Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Nintendo DS problems

This is a discussion on Nintendo DS problems within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Hi there guys, sorry I didnt know where to post my problem so I created a new thread (modds, i ...

Ki113r 7 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Nintendo DS problems

Hi there guys, sorry I didnt know where to post my problem so I created a new thread (modds, i hope that isnt a problem)

I've had Sky broadband for about 3-4 months now and I'm currently running via a wireless connection. I wanted to connect my Nintendo DS to the router to play online as it supports wi fi gaming. However, whenever I go to play a wi fi game, my DS says it cant connect to the router because it has "security features" that avoid it from accessing the connection. Now theres actually a USB wi fi adapter thats available for the DS and Wii to take it online, but that isnt necessary for me as I have a wireless router. I wanted to know what I had to do to my router that would grant my DS access to its connection, what settings to configure etc.

I considered changing my security settings from WPA to WEP, but I didnt wanna sacrafice security for the sake of taking my DS and Wii online. If this is the only method then I'll have to invest in a wi fi adapter.

I also had another query, since I switched from Bulldog to Sky I havent been able to connect to Sky Broadband via the yellow ethernet cable. Because of this I've had to settle for wireless, I was hoping someone could help in regards to setting up a wired connection and how I'd go about doing it. When I first got the broadband kit, I hooked it all up and then fiddled around on "My Network Connections" on my laptop, but had no luck in getting a connection going.

All help is appreciated, cheers.

2. Advertisement
      mattylad is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LCROSS
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD box
      Thanks

Re: Nintendo DS problems

afaik you have to have it set to WEP & certain channel.

try the nintendo site for more info.

manje10 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

The ds can only support a wep encryption there are no security problems changing to wep most over internet providers use wep and not wpa so if i was you just change it to wep.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Cheers for that fellas, is there another thread you could link me to that explains how to change from WPA to WEP? I tried earlier but I lost my net connection completely and had to reset my router to factory settings so I wasnt sure what I'd done wrong. I followed all the steps, noted down my WEP keys and then tried them when trying to access my router but it didnt happen for me.

Cheers

Jaunty is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

here's what i do to use my DS ok sky broadband without getting rid of wpa. I don't know much about it but people say wpa is better, so i'm happier keeping it.

You can buy a USB dongle for taking your DS online. You plug it into your pc when your pc is connected to the internet, and connect through that. Nintendo makes one, or there are 3rd party ones that I hear are just as good if not better (PSP support also).

The wii can connect through wpa so no problems there.

Hope this helps

KieranG is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Warrington
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I personally just use WEP and can conect to both DS and Wii.
      WEP is just as good as WPA for home use. Unless your closest neighbor is a hacker, I wouldn't worry about it.

Exchange:
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaunty View Post
      here's what i do to use my DS ok sky broadband without getting rid of wpa. I don't know much about it but people say wpa is better, so i'm happier keeping it.

You can buy a USB dongle for taking your DS online. You plug it into your pc when your pc is connected to the internet, and connect through that. Nintendo makes one, or there are 3rd party ones that I hear are just as good if not better (PSP support also).

The wii can connect through wpa so no problems there.

Hope this helps
      Cheers for that mate, I'd already considered the USB wi fi adapter but didnt wanna invest one seeing as I had a router. I'll just have to go with WEP, hopefully I wont compromise security too much, could anyone post a link or a tutorial on how to successfully change the security settings to WEP from WPA?