06:47 PM.

2. Advertisement
      NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Re: How do dax delays and ping backs have an affect on gaming?

The lower the ping the better your gaming experience is.

For example with a low ping you have an advantage over a player with a higer ping. ie You could shoot him quicker than he could shoot you.

A ping of up to about 50 imho is acceptable. If your ping is higher than that ringing Sky would get that lowered.

The max delay thing is the way that is interpreted I suppose between your PC or PS3 and the exchange. The lower the number ie 8 the better your responces will be.

Hope that helps.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks for the informative reply, newsreadeR.

So what does your max delay value start at with Sky broadband (I am on max).

Also, so its possible, along with contacting Sky to lower your max delay value, to ask them to lower the ping response value.

Does the max delay and ping tie in together? Would lowering one, lower the other?

Thanks

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Lowering the Max delay, would normally lower your ping. So one is tied into the other so to speak.

So what does your max delay value start at with Sky broadband (I am on max).
      afaik 32, so lowering it will take it to 8.

I had a ping of about 46 ish and changing the max delay brought it down to about 30 ish, not a huge difference, but gameplay is so much better.

Also, so its possible, along with contacting Sky to lower your max delay value, to ask them to lower the ping response value.
      The ping would lower by lowering the max delay. You don't need to do 2 procedures, which is what it looks like you are asking.

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: How do Max delays and ping backs have an affect on gaming?

Quote Originally Posted by NewsreadeR View Post
      The ping would lower by lowering the max delay. You don't need to do 2 procedures, which is what it looks like you are asking.
      Thats what I was asking

Judging by what I have read from other posts you can request Sky to lower my max delay value via on online form, is this the best way? or is it by phone?

Have you noticed a decrease in your connection stability since Sky lowered your max delay value?

Thanks

Thanks
      Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tryst View Post
      Thats what I was asking
      Cool

Judging by what I have read from other posts you can request Sky to lower my max delay value via on online form, is this the best way? or is it by phone?
      http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/kana

You could try ringing them, I can't see it being busy tonight and they may do it while you wait.

Have you noticed a decrease in your connection stability since Sky lowered your max delay value?
      None at all.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cool!

Thanks for your time NewsreadeR.

I'm waiting for Pro Evo to come before purchasing a PS3 (i believe Sony are doing a PES bundle), so once I have the PS3 I will go ahead with this.

For ages when I was playing Halo 2 on XBox live I was wondering how I was being killed when I thought I had taken the opponent out first in a face to face confrontation - now I know its because of these settings

picmalkin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Smile Re: How do max delays and ping backs have an affect on gaming?

Hello,

first of all I would like to thank the people who run the site and the members who post, as I have found this forum very helpful (and educational!) over the past 48 hours.

I have just moved house and have had sky broadband for the first time. After it taking them nearly 5 weeks to connect me a fix the tie pair in the exchange I finally got on line on wednesday of last week (now that's a long time with online pro evo for me!)

Having done a speed test I noticed that the connection was about 6.1 meg which i though was quite fast and would be fine for gaming. However, there was lots of lag and I kept loosing my connection to xbox live.

When doing a constant ping test to google (as directed by one of my mates in IT) it would time out every few minutes are so.

I rang technical support who basically said: can you get onto a website now? Yes i said. Fine then call us back when you have a problem. I mentioned it was for online gaming and all i got was the standard 'we don't support online gaming'.

I read these forums yesterday afternoon and rang back and asked for tier 3. I had to go through five people and 45 minutes on the phone before i got to someone in tier 3. The guy was very pleasant and i asked for my max delay settings to be reduced. He said that 8ms was the lowest that sky go and that he would do it straight away.

This morning i have done a number of speed tests (previously the results were c6.1 m/bs and a ping response of between 91 and 211) and my speed is now betweeen 2.2 and 3.4 m/bs and pinging between 55 and 90 ms.

Have i asked for the right thing?

Why would my connection be slower?

Has anything actually been done as those ping times don't seem anywhere close to the ones which other people have reported - is there anything else I can do or do I need to move to a more game-friendly provider?

Thanks in advance everyone - i need to get this sorted before the new pro evo is out!

Cheers

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: How do max delays and ping backs have an affect on gaming?

putting the max delays to 8 makes the line more prone to instablility s Sky will cap the line down to compensate for this (prob to what the BT dsl checker says)...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

picmalkin is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: How do max delays and ping backs have an affect on gaming?

I read in one of your other posts that it might be better to move the cap to 16ms.

Will this help?

I've just had my first game on line where it didn't cut off. but it was still far too laggy.

Is there anything i can do to improve this or should i just cancel sky broadband and move to another ISP?

Its strange because my mate is on sky broadband, we both have the same exchange and he never has any lag or problems.

Thanks
      Last edited by picmalkin; 14-10-07 at 05:34 PM. Reason: spelling!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast