Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ping spikes

This is a discussion on ping spikes within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Well after further research I have found that a sort of fix of the vista spikes is to use a ...

medicmanonet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01633485
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: ping spikes

Well after further research I have found that a sort of fix of the vista spikes is to use a bit of software called vista anti-lagg. Unfortunately the linksys WMP54G vista drivers dont work with vista anti-lagg, so I had to install the linksys XP drivers and then use Anti-lagg.

Running a constant ping test to your router I think will show up any other problems. I will still try the cable to see if any difference, especially when SKy eventually drop my delay form 64 to 8ms

2. Advertisement
      HiPing is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: SELBY
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

I tried that Vista Anti Lag but it didnt work with either vista drivers or xp belkin drivers. So until microsoft bring out a fix (if ever), I'll be sticking to XP for my online gaming (no DX10, but to be honest, I dont think I'll miss it)

has2bok is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: lurgan
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

You could always try homeplug devices. The use your mains wiring for networking and are meant to be very good. There are different speed devices 14Mb, 85Mb and 200Mb.

You will need a minimum of 2 devices.

Good luck.

medicmanonet is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: 01633485
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well, sky dropped my delay and it has improved my ping.

I have actually set my main PC up on a wired network and this has made game play better compared to the wireless. I have no real idea why.. it maybe that the other PC was always using the wireless a little bit. The vista antilag and linksys XP drivers solved the vista pooling the rounter every 60-60 seconds, so the lagg spikes were already fixed before going for wired. I would not say the ping is better on the wired, it just seems better game play.

I have actually used my internal phone wireing (spare unused cables - need 4 cores) and just fitted network faceplates to either end. I have about 15 meters of phone able between to network faceplates, then a 10m network cable (cost about 2), and also a 5M network cable. All works fine at 100Mbit.

I suppose if you wanted to try wired over wireless for gameplay, you could buy a long network cable and run it around the house to try for a day. I am sure I saw 25 meter cable for around 5-10 somewhere. It would probably be worth it for the diagnostics side of things and to answer anyones doubts one way or the other.

Being able to use the phone wiring to set the network up, was the only real option for me long term. My phone is not connected at all on the run I am usning. If you use 2 cores of the same cable run for the phone as well as the network, you must ensure that you have surge suppressors on the network side of the cores, else you 'might' fry your network cards.

In summary changing from the wireless (2 plus pcs using router) to wired (for main pc and wireless for others) network has improved the feel of gameplay. On wireless with antilag and linksys XP drivers constant ping to router was usually <1ms with sometimes 2-3ms. On wired it is always <1ms.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12