Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

To get max delay reduced dont bother with online form

This is a discussion on To get max delay reduced dont bother with online form within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy the reasoning for Sky lowering the MD (as said before) is to make sure line is ...

AndyL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Balmoral
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: To get max delay reduced dont bother with online form

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      the reasoning for Sky lowering the MD (as said before) is to make sure line is stable when doing so - if reducing your line to 8s made it unstable they prob capped your line to what the DSL checker recommends, which would appear to be 5MB....

tbh, with that attenuation - you shouldn't have been on ADSL2+ from the start, 8MB/gdmt would've been more beneficial.

does your line seem quicker since changes made? id assume before that error build up was large and now non-existent so maybe in the long run it's for the best...
      Quite.

2. Advertisement
      cromozone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

the reasoning for Sky lowering the MD (as said before) is to make sure line is stable when doing so - if reducing your line to 8s made it unstable they prob capped your line to what the DSL checker recommends, which would appear to be 5MB....

tbh, with that attenuation - you shouldn't have been on ADSL2+ from the start, 8MB/gdmt would've been more beneficial.

does your line seem quicker since changes made? id assume before that error build up was large and now non-existent so maybe in the long run it's for the best...
      I have speed tests done on thinkbroadband.com ever since the line was activated in December. Every single check has the actual download speed over 8000Kbps. I have had ADSL2+ on this line since Bulldog enabled ADSL2+ on my exchange in 2006. My connection has been rock solid at 10000+/768 since it was activated. I see plenty of other users on ADSL2+ at attenuations over 40dB also. I understand that Tier 3 support has been asked to leave the customer with a stable line, but this kind of reduction seems a bit ridiculous. Now I have 20dB SNR margin downstream! That's some incredible cap...

Obviously all technical support is not the same, however when I was with Bulldog I had them disable interleaving on my ADSL2+ connection which resulted in a slightly lower connection speed (9000kbps+ instead of 10000kbps) but stability was identical. If I had known Sky support would act so differently I would not have asked them to do anything. I apologise if this has happened before and I simply haven't seen it posted, but all I have seen is other users having max delays reduced without a speed cap (or certainly without one that knocks 5Mbps off the sync, and puts you on the same upload as Mid).

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cromozone View Post
      Obviously all technical support is not the same, however when I was with Bulldog I had them disable interleaving on my ADSL2+ connection which resulted in a slightly lower connection speed (9000kbps+ instead of 10000kbps) but stability was identical.
      Google Fastpath, Interleaving or Max Delays. I think it might clear up some stuff. You didn't disable interleaving, you were switched to fastpath etc.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
      Google Fastpath, Interleaving or Max Delays. I think it might clear up some stuff. You didn't disable interleaving, you were switched to fastpath etc.
      That's fair enough - I was switched to Fastpath.

I think both of you guys have got completely the wrong end of the stick though. My original post was only to let other people that are considering asking Sky to change this setting know my own experiences. If it sounded like I was having a go at Sky then I apologise for that as it was not meant to sound this way. My point is to make other users realise that this change isn't a simple be all and end all solution as Sky will likely cap their connection. As previously stated, it looks like Tier 3 support take a look at the estimated maximum speed the line should support and cap you at this; if you punch my phone number into samknows' availability checker then it will report 5Mbps or greater for DSLmax. Whether or not my line syncs at 8128Kbps on DSLmax doesn't actually matter to Sky

Fire & Brimstone is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Pollok
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Red face Re: To get max delay reduced dont bother with online form

I must be lucky in that my download speed actually improved by 1000 kps to an average of 12000 to 13000 kps when they adjusted my delay. The tech on tier 3 must have checked my line and noted its speed could be increased.

Here's hoping my luck continues.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

no you weren't switched to Fastpath as Sky don't offer it, they reduced the delay on the interleve...

and yeah, they shoulda taken into account attenuation but Sky's tech support doesn't base anything on that other than the higher it is, the slower the speed of the line. Anyone over 35 will more than likely be put on gdmt - regardless of current sync speed - as the majority will benefit from it.

I know what you're saying, just explaining the logic behind what Sky have done...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

no you weren't switched to Fastpath as Sky don't offer it, they reduced the delay on the interleve...

and yeah, they shoulda taken into account attenuation but Sky's tech support doesn't base anything on that other than the higher it is, the slower the speed of the line. Anyone over 35 will more than likely be put on gdmt - regardless of current sync speed - as the majority will benefit from it.

I know what you're saying, just explaining the logic behind what Sky have done...
      The Fastpath statement was in relation to Bulldog, not Sky

I can see why Sky support have done what they have done, but the problem seems to be in getting them to undo it even if it means having the interleaving max delays put back to default (I don't really mind!). I would have appreciated an email from Sky support telling me that my connection had been capped for stability, rather than just leaving me to find out myself in the morning. As previously stated I was not told that my connection would be capped...

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

fair play on the Bulldog bit, my bad

as for the capping, they shoulda told you they were doing it - I always would if i'd done it
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

This has now been resolved - spoke to Tier 3 this morning who put my profile back to ADSL2+ but left the max delays set at 8, all going well so far!

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cromozone View Post
      This has now been resolved - spoke to Tier 3 this morning who put my profile back to ADSL2+ but left the max delays set at 8, all going well so far!
      Happy days

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast