Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Low Pings WITHOUT Fastpath!!!

This is a discussion on Low Pings WITHOUT Fastpath!!! within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Right. Pings are a bit of a sore subject on this forum, as everyone seems to think that Sky pings ...

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Low Pings WITHOUT Fastpath!!!

Right. Pings are a bit of a sore subject on this forum, as everyone seems to think that Sky pings are bull cookies. Well that is simply not true.

Now you might think the simplest option is to get your line switched to Fastpath and all your worries will be gone. Well, as you all very well know, Sky aint gonna put you on Fastpath, so that plan is out the window.

However, There is something that can be done. If you can survive going through Slow connection t/s for a ping issue, you can get put through to Tier 3, who can then make adjustments that will lower your ping, without sticking you on Fastpath.

'What is this glorious method???' i hear you cry in unison. Well I shall tell you...

Max Delays...

yes thats right. If Tier 3 set your max delays at 8 rather than 32, your pings drop dramatically.

So go ahead, quit asking for Fastpath, start asking for Max delays, cos this way you get the speed and the low ping times.

Indefatigable

2. Advertisement
      PDQ
      PDQ is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Re: Low Pings WITHOUT Fastpath!!!

Quote Originally Posted by indefatigable View Post
      'What is this glorious method???' i hear you cry in unison. Well I shall tell you...

Max Delays...

yes thats right. If Tier 3 set your max delays at 8 rather than 32, your pings drop dramatically.

So go ahead, quit asking for Fastpath, start asking for Max delays, cos this way you get the speed and the low ping times.

Indefatigable
      I'm going to ring Sky tomoz and see if they can sort out my ping problem. My kids aren't happy with me at all for changing ISP's.

I've only been on Sky for a few days now, so I hope I have some clout with this 8 day cooling off period.

I'll let you know how I got on.

Wish me luck.
      Last edited by PDQ; 05-08-07 at 10:57 PM.

Limey Guest
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP:
      Router:
      Sky TV:

does this work

Bully is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sudbury
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Yes this does work!!! I have had a ping issue when Sky switched me to the mid package, pings between 75 and 100ms. I rang Sky 5 times with no joy, I rang this morning and got put through to tier 3, the guy told me there is nothing they can do as they do not support on-line gaming, I said so you cannot configure my line to help my ping "like max delay setting", the guy said he will have a look, the max delay was set to 32, he said he could try changing max delay to 8, once he done this, my ping instantly dropped to 28ms and now all is well!!!!

The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Remember that lowering the max delay can have other affects on the line regarding stability and error correction. And if your on adsl2+ the nominal max delay is 32ms each way and while this can be lowerd can affect a high speed line drastically so its not just a simple "fix" in these cases. It will require a bit of testing to make sure its going to be okay at those settings.

Although if your on g.dmt there should be no issues at all with 8ms.

Sky_Surfer is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
      Anyone know if I can get through to tier 3 and convince them to do this if I have any problems will they be happy enough to swap it back? I am on g.dmt.

Thanks in advance

The Doctor is offline Skyuser Member
      Exchange: SSNOR
      Thanks

Sure, just phone through to tier1 with a slow connection isue, just go with the flow. yes i have it in the test socket when you get through just tell them your getting high pings anychance they can check the delays for you.

Exchange:
      Thanks

cheers for the quick reply I shall give it a try tonight and will let you know how I get on.

Fingers Crossed!

Bully is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Sudbury
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Sky TV: Sky+ box
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
      Remember that lowering the max delay can have other affects on the line regarding stability and error correction. And if your on adsl2+ the nominal max delay is 32ms each way and while this can be lowerd can affect a high speed line drastically so its not just a simple "fix" in these cases. It will require a bit of testing to make sure its going to be okay at those settings.

The guy I spoke to at tier 3 was aware of the possible problems that maybe caused by changing max delay to 8, so he made sure my line was stable after changing settings. And all was good.

Exchange:
      Thanks

well no joy for me apparently tier 3 have refused to take my call without a ticket number. And I really cant be bothered to keep phoning back and going on hold.

I have to say the c/s man was most helpful & polite, he could have been lying but I get the feeling he actually did try to help. After informing me tier 3 wouldn't take the call he asked if I would like him to take me through some trouble shooting tips to see if we could sort my problem (of very slow speeds!).

In my opinion Sky should support gamers more. I mean what do people use pc's for? okay work would probably be the main answer but then Sky are not supplying a business broadband account, So kinda goes without saying there will be many gamers on sky.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast