Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Extremely high latency on WoW

This is a discussion on Extremely high latency on WoW within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; hey all, been having problems with WoW since i switched to it. Web pages all load fine, can go on ...

WrightVGC is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 2mb broadband
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Extremely high latency on WoW

hey all, been having problems with WoW since i switched to it. Web pages all load fine, can go on all my usual sites i did with virgin media its just with WoW. If i go into busy areas or instances my latency goes up to 6k-20k ms, i rarely had these problems with virgin and now the game is pretty much unplayable.

I did that speed test thing and got this

i also did a trace route, if thats any use ill post it.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated and if you need any extra info just ask (and also would appreciate if you could say how i get the info, im not great with internet connections, modems or whatever )

thanks in advance

2. Advertisement
      FallenEncore23 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: 16mb apparently
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Extremely high latency on WoW

i have exacly the same problem, its sky..and the noice on the there lines apparently..nothing they can do im told my ping also jumps.. i miss vm and that s say much

Undecided Adrian is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Stevenage
      Broadband ISP: BT
      Router: Non Sky Router
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

It's World Of Warcraft, I have played it on the EU servers since the start and it goes through periods of really rubbish latency for some servers while some are fine.

VM customers had the same problems start of this year on certain servers.

Blizzard EU are frankly rubbish all they say is to post trace routes on the official forums and to switch the server you play on, considering I have 7 lvl 70 characters I don't really want to do that and for 6 of the characters I was on Sky at the time I took them from lvl 60-70 and had better latency than I had when I was on BT.

Thanks

Ahhh and Blizzard have now admitted that they have a problem.

WoW-Europe.com Forums -> Regarding reported latency issues

And still Virgin media customers are still the worse affected, sheesh it's coming up to over a year with known issues with NTL/VM and they still can't get it sorted.

mike_b is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Blackwood
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

im about to activate with sky bb shortly. Does anyone know which servers are most effected?. Ive had no problems with aol

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

well im on khadgar so you best avoid there for now. So it's because of sky or blizzard then? I just wanna know where the problem lies. Ive been told McAfee security centre could slow your connection on WoW

slinky is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

i had been having latency issue recently, however I changed my wireless usb dongle to a pci card from netgear and its now much better.
      im getting 40 - 200 ms on Dragonblight.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

so anyone know if its possible that the problem may be solved in the coming months or something?

Because what im thinking is that it because of something to do with blizzard's end as people have said. I mean i can surf fine, loads web pages and downloads large files with ease, i can play xbox live with only a few problems sometimes. It's just warcraft.
      Last edited by WrightVGC; 09-08-07 at 06:43 PM.

dawatticus is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Well, ive been playing Kor'gal on Tiscali and getting pings of 6k-20k , not tried yet with Sky as I cancelled my subs - completely impossible to play with a 20k ping.....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by WrightVGC View Post
      so anyone know if its possible that the problem may be solved in the coming months or something?

Because what im thinking is that it because of something to do with blizzard's end as people have said. I mean i can surf fine, loads web pages and downloads large files with ease, i can play xbox live with only a few problems sometimes. It's just warcraft.
      World Of Warcraft is now 2.5 years old and these problems have been going on for about 2 years. Blizzard are unable or unwilling to get them fixed and I've played WoW on NTL,BT and Sky and these problems have all been present on all 3 ISP's.

The main problem is Vivendi (who publishes WoW) wanted certain things when they launched the game.

1 - Region locking the game. I am part of an international guild and we had to split the membership up as Vivendi didn't want all us Europeans playing on the US servers even though we tend to get just as good or even better pings and latency on US servers.
      2 - After region locking us they then decide to pick a French company to be their ISP (as Vivendi is also French they picked another French company). The only major player in France is the telecoms company Telia. Which frankly makes all our ISP's seem professional and business like. Since day 1 they have been unable to cope with the traffic and have been frankly very poor when it comes to fixing things. When one of these lag fests start Blizz inssts that it's all our ISP's, PC's fault etc then after a few weeks of major complaining on the official forums the finally admit that the problem is with Telia and they are trying to get it fixed.

This is why I have closed my account and I shall not be going back, especially with Conan and Warhammer Online coming out in the next 6 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast