Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Max Delays and Firewalls

This is a discussion on Max Delays and Firewalls within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Thought I'd make a post, firstly to say thanks for all the invaluable advice there has been and to relay ...

norks27 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cheam, Surrey
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Max Delays and Firewalls

Thought I'd make a post, firstly to say thanks for all the invaluable advice there has been and to relay to you my own recent experiences, plus a question about Firewall choice.

Tier 3 and Max Delay Setting
      Prior to my contacting sky's tech dept I had been suffering rather poor latencies on World of Warcraft, generally 200 and at times it would go through the roof and a 3k ping means the game is unplayable. Having read as many of the posts here I thought I'd give the max delay thing a go.

The advice to ring late at night was spot on and once i'd got through the questions designed for idiots I got transfered to tier3. I was honest with the techie, saying it was a World of Warcraft issue and high pings. Five minutes later and a few checks and he changed my max delay to 8ms. The result was excellent, instead of 200 and above it was stable at around 50ms. In my opinion that is very reasonable for WoW. Also did a ping check to bbc.co.uk, usually I was getting 68ms and now it was 34, halved. Thanks again to all who posted on this forum, the advice was invaluable and obviously I'm rather happy.

Choice of Firewall
      I've noted that that many on this forum think Macfee is useless, and I'm inclined to agree. What firewalls are people using? Anyone using Comodo, a freeware firewall which seems to get good reviews, just wondered if any of the gamers had reccomendations for a better firewall.

Thanks

Richard

2. Advertisement
      IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

Re: Max Delays and Firewalls

McAfee - 7 years with NO issues whatsoever......cannot for the life of me see what problems anyone is having. If a program asks for access and I know what it is, I grant it - simple as that

Might have something to do with my PC being set to DMZ on my router but i can't comment on that...
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

anephric is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I use Comodo and it's certainly the best free (and indeed retail) firewall I've tried (I've run ZoneAlarm *shiver*, Norton, BitDefender and Kerio in the past). It's a lot less entry-level-user-friendly than some, though, and setting up permissions for some applications can be a little tricky. It seems watertight as hell, though, if you use it properly.

norks27 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Cheam, Surrey
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Thanks for the replies, I'm now using Comodo and so far no problems, also the PC has speeded up , I suspect Macfee is a bit resource hungry.