Your forum username:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Welcome to Sky User - The Unofficial Support Forum for everything Sky! - Proudly helping over 65k members.

Advertisement

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Low Pings WITHOUT Fastpath!!!

This is a discussion on Low Pings WITHOUT Fastpath!!! within the Gaming on Sky forums, part of the Sky Broadband help category; Another happy chappy, thanks to this thread... Phoned sky and explained everthing, got a Tier 3 ticket but never got ...

Zipie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Mid
      Router: Netgear V1 DG834GT
      Sky TV: Sky Basic
      Thanks

Re: Low Pings WITHOUT Fastpath!!!

Another happy chappy, thanks to this thread...

Phoned sky and explained everthing, got a Tier 3 ticket but never got a call back. Never the less, my ping on BF2 is round 30 now and my connection is very stable now (Never drops out anymore)

Thanks to all and Sky Tech tier 1 and 3

2. Advertisement
      Squaddie is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Whitchurch
      Broadband ISP: Sky Broadband Unlimited
      Router: D-Link DSL-2640S
      Sky TV: Sky+ HD
      Thanks

I got through to Tier 3 after about 10 minutes on the phone to tier1. Turned my max delays down to 8 and what has it done? Not much. To a Jolt UT2k4 server my average ping is 4ms lower than what it was last night...

Still, can't fault the c/s.

indefatigable is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: BB tech Support + Max
      Router: Sky Hub SR101
      Sky TV: Sky+HD 2TB
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by skytsat1 View Post
      btw sky do not support business or gaming on line, ppl fone up and say they want T3 to reduce their ping from 32 -> 8 and they have to be told to go away and actualy figure out wat they r trying to say. the fact tht it takes Xms to ping 1 website an Yms another means absoultly nothing to u as ms is milli sec 1/1000 of a second. ping of anything over 200 makes a noticeable difference but ping of anything less is jus not woth complaing about.
      Yeah, but thats why I posted this thread. Not everyone is a technogeek who understands Pings and Max Delays, and what they actually do. I posted up the exact information needed for people to get their pings down, so that they did know exactly what to do.

If I get a call through, and they say 'I want my pings from 32 to 8' and there is no mention of max delays, I will tell them we cannot do that, because its nigh on impossible to get a 8ms ping on Any broadband service unless the gaming server and you are sharing the same exchange.

As long as Max Delays are mentioned, 95% of Tier 3 operators will know what your asking for, and sort it. Its a shame that only 10% of tier 1 operators will understand you. This procedure is not common knowledge, and I only know it cos one of my mates is Tier 3, so I told my team, and a couple of others, but we cant get the info out to other teams as its not an official procedure.

Besides, Soon Tier 1 will be able to change your line stats, and therefore, all Tier 1 operators will ahve to know of this procedure.

IWasNotTheEnemy is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: LWWIL
      Broadband ISP: Sky Fibre Unlimited
      Router: Sky Hub SR102
      Sky TV: Now TV
      Thanks

^ i dont see that happening as it defeats the point of tier 3 - giving tier 1 access to exchange profiles isn't very clever (no offence tier 1)
      -------------------------------------------

Useful Sticky: - How To Obtain Your Router Stats, BT Speed Test, Check For Test Socket

Exchange:
      Thanks

Well I can assure you it is happening. It might be 6 months away, but there is plans in place to introduce a system which allows tier 1 to cap line speeds, as 95% of tier 3 tickets are for line speed issues, and the 5 day turnaround is too long. Basically, if the issue can be resolved in 10 minutes instead of 5 days, i reckon that would be a good thing.

Admittedly, the system might not give access to change the max delays, but I dont see why not.

Strictly speaking, all tier 1 operators can access the line config systems already, its just none have been trained to use it, and if you try to do it, your instantly sacked.

If it does happen, it will leave Tier 3 to handle issues that arent speed related i.e. cease/reprovides and email issues (perhaps)

Gambit is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Broadband ISP: Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

I sent sky an email through the form asking them to lower the max delays from 32 to 8, and I got a reply in like a week (complete with typos and spelling errors) telling me they had "lowered my pings".
      No sooner had I received this reply when I realised my torrents were going unusually slow, so just to confirm I did a speed test, which showed that I had around 5000 kb/s down speed and about 60ms ping. It used to be around 10000 kb/s and 90ms, so nothing much has changed to my advantage, I was expecting like - 0-40ms area. Also I was on adsl2+ but now I seem to be on G.DMT if that's of any use. Could someone help?

Sickn0t3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

no1 would put me though to tier 3 and no1 would lower my max delays, no1 even knew what i was talking about.

so im just gonna cancel. it isnt worth it, if your a gamer and u wont play with a high ping then DO NOT move to sky. they dont care.

john316 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange: Lark Lane
      Broadband ISP: Still not on Max
      Router:
      Sky TV:
      Thanks

Should have just emailed them - sorted my request out in 3-4 days

Sickn0t3 is offline Sky User Member
      Exchange:
      Thanks

i have rang up about 8 time between last friday and today and T1 dont seem to know what a ping is, everyone thinks when i say i want my max delay lowered that i want my sky package lowered.

when i 1st rang up and told them my problem thay opend a ticket with T3 straight away and told me to ring back up to check it but it could take 4 days. i rang up and the guy said yea teh ticket has been closed because your now connected to our network, i told him that wasnt the problem in teh 1st place and he then proceeded to check all my internet setting on my pc and restared the router and asked me if could load web pages yet!

So i explained again that i NEVER had any problems with downloading or connecting to the sky network. and he was like o0o0o0o. so i was getting more and more angry and hung up.

rang back alot today and finally got another ticket for tier 3 so i gotta ring up later and check it, think i might cry if its not sorted this time.

Exchange:
      Thanks

Here is an extra tip for all those having trouble.

Send a request using the online form, but send it 3 times. Duplicates sometimes get picked up early, as it lowers the queue faster. So if there are 2 enquiries from the same person, the issue should get dealt with

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast