Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should i go for SKY MAX?? (Zen User)

This is a discussion on Should i go for SKY MAX?? (Zen User) within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi people, im getting mixed signals from the various boards (i tend to use the adslguide forum quite regularly, and ...

mrvanx is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Melrosegate (MYMSG)
      Broadband ISP: Sky Max
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504
      Sky TV: Sky+
      Thanks

Should i go for SKY MAX?? (Zen User)

Hi people, im getting mixed signals from the various boards (i tend to use the adslguide forum quite regularly, and this forum was recommended)

Ive recently got myself a xbox360 elite and have been playing on Xbox Live quite a bit.
      At the moment my connection is the standard BT MAX 8Mbit provided by Zen (24.99 a month), its been nice and quick etc... however my exchange was recently enabled for sky broadband and i noticed the 16mbit is only a tenner ontop of my TV package with them.

What is the performance like on the 16mbit version??

• Is the download speed Good, ie should i expect like 12-14mbit speeds if my line currently accepts the full 8mbit?
      • Are pings acceptable (in the 0-50 ms range?)
      • Does sky employ any traffic shaping or port throttling (at peak/off-peak times?)

Id really be happy to be saving 14.99 a month since im in my last year of uni but id also need a decent quality connection not just for games but for using MATLAB and other progs via my uni's VPN.

Comments people...ive been told ur the guys to ask!

2. Advertisement
      reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Should i go for SKY MAX?? (Zen User)

You can check your potential speed using the tools in the 'tools and tutorials' link at the top.

you get what you pay for and at 10pm, sky is not aimed at gamers, but if you do a search on these forumes for 'max delay' you may find some info of use.

NewsreadeR is offline Site Founder
      Exchange: Marshalls Cross
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: Sagem F@ST 2504n
      Thanks
      Blog Entries

Is the download speed Good, ie should i expect like 12-14mbit speeds if my line currently accepts the full 8mbit?
      Depends on your line etc. Try http://www.skyuser.co.uk/tools/

Are pings acceptable (in the 0-50 ms range?)
      I am on MAX and average approx 30 - 40 BF2142 plays great

Does sky employ any traffic shaping or port throttling (at peak/off-peak times?)
      Only on the Connect Package, not Base, Mid or Max

~ Never, ever, argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience ~

Follow us on Twitter @skyuser

Thanks

By the looks of the ADSL2 speed checker I can get atleast 8MB on ADSL2....but ive based this on the line attenuation on the router at the moment.....when i went through the various regrades that seemed to change quite dramatically aswell as my SNR.

Only one last query really....is it likely to be a 12 month contract if i go for max?

At the mo ive got sky+ with the 6 mixes package so in total my sky bill should be around 32 as apposed to 22 for tv and 24.99 broadband.

Koala5 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Dunstable
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Yes it is a 12 month contract.

Thanks

I do have another query actually, i know this might be a sore subject to bring up but I feel it is pretty valid for migrations....
      ...the sky router, i know its the Netgear DG834GT....now since sky decided to be pig headed about the username and password etc....there have been some fiddling with the router firmware etc... to get the password/username for the connection.

WHY OH WHY OH WHY is this the case i mean im currently using a BIG collection of hardware which is set up with VPN and many firewall rules, seperate access points and a standalone router etc...
      Im bound by the T&Cs to use the sky router but have there been any definitive methods to "unlock" it to use as i like since id like to set firewall rules and etc..

reddwarfcrew is offline Sky User Moderator
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited Pro
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Thanks

yeah fair points, in which case continue to pay ZEN 14.99 more a monh.

There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mrvanx View Post
      I do have another query actually, i know this might be a sore subject to bring up but I feel it is pretty valid for migrations....
      ...the sky router, i know its the Netgear DG834GT....now since sky decided to be pig headed about the username and password etc....there have been some fiddling with the router firmware etc... to get the password/username for the connection.

WHY OH WHY OH WHY is this the case i mean im currently using a BIG collection of hardware which is set up with VPN and many firewall rules, seperate access points and a standalone router etc...
      Im bound by the T&Cs to use the sky router but have there been any definitive methods to "unlock" it to use as i like since id like to set firewall rules and etc..
      You can extract the username and password using Mognuts utility and use your own router + you can flash the firmware back to Netgears version proceedures for both are available on this website but as you say it would be against Sky's t & c's. Although I haven't heard of anyone getting there fingers wrapped yet.
      Most of the functionality of the router is still available including firewall set up.
      Its mainly the username and password they have hidden probably to stop novice's playing arround and cocking things up! Its not just Sky that are going down this route, BT have pretty much locked down the settings on there Home Hub.
      Last edited by Koala5; 29-08-07 at 01:02 PM.

Thanks

Yer i guess theres bound to be LOADS of support queries if its a self-install game.

Ive read up on flashing the latest firmware to the router and it seems pretty straight forward, even looks like you can always revert back to the sky firmware anyway!?

Id certainly like to have netgear firmware on the router since it would be almost IDENTICAL to the setup i have now. I have my MAC from my current provider so its make-my-mind up time.... il prolly end up tking the plung but its always good to query stuff like this if there are hardware limitations etc..

Sky TV:
      Thanks

If you already have a Netgear router already then if it was me I would extract the username and passoword from the Sky router and then use your own Netgear, mainly because if you need tech support anytime from Sky and you ring them they may interigate your router and if they find its not there firmware they wont want to know, at least if you keep the Sky router intact as it is then you can just plug it back in and ring Sky and they wont be any the wiser.
      Last edited by Koala5; 29-08-07 at 02:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast