Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

To get max delay reduced dont bother with online form

This is a discussion on To get max delay reduced dont bother with online form within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; I submitted the required information using the online form etc etc next I received and email back saying "Thank you ...

slinky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

To get max delay reduced dont bother with online form

I submitted the required information using the online form etc etc
      next I received and email back saying

"Thank you for your email.

To ensure your enquiry is directed to the correct team, we have made some
      changes to our e-mail support. We need you to re-submit your message via
      our website, using a webform which you can access from this link:
      http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/kana. "

So I follow the link and re-submit the information only to get the following email

"Thank you for your email.

To ensure your enquiry is directed to the correct team, we have made some
      changes to our e-mail support. We need you to re-submit your message via
      our website, using a webform which you can access from this link:
      http://www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/kana. "

Im beginning to see a problem here, Now due to loosing my rag I replied to the second mail asking if they were taking the mickey.
      Last edited by NewsreadeR; 03-10-07 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Changed starred out word. Moved to Gaming forum.

2. Advertisement
      Fire & Brimstone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pollok
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: To get max delay reduced dont bother with online form

I submitted the request on Friday using the on line form to have the max delay reduced to 8. I explained I was a gamer and referenced the fact that Sky will reduce the max delay for gamers quoting below as the source.

"All

After reviewing the sky forums sites, recent escalations from customers and after discussions with Marketing, please can you implement the following

Should any customer be transferred to Tier 3 and request for their max delay levels to be decreased as a result of them using their broadband connection for Gaming, please arrange for this to be done. You should look to set their max delays at 8. Please ensure you leave the customer with a stable line after completing this."

I received a message from Matthew from Technical Services on my answering machine this afternoon advising that the max delay was reduced to 8 and he quoted a ticket reference for the task.
      Last edited by Fire & Brimstone; 03-10-07 at 08:02 PM. Reason: wrong text

slinky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fire & Brimstone View Post
      I submitted the request on Friday using the on line form to have the max delay reduced to 8. I explained I was a gamer and referenced the fact that Sky will reduce the max delay for gamers quoting below as the source.

"All

After reviewing the sky forums sites, recent escalations from customers and after discussions with Marketing, please can you implement the following

Should any customer be transferred to Tier 3 and request for their max delay levels to be decreased as a result of them using their broadband connection for Gaming, please arrange for this to be done. You should look to set their max delays at 8. Please ensure you leave the customer with a stable line after completing this."

I received a message from Matthew from Technical Services on my answering machine this afternoon advising that the max delay was reduced to 8 and he quoted a ticket reference for the task.
      Thats the kind of response i was looking for

cromozone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I got that kind of response through the online form too. Then overnight Tier 3 must have fiddled with the connection, indeed reducing the max delays to 8, however as many others have also reported they have capped my connection to a much lower speed. In my case, 5120/416, when I was connecting at over 10000/768. A call to support this morning resulted in a ticket being produced, but the wait times for Tier 3 were too long so couldn't get it resolved straight away. I think moral of the story is if it aint broke, don't fix it. Now I just hope Tier 3 can sort this out and don't screw it up any further

AndyL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Balmoral
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cromozone View Post
      I got that kind of response through the online form too. Then overnight Tier 3 must have fiddled with the connection, indeed reducing the max delays to 8, however as many others have also reported they have capped my connection to a much lower speed. In my case, 5120/416, when I was connecting at over 10000/768. A call to support this morning resulted in a ticket being produced, but the wait times for Tier 3 were too long so couldn't get it resolved straight away. I think moral of the story is if it aint broke, don't fix it. Now I just hope Tier 3 can sort this out and don't screw it up any further
      I would suggest it wasn't them that screwed it up, you were the one asking for their settings to be changed. They applied the changes as per your request and even after multiple posts on this forum telling you that lowering the delays will effect line quality you were happy. Now you want Tier three to fix a problem of your own creation and you hope THEY won't screw it up further. Ah the Irony.

It's ok mate, I'm not having a pop but you are a prime example of why they didn't offer this service before and soon will stop offering it.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I knew I'd get a reply like that.

In actual fact all I asked them to do was change Interleaving Max Delays, I had a reply from someone at Sky saying that my max delays would be changed to 8 within 24 hours. No where did it say my connection speed would be capped at 5120/416. I can understand capping a line to a little bit lower than what one used to get, as the whole point of Interleaving is to make a connection more stable. But this kind of reduction is ridiculous, and there is absolutely no need to cap the upload speed especially as I am paying for 768Kbps. I work in tech support, and if someone asks me to do something or try something I do it, but I don't go and fiddle with a whole load of other settings at the same time which is obviously what has happened here. Granted I have created the problem myself because I asked Sky to change something, but this shouldn't have happened if the original support request was understood.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

the upload shouldn't have changed at all, that's for sure - but what kinda stats were u getting before you called them?

have seen a lot of Max customers getting uploads reduced for no reason so not sure what's going on there...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      the upload shouldn't have changed at all, that's for sure - but what kinda stats were u getting before you called them?

have seen a lot of Max customers getting uploads reduced for no reason so not sure what's going on there...
      I've got a long line, but was seeing up to 11,000kbps downstream sync, and 768kbps upstream. Attenuation was 44.5dB.

I am not trying to have a go at Sky - they have provided me with excellent service since December last year when I had its broadband installed. However, I saw the posts regarding Max Delays and the post that says Tier 3 should now lower max delays to 8 if the customer requests it, and thought I would try it out. I can appreciate that this has caused more hassle for Sky, but if I had known that Sky would cap the connection to less than half of what I got originally, and put me back on ADSL (not on ADSL2+ now...), then I wouldn't have asked in the first place.

AndyL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Balmoral
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cromozone View Post
      I knew I'd get a reply like that.
      It's well deserved.

In actual fact all I asked them to do was change Interleaving Max Delays, I had a reply from someone at Sky saying that my max delays would be changed to 8 within 24 hours. No where did it say my connection speed would be capped at 5120/416. I can understand capping a line to a little bit lower than what one used to get, as the whole point of Interleaving is to make a connection more stable. But this kind of reduction is ridiculous, and there is absolutely no need to cap the upload speed especially as I am paying for 768Kbps. I work in tech support, and if someone asks me to do something or try something I do it, but I don't go and fiddle with a whole load of other settings at the same time which is obviously what has happened here. Granted I have created the problem myself because I asked Sky to change something, but this shouldn't have happened if the original support request was understood.
      From the advice to Sky staff

"Please ensure you leave the customer with a stable line after completing this."

They were doing their job as per their instructions. This has now resulted in multiple phone calls and staff time taken up. My point stands.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

the reasoning for Sky lowering the MD (as said before) is to make sure line is stable when doing so - if reducing your line to 8s made it unstable they prob capped your line to what the DSL checker recommends, which would appear to be 5MB....

tbh, with that attenuation - you shouldn't have been on ADSL2+ from the start, 8MB/gdmt would've been more beneficial.

does your line seem quicker since changes made? id assume before that error build up was large and now non-existent so maybe in the long run it's for the best...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast