Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ping spikes

This is a discussion on ping spikes within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Dear All I've had a look at the posts regarding high pings and have not found the problem I face, ...

Somerled is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01383
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question ping spikes

Dear All

I've had a look at the posts regarding high pings and have not found the problem I face, so hopefully I'm not asking anything that has been answered elsewhere (if I am - sorry!), but my problem is not so much high pings (although they are a bit higher than I like) but ping spikes.

Basically, I recently moved from connect to Mid packages after my local exchange was upgraded. Since then, while playing BF2 my ping sits at around 80 - 90 but regularly (ie at least once a minute) spikes to 800 - 900! This never used to happen with connect and is making the game unplayable. I've run TCP optimizer, but not seen any real improvement. Any suggestions?

Somer

2. Advertisement
      AndyL is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Balmoral
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: ping spikes

Quote Originally Posted by Somerled View Post
      Dear All

I've had a look at the posts regarding high pings and have not found the problem I face, so hopefully I'm not asking anything that has been answered elsewhere (if I am - sorry!), but my problem is not so much high pings (although they are a bit higher than I like) but ping spikes.

Basically, I recently moved from connect to Mid packages after my local exchange was upgraded. Since then, while playing BF2 my ping sits at around 80 - 90 but regularly (ie at least once a minute) spikes to 800 - 900! This never used to happen with connect and is making the game unplayable. I've run TCP optimizer, but not seen any real improvement. Any suggestions?

Somer
      If you mean tracert's then its not really a problem, if you mean in game it is

Tracing route to multiplay.co.uk [85.236.96.22]
      over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.0.1
      2 70 ms 70 ms 96 ms cr0.nibml.uk.easynet.net [87.87.251.226]
      3 57 ms 56 ms 56 ms ip-87-87-167-97.easynet.co.uk [87.87.167.97]
      4 * * 2624 ms ip-89-200-133-147.ov.easynet.net [89.200.133.147
      ]
      5 69 ms 69 ms 69 ms linx1.multiplay.co.uk [195.66.224.224]
      6 69 ms 70 ms 69 ms www1.multiplay.co.uk [85.236.96.22]

you're not alone but the tracert's don't really mean much, perhaps the server is busy and just dropped the request or lowered it's priority. I'm playing CSS with a ping of 70/80 and hitting just fine. Dunno if this helps tho.

Saturday is offline Sky User Super Mod
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Somerled View Post
      while playing BF2 my ping sits at around 80 - 90 but regularly (ie at least once a minute) spikes to 800 - 900!
      Look to line errors as the cause. Please post your full stats.

medicmanonet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01633485
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Question Re: ping spikes

Hi, I'm going to sort of steal the thread here as it's been a bit redundant for about a month and I have exactly the same problem.

I have huge connection interupts in all online games I play ping is genrally around 100 (depends on game and server), but I regularly (maybe every minute) get conneciton interupts with big pings up 1000. I've had it ever since with sky in new house (well its 50 years old and I moved in last year so its new to me.

Basically I have replaced internal phone wiring with Cat5E and ADSLNation phone sockets. I have one new master phone socket (ADSL NAtion I think) then about 10Meter of Cat5E then another ADSL nation extension socket with built in filter. I have one master wireless phone connected to this and 3 wireless phones connected to the master wireless phone (not master socket). I have router connected to this extion socket on the unfiltered side with an ADSL Nation cable (RJ11?).

I have 2 pcs connected wirelessly to the router, both have the same connection problems with the interupts. I have tried with both switch on and each one switched on independantly. I have good wireless cxonnection to my router (one pc is in same room).

After installing the new internall wireing and sockets my connection is much more stable than it used to be, although not any faster. Exchange is around 1KM line of sight, but obviously BT ran my cable to the next town and then back to me as the Attenuation shows around 4-5KM cable length.

Full Stats:

/usr/sbin/adslctl: ADSL driver and PHY status
      Status: Showtime Channel: INTR, Upstream rate = 416 Kbps, Downstream rate = 5056 Kbps
      Link Power State: L0
      Mode: G.DMT
      Channel: Interleave
      Trellis: ON
      Line Status: No Defect
      Training Status: Showtime
      Down Up
      SNR (dB): 10.4 14.0
      Attn(dB): 54.0 31.5
      Pwr(dBm): 19.2 3.3
      Max(Kbps): 5632 1024
      Rate (Kbps): 5056 416
      G.dmt framing
      K: 159(0) 14
      R: 16 16
      S: 1 16
      D: 64 8
      ADSL2 framing
      MSGc: 1 1
      B: 162 14
      M: 1 16
      T: 1 1
      R: 16 16
      S: 1.0981 17.0666
      L: 1304 120
      D: 64 8
      Counters
      SF: 12391895 12391893
      SFErr: 1592 116
      RS: 842648928 52665545
      RSCorr: 38303356 4628
      RSUnCorr: 55225 0

HEC: 1528 92
      OCD: 138 0
      LCD: 0 0
      Total Cells: 2511975688 0
      Data Cells: 219807209 0
      Drop Cells: 0
      Bit Errors: 0 0

ES: 782 0
      SES: 464 0
      UAS: 561 0
      Total time = 1 days 14 hours 38 min 31 sec
      SF = 13207667
      CRC = 2289
      LOS = 544
      LOF = 0
      ES = 782
      Latest 1 day time = 14 hours 38 min 31 sec
      SF = 3100547
      CRC = 308
      LOS = 64
      LOF = 0
      ES = 75
      Latest 15 minutes time = 8 min 31 sec
      SF = 30052
      CRC = 2
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1
      Previous 15 minutes time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52931
      CRC = 230
      LOS = 2
      LOF = 0
      ES = 11
      Previous 1 day time = 24 hours 0 sec
      SF = 5082263
      CRC = 1066
      LOS = 127
      LOF = 0
      ES = 194
      15 minutes interval [-30 min to -15 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52930
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0
      15 minutes interval [-45 min to -30 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52989
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 1
      LOF = 0
      ES = 1
      15 minutes interval [-60 min to -45 min] time = 15 min 0 sec
      SF = 52931
      CRC = 0
      LOS = 0
      LOF = 0
      ES = 0

My line errors seem to be aroun 0.01% or less so I would not think this is the reason for my huge connection interupts during game play. Also I sometimes think that I am getting interupts on web browsing as there are delays in loading pages sometimes.

I have just emailed sky to change my Delay, but do you think that this will cure my interupts problem??

I have just ordered a 10M network cable to connet PC to router direct to remove wireless from the equation. ALso I have tried another router with same results (albeit another Netgear DG834 unit, but not sky's).

HELP!

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

if ur using wireless for gaming no wonder you have issues - its no good for gaming (and personally, no good for anything!!)

best thing, if possible, is to try the router in master/test socket with nothing else on it and see what happens to the pings...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotTheEnemy View Post
      if ur using wireless for gaming no wonder you have issues - its no good for gaming (and personally, no good for anything!!)

best thing, if possible, is to try the router in master/test socket with nothing else on it and see what happens to the pings...
      Hi,

using the master socket doesn't make any difference for me, as I have already sorted out all the internal wiring.

I have puirchased a 10 meter network cable to try without the wireless, but I am thinking it might not make any difference. I did originally have the Pc cabled to the router, but the internal wiring was lousy so I had a poor connection (moslty in evenings). I stil had the CI's when direct cable connected.

The cable is coming wednesday or tuesday so I f I finish my uni assignments I can play with it then.

I am just wondering what else it could be. BTW I used wireless on my other PC in my old house and I can't say I had CI's then.. well at least not often enought to really notice. Wireless is better than running 50ft of cable thought all the decoated walls, and I coudl use laptop in garden,dont fall over the wire, etc.

So wireless is good for some things. Just not very secure.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

its definately not good enough for gaming - but yes i agree its a 'convinient' technology, if a very young (and flawed) one
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

HiPing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SELBY
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Question Re: ping spikes

Are you using Vista?
      Since switching to Vista, I noticed that my pings (via wireless) would suddenly spike to between 700-1500 every minute or so. I had been happily using wireless for gaming on XP with no probs, my normal ping on sky via ethernet was between 30-33ms and with wireless on it was just the same, maybe 1-2ms more. So in the end I went back to XP for online gaming and the prob with the spikes disappeared. Apparently its a "vista feature", in that it constantly searches for an available network every minute or so and you cant turn it off, (XP has the same feature, but you can turn it off). Being unable to use third party wireless software like I do with my Belkin in XP, doesnt help either.
      If you google "wireless ping spikes vista" more info can be found on it.

Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Thanks HiPing, you have identified my problem (well possibly).

Yes I am using Windows Vista 32bit and I have a linksys wmp54G version 4.1 pci wireless network card.

If I run a ping test constantly to my rounter I get a huge spike at around 60-70 seconds. Normally my ping to the router is <1ms, but when the spike happen it is anywhere from 1500-2500ms.

to run a ping test start a command window (type 'cmd' at the search bar in windows start menu and press the enter key). Once you have command open type in 'ping 192.168.0.1 /t' this will contantly test your ping. to stop it hold down the control key and press the 'c' key at same time.

Now doing a google search as you advised put up a lot of info and advice.. so far none has worked for me. I am still trying to get rid of the spikes.

My 10m network cable should arrive tommorrow so I can really check if it is the vista spike causing the problem.

ta

HiPing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SELBY
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks

Medicmanonnet,
      Sorry that I forgot to mention the ping test to router, I did this test also, with the same results, but forgot to mention it in the previous post. As you are also using Vista, I am certain it is the culprit. Unfortunately, the info and advice found on google did nothing to fix it for me also, but it highlighted it as a common problem. There is a thread on the Microsoft forum (somewhere, cant remember) listing this problem, but whether Microsoft take notice of it,,,,well, I wont hold my breath.
      Update: Tried ethernet cable with Vista and lo and behold the spikes are non-existant, cant use the cable all the time though, as its a trip hazard, (have to stretch it over the living room floor, dont want my kiddies ending up hospital because of dads surfing
      Last edited by HiPing; 27-11-07 at 12:52 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast